PDA

View Full Version : JTuner event at Bruntingthorpe

Brunty
05-07-2005, 05:53 PM
More photos to come once I've done the number plates.

On the strip...

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 05:59 PM
As cool as a cool day can be !! :thumbsup:
all we needed was a longer runway to get some real top speeds ! /help just under 2 miles is not long enough for VR4's. :embarasse
Still, Dave topped the list with a terminal speed of 154 mph ! :thumbsup:

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 06:08 PM
just a few samplers from me;

1] jumbo jet anyone ??

2] how cool is that ??

3] Becky in a Bentley Arnarge !! & yes............. it was moving with her in it !! VERY FAST !! /Steeringw :drummer:

4] smile Dave !! :smug:

enigma
05-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Wooohooo! My speedo and RSM recorded 161mph! But I will settle for 154........bearing in mind I needed to brake VERY early!

Here are the 2 pics I have............was too busy making video! It will be up some time soon, including my trip up to 155 in an Arnage :smug:

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 06:28 PM
a couple more from the other side of the jumbo................. bloomin' long way around one of those !! :embarasse

Brunty
05-07-2005, 06:28 PM
1. Popular shot but from ground level
2. My standard VR4
3. Ooops
4. The four chosen ones on an action shoot
5. Time machines

Brunty
05-07-2005, 06:33 PM
1. Ping-pong launcher installed
2. One chuffed CaishanVR4

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 06:39 PM
What a very nice chap the Bentley test pilot was !! :thumbsup:
Becky & a couple of members had a few laps in the standard arnarge............ & then in the afternoon, he came to see us with the Arnarge 'T' !!
450 bhp, & 11 cows inside !! /Hmmm he got the tyres smokin' for a bit of a show, & then I think most of us had a ride in it !!

still prefere my VR4 though. :smug: /Steeringw

Brunty
05-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Gotta say that despite some frantic last minute panic polishing the cars looked really good - and the action photos taken by the photographer looked awesome.

Worried that the owners standing by cars will look mighty camp in the magazine though :embarasse

BraindG
05-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Weee :D - ill get my (and these) photos added to gallery later...
Just arrived home (well had a coffee) really crappy weather all the way home, M56 was at a standstill... grrr.. 1hr 30 there.. 3 hrs back /Hissy

Was a fun day!.. before anyone says anything regarding manuals.. :inquisiti That was the first time i ever launched my car for real... if only i had stayed in second till into red line, on my second to last shot i would have got a decent 0-60 time :)

k, thats off my chest...

I really enjoyed myself, Dad seemed to have a fantastic time, although slightly shaken after the bently run :smug: Poor Glen :( :embarasse

I'm suprised Dave/Derek didn't get quicker times :inquisiti perhaps recording thingy wasn't super accurate? /shrug, any ideas why this was?

Heres some photos from me (and they are all me, me, me :smug: )

BraindG
05-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Worried that the owners standing by cars will look mighty camp in the magazine though :embarasse

Yah, it is a bit ghey really.. i prefered the RX-7 one, where people were just loitering around the cars... we'll have to wait and see..

bernmc
05-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Coolness! Sorry I missed it (again :()

What's with the glug of oil on the ground in the pic above, Brunty m' boy???

Dan_G
05-07-2005, 07:03 PM
looks like youz all had great day...... While I was working :embarasse

look forward to reading the J-tuner issue.... which one is it gonna be in?

2 miles is'nt all that far to test top speed....

so ylets say for arguments sake that you managed to do 1/4 of a mile in about ooh.. approximatley 12.616seconds @105.63mph .......... then what where you doing for the other 1 3/4miles? :rolleyes4

I supposeat 105mph you'd cover 1.75 miles in 1 minute

favourite smilie /Steeringw

Wodjno
05-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Coolness! Sorry I missed it (again :()

That be a Wee drop of colant form my Vehicle after ragging it round the airfield 3 times .. /Steeringw :evil2: :embarasse

Brunty
05-07-2005, 07:12 PM

Glenn (WODJNO) lost a bit of coolant....and later a length of hose! BDA blew his hose off too and I think there was someone else leaking. Everyone managed to get at least a couple of quarter miles (0-60 and 0-100s) should make for interesting reading.

