01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
been busy :thumbsup:

Nick VR4
01-07-2005, 08:50 PM
/Hmmm You have been making earrings out of Suspension parts :inquisiti

Ok I give up

bradc
01-07-2005, 09:06 PM
I think he has chopped off the top circle of the spring to lower the car. LOL at the earings though

paulmc
01-07-2005, 09:08 PM
/Hmmm You have been making earrings out of Suspension parts :inquisiti

Ok I give up

close :happy:

Took the grinder to the front springs, i cut off one coil. It lowered the car by 28mm. I only did the front as I wanted the car to look the same all round. Pretty pleased with the result the gap front and back is the same now :thumbsup:

I do intend to do it proper but it looked easy so I gave it a bash. I only had the wheels off the paint the calipers /pan

97_Legnum
02-07-2005, 06:56 AM
close :happy:

Took the grinder to the front springs, i cut off one coil. It lowered the car by 28mm. I only did the front as I wanted the car to look the same all round. Pretty pleased with the result the gap front and back is the same now :thumbsup:

I do intend to do it proper but it looked easy so I gave it a bash. I only had the wheels off the paint the calipers /pan
I guess in Scottland you can get away with something so unsafe. You should have just brought the proper springs and done it. You might find yourself in a ditch doing stuff like that.

bernmc
02-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Took the grinder to the front springs,
..Getting medieval on its 4rse...!

AllBeItMine
02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I guess in Scottland you can get away with something so unsafe. You should have just brought the proper springs and done it. You might find yourself in a ditch doing stuff like that.

as long as the springs are still captive in the shocks the car should be *safe* - it will of course adjust the characteristics of the spring but legnms/galants handle so badly on stock suspension you probably wouldn't notice! :evil2:

paulmc
02-07-2005, 12:25 PM
did this many times when I was younger and had no cash, never had a problem yet. the spring still sits in its carrier so where can it go, only up as normal. I agree it is a bit rough though. I will get proper springs in the near future. It was a kind of spur of the moment thing /Hmmm

Darren
02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
how has it affected the handling ?

Pescha
02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
did this many times when I was younger and had no cash, never had a problem yet. the spring still sits in its carrier so where can it go, only up as normal. I agree it is a bit rough though. I will get proper springs in the near future. It was a kind of spur of the moment thing /Hmmm

Did you think about the ECU settings for your suspension, how this will effect your sensors etc? And I bet your type of car when you were 'younger' was not as sophisticated nor as expensive as a VR4? Correct me if I am wrong?

97_Legnum
02-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's your car to do what you like. It's not something I'd personally do to any of my cars. Here in NZ you wouldn't get a WOF even if it did still fit in the carrier.
Yeah I wanna drop mine by about 30mm, but I'm waiting to hear what the best set up is, then I need to decide when I'd be bothered to get it done.

zentac
02-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Thats one car I would never get it, chopping springs is not a good idea.

ako
03-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Don't get me wrong, it's your car to do what you like. It's not something I'd personally do to any of my cars. Here in NZ you wouldn't get a WOF even if it did still fit in the carrier.
Yeah I wanna drop mine by about 30mm, but I'm waiting to hear what the best set up is, then I need to decide when I'd be bothered to get it done.

Wrong.

Like ABIM said - so long as it is captive, there is no problem at all. Read the WOF guidelines on www.ltsa.co.nz if you want confirmation.

Put it this way - cut springs = rough way of doing things, but chances are it would still be better than the mattress spring setup of a stock VR4.

Pescha - Yes, it may confuse a sensor or two... But do you think it would be any different if he got a set of spring which were off the shelf instead? ECU reset also helps sort things out a bit too, if it does play up.

97_Legnum
03-07-2005, 05:03 AM
Wrong.

Like ABIM said - so long as it is captive, there is no problem at all. Read the WOF guidelines on www.ltsa.co.nz (http://www.ltsa.co.nz) if you want confirmation.

Put it this way - cut springs = rough way of doing things, but chances are it would still be better than the mattress spring setup of a stock VR4.

Pescha - Yes, it may confuse a sensor or two... But do you think it would be any different if he got a set of spring which were off the shelf instead? ECU reset also helps sort things out a bit too, if it does play up.
Well not that I really give a rats arse what others do to their cars, I just think it's a cheap and unsafe thing to do. Oh thats right, these guys that manufacture these springs have no idea what they're doing, you just coil up a rod of steel and she'll be right./pan

bradc
03-07-2005, 05:53 AM
If you want a professional suspension done, go to Ralliart NZ, they do a Bilstein setup for about $3-4k that is specially designed by them.

ako
03-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Well not that I really give a rats arse what others do to their cars, I just think it's a cheap and unsafe thing to do. Oh thats right, these guys that manufacture these springs have no idea what they're doing, you just coil up a rod of steel and she'll be right./pan

Can't you read? All I said was that its actually legal. Dont get huffy cause I corrected you.

