PDA

View Full Version : Altezza Light Conversion

Missbitchy
27-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Well, they have finally arrived from the USA and Pete fitted them yesterday. Those of you who have seen Mo's already know they need a little re-wiring, so here are some pics of what had to be done.

Pic 1 shows the original layout as they arrive from the USA.

Pic 2 shows the end result after Pete rewired them. The reason for this is of course that the indicators need to be amber in this country, so we swapped the reverse lights to indicators (thanks to Mo for supplying the special bulbs) and made the original indicators into fog lights.

Pete then rewired the dashboard fog switch to operate the new fog lights and rewired the fog lamp in the bumper to become the reverse lamp :thumbsup: Excuse the temporary clear perspex on there, it will be replaced with some proper stuff asap.

NevGroom
27-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I like that - I've had a set in the garage for 6 months and wondered what to do about the amber indicator requirement - I think you've given me the answer

HJM
27-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Looking good :thumbsup:

Shaz - looks like you've been busy polishing Pete's rear :shocked:

H

Missbitchy
27-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Shaz - looks like you've been busy polishing Pete's rear :shocked:

Actually the car's not been cleaned for a while /help

And Pete has a big red burn across his back where he was bent over the boot for so long yesterday rewiring it all - poor thing :embarasse

Bal
30-06-2005, 01:39 PM
im confused ... how have your sorted out the indicators??

looks nice.

Missbitchy
30-06-2005, 04:45 PM
im confused ... how have your sorted out the indicators??

looks nice.

Ok now the reverse is now the indicator
indicator is now the fog
fog is now the reverse
stop is still stop .

Is that as clear as mud or wot!!!!!!! /pan

Big Ian
15-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Shaz/Pete /help

can you add a pici (or 2) of them lit up at night /Hmmm ......please :thumbsup:

Spirit
15-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Here you go mate, sorry the quality ain't great :embarasse

Big Ian
15-07-2005, 11:13 PM
:thumbsup: they look "well smart" i like the way the brake light is seperate from the side light........... /Hmmm

Spirit
15-07-2005, 11:17 PM
:thumbsup: they look "well smart" i like the way the brake light is seperate from the side light........... /Hmmm

Sorry mate should have explained.

Pic 1 and 2 are just tail lights, pic 3 is tail/brake/fogs all on together. The tail/brake lights are still a twin filament bulb system :thumbsup:

Rikki
25-05-2006, 01:05 PM
well its only been about a year since the last post but i have just bought a set of these lights and realised i needed to do something.

I have read a few of the posts about these lights and the 'How to' guide and its a great help so I will fit them when I get back. Is it as easy as swapping the bulbs round or is there additional wiring involved? Also as I have the V6, I will have no reverse light - is this ok?

cheers in advance

//edit: my bro was trying to fit them while I am work. having problems with the connections - should the US connections be that much different from the UK?

Spirit
25-05-2006, 05:50 PM
It's not a legal requirement to have a reversing light in this country.

If the V6 wiring is the same as the VR4 then yes you will have to rewire them as per the notes in this post.

Rikki
26-05-2006, 01:15 PM
a little bit of info for you all in regards to reverse lights. I asked our local policeman who deals with car cruises and general vehicle stuff and he has told me that the reversing lights ARE a legal requirement!

I am looking into this through other sources to find out what the deal is.

glover
26-05-2006, 02:13 PM
This info is from a kit car site but I presume its the same.

This information is taken from the MOT Inspection Manual Section 7.3 issue date August 2004.

Do I need an exterior mirror?
Only if your vehicle was first used on or after 1 August 1978 when an exterior mirror is required to be fitted to the offside (right-hand side when seated in the driver's seat). You can fail if the mirror is not clearly visible from the driver's seat, or incapable of being adjusted to be clearly visible from the drivers seat.

Do I need a rear fog lamp?
Yes if your vehicle was first used on or after 1 April 1980. The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside and operates with dipped head lamps and the ignition switched on. An indicator (tell tale) lamp is required on the dash so you know the fog lamp is on.

Do I need hazard lights?
A hazard warning device is not required by regulation, but, if one is fitted, it must be tested, including tell tale lamp.

Do I need a reversing lamp?
As for hazards lights, but a good idea to have so other road or car park users know what you’re doing.

Can I repair a cracked lamp?
You can fail if a lamp is not in good working order, an effective proprietary repair {e.g. lens repair tape, etc) must be assessed on its merits, considering security, colour, light output and durability

For detailed information on what is included in the test and reasons for failure, locations of MOT test stations then have a look at www.motuk.co.uk
Contacting VOSA
The address of the local VOSA office is displayed in MOT testing stations or can be obtained from the general enquiry unit on 0845 600 5977 (local rate) or 0870 60 60 440 (national rate). Online at www.vosa.gov.uk

Rikki
26-05-2006, 02:30 PM
this is what the Policeman had to say about the matter, although he didnt directly answer my point about the light cluster not having a reverse light.

Simple answer is if it is on a car it must be working.

All lights are tested for operation, condition and security. Some lights are tested for other things also, such as correct type and colour, dip and aim, etc.

A lot of people think that because it may not be required by law they can take it off and throw it away, you can't, thats a construction and use offence.

stuey
29-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I think it's only if used/made post 78' again, as far as my MOT man told me as my 77' car passed without one, or rear fog or hazards !!

Reelax
12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
hi guys from the US. i know this is an old topic... but what size are the reverse lights? the reason i am asking is becuase i think i have a CLEAN solution for you in regards to the altezza conversion for the indicator / reverse bulb. they have just released dual filament bulbs here in the US that are LED... the cool part about this is that each filament can be a different color! so you could have one bulb in the reverse section of your altezzas that lights up white for reverse but when you hit your idicator, the white is turned off and replaced by an amber indicator. this is what i am talking about:

SwitchBack LED (http://autolumination.com/switchback.html)

btw, we are using them for our front corner lights as most of us here have cleared the corner so that all our lights appear white when off and when running at night... but we keep our amber indicators for signalling.

on a side note, it's funny that you guys want altezzas and we want JDM's... guess it's just what is not readily available that we desire!

The Vee
12-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Could be just the job!! Reverse lights are normally same wattage as indicator bulbs. 21W I think. Just looking at options for reverse as it's now getting dark a lot earlier as winter gets closer.

d i c k i e s
12-10-2006, 10:52 PM
looks nice, if i had a galant like dat.. id make sure id have those lights too.

triniVr4
13-10-2006, 01:26 AM
ive got a pair....but im tired of them...want ot go back to the stock look...anyone want to trade?....

Rikki
13-10-2006, 08:15 AM
This could defo sort my problem. Cost and delivery dependant but I might be interest ed soon

Rikki
19-12-2006, 10:59 AM
hi guys from the US. i know this is an old topic... but what size are the reverse lights? the reason i am asking is becuase i think i have a CLEAN solution for you in regards to the altezza conversion for the indicator / reverse bulb. they have just released dual filament bulbs here in the US that are LED... the cool part about this is that each filament can be a different color! so you could have one bulb in the reverse section of your altezzas that lights up white for reverse but when you hit your idicator, the white is turned off and replaced by an amber indicator. this is what i am talking about:

SwitchBack LED (http://autolumination.com/switchback.html)

btw, we are using them for our front corner lights as most of us here have cleared the corner so that all our lights appear white when off and when running at night... but we keep our amber indicators for signalling.

on a side note, it's funny that you guys want altezzas and we want JDM's... guess it's just what is not readily available that we desire!

Has anyone bought these yet? I am just curious to see if they solved the problem with the reverse light. Cheers :afro:

Spirit
19-12-2006, 02:08 PM
The Vee has some and hopes to trial them over the coming few weeks and if all ok I will be ordering some......so watch this space :happy:

Rikki
19-12-2006, 02:22 PM
The Vee has some and hopes to trial them over the coming few weeks and if all ok I will be ordering some......so watch this space :happy:

cool cool :D well if all ok I shall be ordering a set too :pimp2:

The Vee
20-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Yep have got a pair. Have tested them with a 12 volt supply and they do what they say on the tin. Will probably need a load bank for the the indicator circuit and of course a suitable bulb holder. The other test is to see that the two circuits are independent of each other internally and don't cause problems between the two circuits when both powered. But as Pete says, watch this space as I hope to have them fitted shortly.