PDA

View Full Version : 1st Service.... Ouch...

michaeli
04-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Well Guys.... I took my car for an engine flush and oil (Mobil 1) and filter change, general top up of other fluids and health check, also a power steering belt replacement.... The wallets feeling lighter...

I took it to Derek's usual garage in Sheffield, John @ Valley Rd..
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
£123 inc VAT..... I provided Oil Filter and P/Steering Belt....

Not bad, and she's running as quiet as a mouse!!!! Great job done, would recommend to anyone!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Derek!!!

Mike

Polabear
05-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Well Guys.... I took my car for an engine flush and oil (Mobil 1) and filter change, general top up of other fluids and health check, also a power steering belt replacement.... The wallets feeling lighter...

I took it to Derek's usual garage in Sheffield, John @ Valley Rd..
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
£123 inc VAT..... I provided Oil Filter and P/Steering Belt....

Not bad, and she's running as quiet as a mouse!!!! Great job done, would recommend to anyone!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Derek!!!

Mike

Some people must really like to empty their wallets...........all of the above work was only done back in April........ /pan hope your man has the tension on the pwr steering pump belt correct or else your in for trouble, I did tell you all of this back when you first had the car Mike..... /yes

michaeli
05-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Yep I know....

The power steering belt was shredded in half and was jumping, so I bought a new one from Mitsi and he fitted it for me, as for tension, I didn't know it was an exact science, I read in a manual 1/2inch of play, it hasn't moved and looks good...

As for servicing, I'm looking after her, so anything she needs, she gets!!! :thumbsup:

It's so stressfull....Sold my VR$ to get married to the wife, the wife and the new VR4 are both expensive, so I'm also married to my job to pay for them both LOL!!!

Polabear
06-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Yep I know....
The power steering belt was shredded in half and was jumping, so I bought a new one from Mitsi and he fitted it for me, as for tension, I didn't know it was an exact science, I read in a manual 1/2inch of play, it hasn't moved and looks good...

Mike
If that belt was shredded again then it is still jumping the pwr steering pump pulley grooves, your new belt is now the 6th new belt in 12 months, you are going to have to do what I was going to do if the belt shredded again......fit a new pwr steering pump, now a new pump will set you back £625 +vat I bought a good s/h one from Mo for just this eventuality (was waiting to see what happend to the belt) I still have the pump in my garage, you can have it for what I paid Mo for it + freight..... :thumbsup:

Polabear
06-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Mike
If that belt was shredded again then it is still jumping the pwr steering pump pulley grooves, your new belt is now the 6th new belt in 12 months, you are going to have to do what I was going to do if the belt shredded again......fit a new pwr steering pump, now a new pump will set you back £625 +vat I bought a good s/h one from Mo for just this eventuality (was waiting to see what happend to the belt) I still have the pump in my garage, you can have it for what I paid Mo for it + freight..... :thumbsup:

PS. The new belt will be ok for a while.....untill you start to give it large again then it will begin to shred....I found that it got worse and shredded quicker when you hoof it from standing starts ... say pulling out from junctions and turning either right or left (mostly left) in a hurry.....just my observations, its like the Aston Martin syndrome.... :inquisiti

michaeli
06-07-2005, 11:03 AM
But what makes the pump at fault?? my theory (and it may be wrong) is that if the power steering is still working, how can the pump be the problem?? /Hmmm

Maybe excess wearing on the pully bearings, so new pully yes, or new bearings yes, but why the pump?? /help

I read on this forum that the 'jumping' of the belt is normal, only way to get around it is to ask someone to manufacture a higher sided pully to stop it from moving, the shredding effect is only because the belt is not sitting correctly....

me no understandy.... /dunce

Thanks in advance, :thumbsup:

Mike

Polabear
07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
But what makes the pump at fault?? my theory (and it may be wrong) is that if the power steering is still working, how can the pump be the problem?? /Hmmm

Maybe excess wearing on the pully bearings, so new pully yes, or new bearings yes, but why the pump?? /help

I read on this forum that the 'jumping' of the belt is normal, only way to get around it is to ask someone to manufacture a higher sided pully to stop it from moving, the shredding effect is only because the belt is not sitting correctly....

me no understandy.... /dunce

Thanks in advance, :thumbsup:

Mike

New pulley or bearings are not an option off the shelf, (the pulley is an interferance fit on the shaft) the problem is too much endfloat in the bearings, and if you needed a pulley with higher sides to it then every vr4 would be doing the same thing...... /Hmmm Yes I agree Richard was having the same problem to a lesser degree, but since having a new belt fitted and adjusted correctly afaik he has had no further problems, Big Dave shredded a belt also.. but that was down to his crank pulley (rubber damper had gone) I had that checked and it is fine on yours.

This first started for me after the first big service when I had all belts changed, within 3 weeks the belt had shredded, it was replaced and sent back to Mitsy as faulty, the belt was changed five times in the next 9 months and we thought we had cracked it when my mech took one look at the last one that went on me and told me that the belt was WAYYYYYYYY too tight with NO deflection in it, after a new belt was fitted it was fine .

After that time it was my intention to take the car back to my mech and have the belt checked and readjusted after about 4-6 weeks to try and allow for any settling or stretching but I took the car off the road, so maybe it might be worth trying that Mike...its only a thought to try and help you, the belt thing was the one thing that I was tearing my hair out over but no matter what we done it looks like we could not resolve it and swapping the pump was the last resort...BTW even if the pump bearings are dodgy the power steering will still function, so there will be no indication there, sorry you are still having this problem and had I kept the car I feel confident I would have got to the bottom of it in the end....... /help good luck

Sean.

michaeli
08-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks Sean,

could you PM me a price for the p/s pump please? Also, could you tell me how I know it may be faulty...

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Mike

Quad Al
11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Mike, if you drive it hard then a theory is that gravity takes over and flings your belt off . had same problem on my 30,000 01 estate. A cure on the FTO V6's was to fit a thinner belt(allows more lateral play), this advice was from a good mechanic, not one of these"part swopper youngun's that run the workshops these days!!!.

Thanks Sean,

could you PM me a price for the p/s pump please? Also, could you tell me how I know it may be faulty...

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Mike