And I'll agree - it is a cheap thing to do. Unsafe - thats a matter of opinion.

The "king springs" in my car are both lower, and stiffer, than the cut springs I tested for half an hour - which themselves were lower, and stiffer, than the factory springs they replace. Does that make the manufactured springs more unsafe? Or are they safer because they had a price tag on them? All three sets were captive with the car fully off the ground as well.

Not trying to stir, just making a point.

97_Legnum
03-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Can't you read? All I said was that its actually legal. Dont get huffy cause I corrected you.

And I'll agree - it is a cheap thing to do. Unsafe - thats a matter of opinion.

The "king springs" in my car are both lower, and stiffer, than the cut springs I tested for half an hour - which themselves were lower, and stiffer, than the factory springs they replace. Does that make the manufactured springs more unsafe? Or are they safer because they had a price tag on them? All three sets were captive with the car fully off the ground as well.

Not trying to stir, just making a point.
Ahhh no!!!!! Sorry if you thought I was in a huff, I'm not... Thats what I hate about the internet, things can be taken in the wrong contects...

ako
03-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Sweet as, no harm done.

Now, where's my angle grinder gone :evil2:

Kieran
03-07-2005, 06:36 AM
:thumbsup:

I like this forum.... On most other forums, this thread would now be several pages long, with lots of /grr /Grrr /Hijack /grr /grr going on!!

bradc
03-07-2005, 06:47 AM
And if you get really angry you can just jump into a really fast car and go for a thrash ;)

New springs aren't that expensive anyway, I think that it is better to just go out and get proper springs anyway.

dickytim
03-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Here is NZ a set of King springs will set you back all of $500 fitted, if you have the right equiptment ie a spring compressor, then it is even cheaper, for a set of Tein adjustables they often can be found second hand for around $1000 that is peanuts really.

Cutting springs on the other hand doesn't improve your handling, or ride, you don't alter your spring rate, if you want to do it for looks then have fun, if you want to do it to make the car handle like it is on rails then go adjustables, if you want half way go for King springs and make sure your shocks are in good nick.

mpau009
03-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I got some tanabe coilovers in reasonable condition (about the same k's as my car) for $300 off of trademe, took about 5 hours to swap out, as i was figuring it out as i went - probably take about 2 max otherwise, i'm really pleased with them, even if they only last a few years. At the moment, there are some on trademe for between $600-$1200, in a very good state, adjustable dampers and all...

Wodjno
03-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I got some tanabe coilovers in reasonable condition (about the same k's as my car) for $300 off of trademe, took about 5 hours to swap out, as i was figuring it out as i went - probably take about 2 max otherwise, i'm really pleased with them, even if they only last a few years. At the moment, there are some on trademe for between $600-$1200, in a very good state, adjustable dampers and all...

Are they the sustec pro's, as these are the ones fitted to my Missus Leggy.. To tel you the truth i find them to hard .. They are adjustable for height so maybe if i higher them a little it may make them a little softer ..

psbarham
03-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Are they the sustec pro's, as these are the ones fitted to my Missus Leggy.. To tel you the truth i find them to hard .. They are adjustable for height so maybe if i higher them a little it may make them a little softer ..
what she needs is a set of standard lowering springs and dampers , i have a set but they are attached to my car at the mo ,so to help a mate out i would be willing to swop with you :inquisiti :thumbsup:

enigma
03-07-2005, 07:57 PM
what she needs is a set of standard lowering springs and dampers

Or a fatter ass to soak up the bumps better! /Nuuu :shocked:

psbarham
03-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Or a fatter ass to soak up the bumps better! /Nuuu :shocked:
with the bumps on these fen roads she would need an ass like bella emburg after an all lard diet /help

Kenneth
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM

I also have sustec Pros. I found that if they were too low, the handling was not to my satisfaction... far too bouncy, scraped on too many bumps and even bottomed out if driven at very high speed over bumps in the road.

Set the height by winding up the platform to the point where (this is with it all on the car and wheel off) I could not wind against the spring pressure any more. did that on each corner then leveled it off.

Now the handling is superb. there is enough preload on the shocks that sag is around 30mm. (this means I sometimes get on 3 wheels going into drives on an angle)
Ride quality is better also with the bounce gone. Still a solid ride though, so if you like plush its not for you.

Handling is awesome, sweet bugger all body roll and it like she is on rails. Pity my tires are crap and I end up sliding all over the seat

mpau009
03-07-2005, 11:35 PM

Yeah, looking back, they are a little brutal, but nothing i can't live with, and they handle great, that annoying bodyroll is all but gone. The way the ones iv got don't appear to get any softer at any height, so i should have got some with adjustable dampers aswell, but for the price i paid, i haven't got any complaints, i just avoid potholes, driveways, speedbumps, kerbs........, but for around town, its good enough, plus i kept the factory ones incase i decide to sell.