No major problems though and I can confirm CaishanVR4 made it to a garage before his vapours evapourated!

MattG@J-Tuner
05-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Nice pics everyone, well done to all those who took part. I was very impressed with the standard cars. As for the tuned ones... wow!

I'm suprised Dave/Derek didn't get quicker times :inquisiti perhaps recording thingy wasn't super accurate? /shrug, any ideas why this was?

Hmmm, they use that very equipment for world record attempts etc... The speed (or lack of) may have been affected by the fact that the first half of the track was slightly uphill. You also needed to leave yourself enough room to brake, 2 miles is incredibly short at 130+mph.

The feature will be in issue 4, released early August.

Matt

BraindG
05-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Hmmm, they use that very equipment for world record attempts etc... The speed (or lack of) may have been affected by the fact that the first half of the track was slightly uphill. You also needed to leave yourself enough room to brake, 2 miles is incredibly short at 130+mph.

True, i just expected middle 12's from our leading two..

Thanks for today! i really enjoyed myself, and to top it all.... my clutch = working still... weeeeee.... /Steeringw

Brunty
05-07-2005, 07:15 PM
....after ragging it round the airfield 3 times .. /Steeringw :evil2: :embarasse

Ragging It = following a Range Rover with a horse box attached!

:thumbsup:

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
one of the best moments for me, was when Glenn left the runway to go back to the start, & set off in pursuit of a new jag !! /Steeringw [ they were testing today also ]
I'm sure I could see the 'snarl' in your eyes, as you duly slapped it down !! :drummer: /pan /pan

Wodjno
05-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Ragging It = following a Range Rover with a horse box attached!

It was a very Wide horse box.. Thou.. /Steeringw :smug:

Wodjno
05-07-2005, 07:25 PM
one of the best moments for me, was when Glenn left the runway to go back to the start, & set off in pursuit of a new jag !! /Steeringw [ they were testing today also ]
I'm sure I could see the 'snarl' in your eyes, as you duly slapped it down !! :drummer: /pan /pan

I had a small Gleeful Glint in my eye.. :rifle::leer: But after all there only a Mondeo in Drag /yes /lol

Brunty
05-07-2005, 07:31 PM
It was a very Wide horse box.. Thou.. /Steeringw :smug:

I'll say! It had a bloody car in the back when I saw it on the track later in the day!!!

Trying to keep up with the Bentley (still no AYC) nearly saw me into the grass (x2 :embarasse ) - but that was out of sight of the rest of you!

BraindG
05-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I knew there was a reason for putting My girls Name on my car (other than protecting it from the clutch demons)

awwwwww.....

BraindG
05-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I'll say! It had a bloody car in the back when I saw it on the track later in the day!!!

Trying to keep up with the Bentley (still no AYC) nearly saw me into the grass (x2 :embarasse ) - but that was out of sight of the rest of you!
but we all heard about it from the Bentley Driver! /haz

michaeli
05-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Looks great guys.... can we arrange a group buy for the magazine on here then??? :thumbsup:

Well done to all, shame i couldn't be there....

Mike :chugchug:

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 08:46 PM
was It just me, or did the engines on the two Bentleys rattle like a bag of spanners ??
I was expecting to hear virtually nothing from the 6.75 ltr V8's...........barring a silky purring noise !! :embarasse

BraindG
05-07-2005, 09:02 PM
they did sound like a couple of old worn out Buses /Hmmm - wouldn't say no tho :happy:

Physician
05-07-2005, 09:48 PM
A couple more pictures. I'll get around to doing the rest when I wake up.

Wasn't very impressed with either MY performance nor my VR4's. OK, so I'm a silly old git but I did expect slightly better times and am wondering why the times are so slow in comparison to most of the other VR4's.

