PDA

View Full Version : Walkie-talkies/PRS trancievers

Kenneth
29-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Has anyone used these while driving? if so, what was your experiance?

Would like to get some idea of what people have used, how good they were and what features you think would be ideal.

Hopefully this discussion will save us wasting money on items which do not work or items which are compleatly overkill.

Wolud also be good for those keen on purchasing to have compatible devices.

Just quickly browsing Dick Smith Electronics, I thought these (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42c1cd600aaeec12273fc0a87f990753/Product/View/D9029) would be good.
Main reasoning is a few features I think would be beneficial when driving

Dual Watch: Allows the TX610 to monitor any two selected channels.

VOX: Allows the TX610 to automatically transmit when you speak, without the need to press the PTT button.

Roger Beep: Transmits a short beep when the PTT is released to let other users know you have finished transmitting.

Duplex: Provides greatly increased range by allowing access to any of the hundreds of UHF CB repeaters installed around the country.

Accessory Connection: Allows connection of the optional Ear and Speaker Microphone.

Another option (half the price too) was brought up in another thread

I've used these up the mountain before (great for keeping in touch with people when you're skiing/boarding different runs) - I think they might have been the cheapie DSE ones (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/D1793).

We used them between cars on the way home too, and they worked no problems while driving in a group. I'm considering buying a couple myself.

KiwiTT
29-06-2005, 01:05 AM
I like the idea of Walkie Talkies. I will support the recommended one.

HJM
29-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Good idea - we use walkie talkies (only the 3km range type) when we drive across to the Nurburg Ring and despite the limited range they are very useful for keeping in convoy and having a laugh on the way - normally at the expense of other motorists :thumbsup:

maori_by_nature
29-06-2005, 07:58 AM
work got me and the other drivers PTT fones and they are really good....

Freddy
29-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Did a trip to Manfield in convoy with several cars using walkie talkies. We ended up getting the "all clear" from the lead car and proceeded to overtake on blind corners much to the horror of the cars being passed. Found it great for communicating amongst ourselves for free rather than dialling cell phones every 5 mins. :thumbsup: