PDA

View Full Version : I suspect my traction control switch is faulty

KiwiTT
01-07-2005, 03:13 AM
I have been switching off my traction control lately when, I think I will need to hard accelerate turning into a road. I notice a power drop as I try to accelerate and turning at the same time. The AYC is only at 1 bar when it happens.

Therefore I think it is not actually switching off, even though the light "TCL off" appears on the dash. I also see this light flashing when it is in operation, so it must be kicking in.

bradc
01-07-2005, 03:21 AM
I don't even have a traction control switch ;)

why dont you just check it out by removing the fuse for the traction control, and seeing if that stops the traction control

KiwiTT
01-07-2005, 04:15 AM
I might try that ... now where is that fuse box.

bradc
01-07-2005, 05:09 AM
just behind the battery, next to the cold air intake. I'm not sure all the fuses are there, but most of them will be

Zeke
01-07-2005, 05:28 AM
Last time I checked, there is no TCL fuse you can simply pull.
But if anyone finds a way to disable it let me know!

i3ooyah
01-07-2005, 05:31 AM
there must be one, all switchs have fuses normally.

dont they?

Physician
01-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I have been switching off my traction control lately when, I think I will need to hard accelerate turning into a road. I notice a power drop as I try to accelerate and turning at the same time. The AYC is only at 1 bar when it happens.

Therefore I think it is not actually switching off, even though the light "TCL off" appears on the dash. I also see this light flashing when it is in operation, so it must be kicking in.

Hi Rich,

This is interesting ........ I've mentioned this problem before on a couple of occasions. My personal view is that it's quite dangerous ....... turning and accelerating hard only to find that the power dies - and that damn car on the main road is bearing down on you fast!

I therefore often switch my TCL off and this seemed to have cured the problem. However, a couple of days ago I was waiting in the center of the road for ages to turn right into a side street. It was rush hour and few gaps so I switched the TCL off and got ready ............ small gap, plenty power and moved - only to find the same problem - power died on me. This time I did notice the small orange warning light flashing (the one with little skid marks).

As I'm at an airfield on tuesday I'll do some testing and let you know what I find out. I have a sneaky feeling that there are some other systems operating which still cause this issue ...... maybe the 'attitude' sensors under the car at a mid-way point?

bradc
01-07-2005, 09:34 AM
I never have a problem with power loss when accelerating really hard from rest. I frequently turn right onto a busy 100kph road, and I will normally hit the throttle fairly hard to get out, then change from 1st into 2nd at about 4000rpm, 2 AYC lights will come on most of the time.

Today it was quiet, no cars around at all, so I simply floored it with a huge amount of lock on as well, all 3 AYC lights were on until I changed gear at 6000rpm, once into 2nd only 2 AYC lights were on. The whole time there was no power loss or anything like that, the car just felt like it was sliding slightly across the road. Thats how it should be.

bernmc
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
My TCL made it's first appearance today (jappie tyres foobar'd), and I must say it gave me a turn :o!! As you say, it's not very helpful when several tons of lorry are bearing down on you.

Bloody stupid idea if you ask me.

-LegnumVR4-
01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
My TCL made it's first appearance today (jappie tyres foobar'd), and I must say it gave me a turn :o!! As you say, it's not very helpful when several tons of lorry are bearing down on you.

Bloody stupid idea if you ask me.

Thats why the later model VR4's with autos don't have TCL. One good test is to get on grass and turn off the TCL and floor it in circles. I have heard that people have had this problem before while trying to get lose on gravel :smug:

Louis
01-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi,
Don't forget some cars (MINE and all others involved in the recent recall) have ASC (automatic stability control) which uses the same indicator warning light (see your owners manual), the ASC will kick in in certain situations, (fast acceleration in tight corners being one of them) even with the traction control switched off. The asc links the tcl and abs and ayc, as I understand it.

I also have never had the problem! you speak of in a right turn across oncoming traffic situation, if anything the traction control helps. imho

If draging against another car, with tcl off i get wheel spin, with tcl on I get better traction and a better (if less spectacular) get away.
I had a kid once ask me at a set of traffic lights, what kind of power does it have? i said 280 ish bhp, he said gonna floor it when the lights change, and I said it won't be anything dramatic no wheelspin, no tyre squeal, but I will disappear quite rapidly.

If you can get it on grass it's worth it just to see the dash board light up, and see how it handles with different set ups, situations, good luck, Louis, ps don't set the grass on fire!

Nick Mann
01-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I have had the tcl ut in, but never wih it turned off. Could just be that it has never got bad enough when it was turned off. It is flipping annoying though! Power cut when there's no need - or as Richard says - the opposite!!

pezza
01-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Tis a strange sensation when it cuts in.... I have only had it cut power once when
goin round roundabout at errr.... "%$£@ mph /Steeringw It did worry me initially :embarasse

The only other time is when Nick's *standard* car was bearing down on me after MMM earlier this year... Just saw a brief flash of the skiddin car exiting a roundabout. I did not feel any power cut tho

I have switched off Traction control a few times but never got the car to break traction at all. how easily does leggie wheelspin when pulling off in str8 line (tip models)...

pezza
01-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I am guessing THIS (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/532259/4) happens when traction control is switched off??? :evil2: Sounz gud too :thumbsup:
as does THIS (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/532259/1)

Slightly O.T. I know but ... :leer:

Physician
01-07-2005, 06:25 PM
I agree with Louis's take on this ...... as I mentioned previously, I also have a sneaky feeling something else is involved in this situation.

This is a little section about the AYC system ...... this WILL also be involved in this situation being described:

QUOTE:

The AYC system can be split into four main sections and they consist of the following components:

Sensors

* Wheel Speed Sensors

These are the same sensors that are used with the ABS. On ABS equipped cars the speed signal is sent to the AYC ECU after passing through the ABS ECU.

* Steering Wheel Sensor

Detects the rate of turning of the steering wheel and whether the steering wheel is centred or not.

* Throttle Position Sensor

Shared with the Engine ECU and determines the throttle position.

* Longitudinal G Sensor

This is the same acceleration sensor that is used with the ABS. On ABS equipped cars the sensor is shared with the AYC ECU and the ABS ECU.

* Lateral G Sensor

The same sensor as above but mounted at 90° to sense lateral G forces.

UNQUOTE

But, which, what, why, when ............ who knows?? Lol :embarasse :embarasse

KiwiTT
01-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks Rhys, Louis, Richard.

I do some tests to see. It could be the ASC kicking in.

SGHOM
01-07-2005, 10:03 PM
mmmm ?? /Hmmm I might be way off the mark here, but my car has all the bells & whistles, & I seem to be unable to get it to launch at the RPM I want ??
I know Wouter said he launched at 2500 rpm to run his 12.55............... but I've struggled to get it to that, & certainly cant get any more ?? /Hmmm /Hmmm

Kenneth
01-07-2005, 10:42 PM
If you want to turn off the traction control and stuff, you can do it by disabling all the abs system which includes the sensors.

Obviously this is only a good idea if you are in a controlled environment.

Open the bonnet, at the back on the right hand side you will see a rectangular thinggy which has a red clip type thinggy on it. you lift the top part (if i remember correct) which dis-engages the clip and then you just pull it away from contact.

good bye abs system.

Yes, I have done this with no adverse effect other than being able to lock the wheels under braking in the wet.

nick-f1
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Ermm my Leghumper is `98 vR4 and manual without tcl and I have never experienced this problem under any of the conditions described. So is this just specific to autos or just to cars with traction control?
I have even managed to get mine to drift round the odd roundabout or two without any loss of power....... great fun.