My initial launches were useless as I was trying to use the manual side as y'all know and I kept hitting the fuel cut at 7,000 rpm. OK, that I understand, but why still useless when using the auto side? I conclude the following but would be interested if anyone has any other thoughts.

1] I have the 260 bhp engine so down a bit on any facelift 280 bhp cars.

2] I have always said that I suspected my power was down since the new exhaust was fitted. It's such a small amount though, almost a 'feeling' of being slightly slower up to about 50/60 mph ....... I think you will all know what I mean - you get to know what your OWN car will do and can notice an infinitesimal change. I would guess I would translate it into about half a second slower from previously. This would put my best time around 6 seconds 0-60, which I would suggest is about correct for my car/engine set up (standard). (My best was 6.67)

3] Comparison to most other VR4's at the test is probably not too fair as most have boost controllers etc and some have happy gas. My best comparison is with Brunty's and we achieved VERY similar times ....... so I'm friends with Brunty now and the rest of you can sod off :embarasse

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/derek.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/dave.jpg

Physician
05-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Damn!!! Forgot the 'r' in 'forgot' in last photo :embarasse

Physician
05-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Owners of the marque will be unanimous in their appreciation of the front profile which is both beautiful and aggressive ................... whereas the rear ...........

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/dave2.jpg

Spirit
05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Looks like you all had a great day, and can't wait to see Dave's video footage and of course the magazine spread........I am SSSSOOOOOOO jealous :thumbsup:

pezza
05-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Loox like you had a fantastic day there!!!

Cant wait to see more pix and any vidi?

BraindG
05-07-2005, 10:09 PM
all the ones i had, and the ones here on forum are now up on gallery...
when more are added here, ill upload em to gallery..

Wodjno
05-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Damn!!! Forgot the 'r' in 'forgot' in last photo :embarasse

LOL..

Didn't notice til you told me Richard .. (tred too) :thumbsup:

Going back to your power down.. When we first entered onto the track and we were chasing down that Chipped Up Supercharged BMW M3 that the photographer was driving..(WE NEARLY GOT HIM) /Hmmm :embarasse :oops: :huh:
You took chase first then i followed .. I was gaining on you upto about 90mph quite quickly, but then at 100mph + it was hardly noticeable that i was gaining.So i think you maybe right in that you have a power loss low down.. But i'm pretty damn sure that i have got a power loss when further up the speed chart.. Pretty sure it's to do with the Zorst to.

Brunty
05-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Wasn't very impressed with either MY performance nor my VR4's. OK, so I'm a silly old git but I did expect slightly better times and am wondering why the times are so slow in comparison to most of the other VR4's.

I was under the impression that most of us were about 0.5sec down on anticipated times - with CaishanVR4 a notable exception - which, if true, would suggest environmental factors rather than bad individual performances. Anyone care to comment?

I think the figures and graphs from Daytron will be most illuminating.

3] Comparison to most other VR4's at the test is probably not too fair as most have boost controllers etc and some have happy gas. My best comparison is with Brunty's and we achieved VERY similar times ....... so I'm friends with Brunty now and the rest of you can sod off :embarasse

Don't we need to crib all the best starting techniques and performance upgrades before the rest sod off and we alienate ourselves in the "139.whatever mph" clique?

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 10:32 PM
It doesnt help doing a 0 to 60 uphill !! :embarasse

Brunty
05-07-2005, 10:51 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/ultima/default.asp?i=9208

"The tests were conducted, overseen and verified by an official from Datron Technology who are acknowledged by the Guinness Book of Records and the motoring press as official timekeepers.

Ultima reckon that the quarter mile time could be bettered. The standing quarter mile time could be at least two tenths of a second faster if tested at an official drag strip as it uses a timing system which is configured differently to the Microsat GPS equipment operated by Datron. The traction available on a seasoned drag strip could also improve matters further. "

Dan_G
05-07-2005, 10:56 PM

unless you're using a G-tech... and want a (false) figure that makes you feel good :P

BraindG
05-07-2005, 11:20 PM
/Hmmm How big was the gradient?.. it can't seriously make that much difference... can it?

