PDA

View Full Version : Import Costs...?

Axeboy
29-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Ive got my eye on an older car on a Japanese site.

Its a 1992.

What costs would I have on top of purchase? Would it need an SVA being older than 10yrs?

Estimates on taxes etc appreciated... ive been told to expect £500 for shipping.

bernmc
29-06-2005, 07:20 PM
I've posted these costs a couple of times...

Price at auction + dealers fees + jap inland transport = 'FOB' (Free on board) price. Shipping is calculated on volume so saloon/estate may be slightly differnt. 500ish is reasonable.

Customs is 10% of the FOB + shipping - however, many jap agents will issue an invoice on the auction price alone, which will save you a couple of hundred.

Then add 17.5% VAT to FOB+Customs.

No SVA as you said - just conversion costs - you still need a fog light. I'm not sure but I doubt that MOT would pick up an unconverted speedo, unless the bloke was looking, and new it was a first MOT...

Then 1st registration costs - can't remember exactly but about 40 quid (search the DVLA site) + some registration plates + road tax.

Other things to consider, depending on how careful you want to be - how are you going to get the car from the port home - £130ish to get it delivered.
Underseal? About £100
Alarm? £300ish for Thatcham1
Tyres - japcrap may be legal if you're lucky, but they will still be rubbish!

Axeboy
29-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Some man...

Ive got my eye on this as a project car:

http://www.tau-net.co.jp/defaultMall/sitemap/XTMyCarDetail-Used.jsp?GoodsNo=056313

I would plan to pick it up with a car trailer from Newcastle.

Would you think id come across many complications doing this, or is it a simple enough process?

Ive got some cash spare and might take the jump...

bernmc
29-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Forgot to mention, you need a shipping agent to sort out customs clearance etc - another 170 quid.

The car above is a 1994 Legacy - sure it's the right one - you mention 1992 in the 1st post. Anyway, on the road with 12 months tax (no underseal, alarm etc) looks to be around the £2000 mark (assuming the price advertised is the price you pay). Check autotrader and see if it's worth it...

It's a piece of p1ss to import & register- just takes a couple of months. Give me a shout if you need any help.

Axeboy
29-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks mate

Im going to keep my eye on the sites for a bit longer and see if something tasty comes up...

Great help, thanks.

marmel31
29-06-2005, 11:11 PM
You guys in the UK are lucky you can still import vehicles of that era. New Zealand laws prevent us importing anything pre 1995 due to frontal impact standards and there are some pretty cheap cars out there if you look at older vehicles. I have recently bought a couple of cars from TAU, a 98 Legnum 1.8 GDI and a 96 Legnum vr-4, they seem to be pretty good to deal with.

Axeboy
30-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Back again.

If I got the car shipped to newcastle... who can i speak to about the shipping agent.. do i contact them direct?

Bern, you have email addy or msm for a quick chat sometime?

strapping young lad
30-07-2005, 03:48 PM
http://www.multiport.org/uk3.htm

will that help?

bernmc
30-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm not on MSN (The Dark Side), but I'll pm you with my email and mobile. The blokes that sent my car arranged a shipping agent for me, so it's worth checking with them - I suspect most will have someone they use regularly.