PDA

View Full Version : Boost Leak

enigma
28-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Still cant find it! Spent an hour and a half tonight and still nothing :(

With the boost controller off I get 0.45Bar, a little down on where I used to be with it off. Taking the dump valve off completely changes nothing so the small leak I detected in the dump valve has no effect.

So I pressurised the new piping and all I managed to do was fire my home made pumper upper pipe accross the drive........guess there is no leak there then!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Why will my car not register any more than 200PS? Perhaps my RSM is buggered :(

HELP!

Tomorrow the wideband Lambda goes back on to see whats occuring.

A new intercooler should not be this painful!

Missbitchy
28-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Funny that - we cannot get our RSM to read above 230ps even though we use the same settings as the old VR4 - and that reads 300+ ! And yet, the car has been rolling roaded just under 300 - weird :embarasse

We now don't bother using the damn thing

The Vee
28-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Could it be the extra volume of the new IC? not that it should have been the case on Missbitchy's

bernmc
28-06-2005, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=The Vee]Could it be the extra volume of the new IC? not that it should have been the case on Missbitchy's[/QUOTE

I was thinking this too... and how about the pipes - bigger diameter? As you increase the diameter, flow will decrease...

enigma
29-06-2005, 06:34 AM
I thought about the volume affecting things, but the pipework is similar sized...........also others seem to have fitted this size core with good results??? :inquisiti

-LegnumVR4-
29-06-2005, 06:50 AM
I've had no problems with my setup, 600x270x76mm cooler, 2.5" intercooler pipes. Must be a leak somewhere /Hmmm

AllBeItMine
29-06-2005, 12:31 PM
i have a theory.

if you are running the same boost pressure with an uprated cooler.

the air charge will be cooler, effectively meaning you are sucking in and cramming more air into the engine

if you are getting close to where the boost cut comes in the ecu might kick into safe mode and start either over fueling or messing with the ignition

both of which can result in lose of power.

a leak is the most obvious, and with similar problems to you, i thought it was the case on my car... but i spent a long time trying to find it... and NOTHING.

Nick Mann
29-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Did your pressure test include the intercooler itself? So you pressurised the system from the MAF to the inlet manifold?

enigma
29-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Did your pressure test include the intercooler itself? So you pressurised the system from the MAF to the inlet manifold? No I pressurised it from the turbo Y on the left of the engine bay to infinity! Then from there until the plastic intake pipe (ie all my new pipe)

I used a jar of Uncle Bens chilli to seal it! :inquisiti

enigma
29-06-2005, 01:54 PM
i have a theory.

if you are running the same boost pressure with an uprated cooler.

the air charge will be cooler, effectively meaning you are sucking in and cramming more air into the engine

if you are getting close to where the boost cut comes in the ecu might kick into safe mode and start either over fueling or messing with the ignition

both of which can result in lose of power.

a leak is the most obvious, and with similar problems to you, i thought it was the case on my car... but i spent a long time trying to find it... and NOTHING.

I thought long and hard about this last week and discounted it on the basis I have never had problems before with high hjigh boost!

The only logical answer is a leak, a leak that only manifests itself under high ish boost. I can still get my 0.7 Bar and 0.9 Bar settings on the AVCR, but it takes more duty................this equalls a leak! Unfortunately I cant replicate it on the drive without lots of air!

Wodjno
29-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Try THE VEE .. He's full of hot air .. :toilet:

On a serious point thou.. When i replaced those pipes that i purchased off yourself Dave.. I couldn't raise more than 8psi boost /help
I eventually found a had a leak on 1 of the joiners.. Thankfully a little extra tightening and all was ok..
Not saying this is your problem, but there maybe a small leak on 1 or more of your joins,which is only apparent under extreme pressure.
I'm still not happy with the clips that are clamping the joiners on, and because the pipes are smooth and don't have a ridge to help keep the pipe in place i am wary that they might pop off so i am looking for something a bit more heavy duty..

enigma
29-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Found it! :thumbsup:

£50 for a compressor from B&Q and 10 mins later I had it found! Its just before the intercooler and opens up at about 0.7Bar! Bastid!

Just need to fix it and I am away :evil2:

Wodjno
29-06-2005, 06:54 PM

£50 for a compressor from B&Q and 10 mins later I had it found! Its just before the intercooler and opens up at about 0.7Bar! Bastid!