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 11:23 PM
/Hmmm How big was the gradient?.. it can't seriously make that much difference... can it?
it was a deffinate incline............ how much effect it has I'm not sure ?? /Hmmm but down the hill was much better !! :thumbsup:
err............... until i tried to stop that is !! :embarasse

BraindG
05-07-2005, 11:28 PM
i don't know enough about it, so prolly best shurrup... but.... still, with my small mind, and the way it thinks, i can't figure out how a gradient... of say 1 or 2% would make much difference. I understand on something like a slip road of a motorway, or even something 1/4 the gradient there of..

i just don't gettit.. ill stick to changing nappies :)

caishanvr4
06-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Top pics guys /GJ
Some of these threads are splitting my sides :laugh:
Physician, i think if we timed your very last leaving run the equipment would have malfunctioned and melted /haz

Nice to meet your father brainG and remember that trade secret i told you ;)
keep it close to your chest :laugh:

Bentlys were the dogs but engines sounded like a couple of tractors from a distance on tickover/Hmmm

Brunty, yes i made to the petrol station but had to fill up with unleaded /Hissy
and that picture of me and wouter ,looks like a few funny captions would fit the bill, polished cars certainly didn't let the sides down and by the way hows your new best friend /YMaster ??

Wouter
06-07-2005, 08:06 AM
What a Day!! :thumbsup:

My first event as a fully paid up club member! (Still missing something....... oh yes a VR4)

Anyway even without a VR4 I managed to make myself usefull! (See below)

Those Bentley's were great!! 155 mph Wow! The only problem was that it felt like a 90 mph! No sensation of speed at all!

Give me a VR4 anyday!! :evil2:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/gallery/data/media/38/P1010044.JPG

Physician
06-07-2005, 08:18 AM
OK, I'm awake at last and will shortly process some of the other shots I took and upload them.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Dave for setting this up and the guys at J-Tuner for a well organised, fun day.

Glad you eventually found us Paul (caishnvr4) and I'm REALLY pleased that Steve (Brunty) made it :smug: !!! - Just to carry on moaning, I've realised another reason which will have added a few tenths - I had a full fuel tank ...... it was still three quarters full when I got back home.

I was wondering how much it would cost to hire that track, or part of the track, at some future stage for our own little venue. Perhaps you could ask Matt whom we can contact Dave to see what the cost and rules would be ........ we would probably have to have Marshals etc but it might be interesting for a national meet at some time?

We wouldn't be allowed to 'race' but we could set up a lap timing session of some sort to make it competitive and fun. If you could ask Matt for contact details I'd be happy to take it from there if you wish.

Rich

BraindG
06-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Top pics guys /GJ

Nice to meet your father brainG and remember that trade secret i told you ;)
keep it close to your chest :laugh:

Don't worry mate :thumbsup: you secret will come to to grave with me /lol

BraindG
06-07-2005, 08:21 AM
I was wondering how much it would cost to hire that track, or part of the track, at some future stage for our own little venue. Perhaps you could ask Matt whom we can contact Dave to see what the cost and rules would be ........ we would probably have to have Marshals etc but it might be interesting for a national meet at some time?

Very good idea!

Physician
06-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Photos:

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/bru1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/bru2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/bru3.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/bru4.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/bru5.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/bru6.jpg

SGHOM
06-07-2005, 04:17 PM

We wouldn't be allowed to 'race' but we could set up a lap timing session of some sort to make it competitive and fun. If you could ask Matt for contact details I'd be happy to take it from there if you wish.

Rich

I dont know how much it would be to hire the track, but Mike reckoned for a club session, It would not be all that expensive ? /Hmmm
all I do know is that Datron will hire us the timing equipment for £275 for 2 days......... or a weekend, whichever is shorter !! :embarasse all we would need is a decent laptop & someone to use it...... I'll do that if no-one else can ?? :thumbsup: /Nuuu :uhoh2: :computer:
the last time they hired it out to a club, they managed 171 timed runs !! 0-60 0-100 1/4, mile & top speed. worth thinking about ??

Brunty
06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
That would make a very interesting national meet!
:thinking2

enigma
06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
the last time they hired it out to a club, they managed 171 timed runs !! 0-60 0-100 1/4, mile & top speed. worth thinking about ??

Ok, I will have 170 goes, what am I bid for the last one? :joker:

Kieran
06-07-2005, 05:01 PM
That would make a very interesting national meet!

I like the sound of this......

psbarham
06-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I was wondering how much it would cost to hire that track, or part of the track, at some future stage for our own little venue.
it amazing i mentioned this a couple of months ago and no one was interested in the slightest .

Physician
06-07-2005, 06:25 PM

Hahaha!

Do me a favour Dave ........ make it 169 and then Brunty and I can have one go each. I refuse to be timed unless Brunty also has a go :embarasse

But seriously, I didn't realise we could hire that equipment. That sounds a brilliant idea. Lets follow this up and plan a day/weekend. Whereas we could do it this summer if a slot is available maybe we could reserve the track for next summer to give us a big leadtime for members etc to plan ahead. (No, not the whole summer - just one weekend! :embarasse )

Brunty
06-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I refuse to be timed unless Brunty also has a go :embarasse

Just 'cos I'm your new best friend doesn't mean we have to do everything together.

:love: sorry I meant :beerchug:

Already plotting my tactics for the next time we meet, starting with my seat belt on rather than putting it on when I hit 100mph (my Mum would marmalize me if she knew) should gain me something! The rest are tactical and will be kept secret /Steeringw

Wodjno
06-07-2005, 06:57 PM

Right Dave.. I'll get on to my Nitrous supplier.. /Steeringw :thumbsup: :5shots:

I'm sure we can work you out a good deal :inquisiti

ANTHONY
06-07-2005, 06:59 PM
barry i like the new decals down the side of the car, r u gonna keep them/Steeringw

enigma
06-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Videos now available to members :smug:

not dialup friendly :embarasse

Videos (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9788)

Brunty
06-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Great vids Dave :thumbsup:

Had a chuckle to myself when the photographer asked for 'tight circles' - did a good job though.

caishanvr4
07-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Nice one BDA :thumbsup:

BraindG
07-07-2005, 08:17 AM
barry i like the new decals down the side of the car, r u gonna keep them/Steeringw
Yeah, i think ill keep em for a while yet, i really like them... hopefully get the other ones i wanted sorted out and it will look just as i want it :) - thanks to dave for sorting me out!

BraindG
07-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Videos now available to members :smug:

not dialup friendly :embarasse

Videos (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9788)
Dave the final vid on Page one doesnt match what you have wrote..

enigma
07-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Dave the final vid on Page one doesnt match what you have wrote..

eh????

BraindG
07-07-2005, 09:20 AM
nm i fixed it, i have to use the download option cos if proxy at work, and the download was for brunty1.wmv when the imbedded video was for BruntWeeeeee.wmv.. s'ok as you were.

BraindG
07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
hmmm, listning to my videos again, and comparing it to the others, what on earth is that squeling noise my car is making? sounds like theres wheelspin all the way up the track... /Hmmm

diddingtonwizard
07-07-2005, 05:58 PM
all the ones i had, and the ones here on forum are now up on gallery...
when more are added here, ill upload em to gallery..

Pictures look great on the gallery. Just one thing I noticed.... we were at Bruntingthorpe not Millbrook.

Brunty
08-07-2005, 10:19 AM
BruntWeeeeee.wmv

BruntWeeeeee????????

BDA - you taking the mickey out of my exhaust note? Trying to shame me into a BDA DeCat?

BraindG
08-07-2005, 01:44 PM
hmmm, listning to my videos again, and comparing it to the others, what on earth is that squeling noise my car is making? sounds like theres wheelspin all the way up the track... /Hmmm
Anyone got any ideas? its very noticable in video2, where i lauched pretty good. Is it a belt squeling?