That's good news Dave.. :drummer: What exactly was it that was opening up .. :inquisiti

enigma
29-06-2005, 08:07 PM
That's good news Dave.. :drummer: What exactly was it that was opening up .. :inquisiti

One of the worm drive clips had stripped and it was leaking by at the joiner /pan

I am not very clever but I'm strong!

AllBeItMine
29-06-2005, 09:50 PM
One of the worm drive clips had stripped and it was leaking by at the joiner /pan

I am not very clever but I'm strong!

thats a happy ending right there.

Wouter
29-06-2005, 10:12 PM

Well Done Mate!! :thumbsup:

Derek watch out!!! BDA is coming!!! :evil2:

SGHOM
29-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Derek watch out!!! BDA is coming!!! :evil2:
I have nothing to worry about. /Steeringw /pan /pan

BraindG
30-06-2005, 12:05 AM
I have nothing to worry about. /Steeringw /pan /pan
/Poms "Go, Derek... Go, Derek" /Poms
Good news on getting it sorted Dave! what a climax! :leer:

bradc
30-06-2005, 04:53 AM
Congrats on finding the fault. Now I'm just keen to see how much extra the bigger intercooler gives you

enigma
01-07-2005, 08:39 PM
no leaks and still only 200BHP - seems I am in Safe mode and I dont know why :embarasse Reset the ecu and no change......I imagine it thought ooooh bugger safe mode again please :inquisiti

Wodjno
01-07-2005, 08:54 PM
no leaks and still only 200BHP - seems I am in Safe mode and I dont know why :embarasse Reset the ecu and no change......I imagine it thought ooooh bugger safe mode again please :inquisiti

Dave .. I don't know how your boost controller works and how it's set up .. But just a thought on the matter is that you have reset your ECU.. But can you reset your Electronic Boost Controller and Start from fresh with all the settings .. It may not work but maybe worth a try.. :inquisiti

bernmc
01-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Is it worth putting the original intercooler back on and seeing if you get your powerback... might isolate the fault to the new IC?

enigma
03-07-2005, 08:36 AM
A moment of inspiration and I remembered the diagnostic port......

oh heck!

The following codes showed up :(

12 Air Flow Sensor
41 Injector system

What to do?!

Wodjno
03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
A moment of inspiration and I remembered the diagnostic port......

oh heck!

The following codes showed up :(

12 Air Flow Sensor
41 Injector system

What to do?!

Thats not good news.. /wall
I would go for another ECU reset Dave ..( a nice long one ) as you haven't done anything to harm the injectors unless when putting the new intercooler and pipes on some crap as become dislodged and maybe made it down to your injectors resulting in poor performance..And then whack one of those 10k boost treatments through your system.The type you spray into your inlet and cleans your full system from your Air flow sensor to your injectors.. Reset your boost controller(if you can) .. It can't do any harm and may do it some good.. :inquisiti

michaeli
03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Funny that - we cannot get our RSM to read above 230ps even though we use the same settings as the old VR4 - and that reads 300+ ! And yet, the car has been rolling roaded just under 300 - weird :embarasse

We now don't bother using the damn thing

Neither can I..... and for that matter, I can't get it to remember the settings!! WTF??? /pan /Hmmm :embarasse :inquisiti

enigma
03-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Reset the ECU and been for a spin.......no error codes :thumbsup: but I stuck below 4000rpm and didn't floor it /help

I will take it out later and thrash it with the wideband on and see what happens. I have reconnected the FCD as I think I may be overwhelming the MAF with the amount of air I am inhaling, because it is so hot though I am not getting fuel cut.

Cars! Dont you just love 'em!

enigma
03-07-2005, 06:47 PM
:thumbsup:

Well after my brainwave of refitting the FCD, I have been out for some testing with the wideband sensor (I needed to go get some petrol).

Interesting results! I now get the power I was expecting, and no safe mode! Coolio! Checked the diagnostic codes after a 0.7 Bar run in 3rd and it was clear, then checked again after a 0.9 Bar run in 3rd, still clear :thumbsup:

OK, lets try a 0-60 on Nick, Dave and Kierans tuning track............2 AYC bars during first gear, a really crap gear change as I reset the ECU this morning.............5.4s! Cool, I'm back!

Now the interesting scientific bit! Previously when I have checked my wideband readings they have tended towards 10:1 ie very very rich. When I checked them with the FCD off and during my lack of power period, they still tended towards 10:1. With the FCD fitted today, full throttle I held 11.7:1! This is much much better, and still in the safe zone :smug:

It all makes sense really, the FCD alters the signal from the MAF in such a way that the ECU sees less air entering the engine and therefore reduces the amount of fuel it dumps in thus a leaner mixture. This is not great if you have no way of monitoring what is going on, but now I do, I can keep safe!

The fault codes I was reading seem logical now, I reckon with the new intercooler I am able to suck much harder and probably went beyond the maximum limit of the MAF, due to the fact I have no heat shield in the engine bay this air was however warm so when the Fuel Cut calculation was done in the ECU I was still within limits. The injector fault was just a consequence of the MAF fault as the injectors were probably saturating.

Now

WHERE CAN I GET SOME NITROUS?!

:evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2:

Wodjno
03-07-2005, 06:55 PM
WHERE CAN I GET SOME NITROUS?!

:evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2:

Good you got it sorted Dave ..

Nitrous .. ?? You can get a refil before Tuesday can't you ?? Or do you need it sooner .. :inquisiti

I can supply you sone Nitrous but it would be with a bottle too.. /YMaster
So if you are wanting a spare bottle give me a shout .. Polished Show Bottle at That.. :evil2: :evil2:

enigma
03-07-2005, 07:02 PM
My refil agent is having problems with his bottle, it keeps making the refil pipe explode :embarasse

I am working in Blackpool tomorrow from 6am to 6pm so I am stuck!

If you can show me a picture of your bottle fittings it would be good.

Wodjno
03-07-2005, 07:14 PM
My refil agent is having problems with his bottle, it keeps making the refil pipe explode :embarasse

I am working in Blackpool tomorrow from 6am to 6pm so I am stuck!

If you can show me a picture of your bottle fittings it would be good.

As you required .. :smug:

It's a UK Spec bottle Dave.. So as long as you got the same fittings your away.

Luxfer are the makers.. Comes complete with a lined freight box for shipping direct to a Nitrous Refiller who pick up the bottle form your humble abode on a Monday and deliver it back to you on a Friday filled and ready to use Free of Charge :thumbsup: .. Thinks it's about £35 a refil.. :inquisiti

Wodjno
03-07-2005, 07:15 PM
How many do you want .. :drummer: /Hmmm

enigma
03-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Not sure the fitting will be right...................If I promise not to scratch it can you bring me one to try??! If you have some fittings that would be good! I need an american style 6an fitting

Wodjno
03-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Not sure the fitting will be right...................If I promise not to scratch it can you bring me one to try??! If you have some fittings that would be good! I need an american style 6an fitting
I take it you have a DOT spec bottle . :inquisiti
If so Where do you get these refilled .. As i didn't think ther ewas anywhere in the UK that would refil them .. ??

If you need a New DOT spec bottle i can supply one of these to you but you would need to get it filled.. /yes It has a 6an fitting ..

enigma
03-07-2005, 07:55 PM
so you have no full ones?

Wodjno
03-07-2005, 08:26 PM
so you have no full ones?

DOT SPEC .. NO !!

UK SPEC .. YES !!

SGHOM
03-07-2005, 08:27 PM
blackpool to nottingham, via doncaster. /Hmmm I dont see where your problem is Dave ?? /Steeringw

phone Ryan on 07 blah blah.................. & he'll have a bottle waiting for you.

enigma
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
blackpool to nottingham, via doncaster. /Hmmm I dont see where your problem is Dave ?? /Steeringw

phone Ryan on 07 blah blah.................. & he'll have a bottle waiting for you.

I cant, I hvae my boss and his boss in the car with me!

What is Ryans number? I called you earlier but you didn't pick up!

SGHOM
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
I called you earlier but you didn't pick up!
messages left get a return call. otherwise ?? /pan /pan

BraindG
04-07-2005, 12:11 AM
I cant, I hvae my boss and his boss in the car with me!

:( thats a shame, could have met up :)