PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Rattle

DUNLY
05-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi guys, been searching through the old posts to see if i could find anything, but most seem to be on auto boxes.

i get loud rattle from my manual box (GLS) between 5500/6000rpm, dont hear anything before this. had an old galant glsi L reg that had done 140000 miles and went like a whisper. anyone heard anything else like this or is it just mine.

cheers

Big Ian
05-07-2005, 07:17 PM
:inquisiti not heard any complaint's about the GLS man-box /Hmmm .....

check the oil level or maybe it's in need of new oil?

are you getting it in every gear (that you take the rev's up in)?

how does your gear change feel?

are you getting the noise when the car is parked and you rev it?

colVR4
05-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Are you sure its the gear box? It may be that at those revs it sets up some harmonics and something loose is rattling near the gearbox. I had this problem with my V6 and thought it was the cat, just turned out to be some loose heat shielding. Had it fixed in place and the rattling stopped. Just a thought!!

DUNLY
05-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Ian :

yeah get it in every gear, when i rev the engine right up it doesnt doesnt rattle. Can feel it rattle through the gearstick. how easy is it to check the oil?

ColVR4: dont think anything is loose, but would it still rattle through the stick?

goin out for a burn in a bit, i'll pay extremely close attention.

Big Ian
05-07-2005, 08:31 PM
it could just be from the release bearing (chatter sound)
try rev'n with the clutch out then again with the clutch pressed in (to the floor) and see if you can hear anything.
also check the engine/gearbox mount's are in good order/tight, incase your box has to much movement under presure. (could cause movement in the stick?)

DUNLY
05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
just been out a burn, slight (v slight) rattle when reving when not in gear (guessing thats normal just with the vibration) and does it in every gear between 5500/6000. i'll have a look the moro and see if i can see anything, but im not to mechanically minded.

cheers guys.

ritch_w
06-07-2005, 08:11 AM
how many miles has your car done?

does it have a fsh?

get underneath and check everything is tight - make sure there are no loose heat shields etc rattling or anything banging against the box

do as Ian suggests- with engine mounts etc - is there any play in the box if you give it a shove?

could be a clutch release bearing on it way out - i had this is in a Nissan Primera (pool car) but it sounded like aprop engined plane taking off!!! no rattles tho....

do you have a garage you use that you trust? could they take a look at the car and diagnos it with charging you mega bucks??

DUNLY
06-07-2005, 09:21 AM
cars done 67700k with full service history, yeah i think i will do that, take it to my mechanic, dads been going there for the past 25 year and ive been going since i had ma first car, see what he has to say.

once i get the time and he's looked at it, i'll certainly let you guys know.

cheers

Big Ian
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
hopefully at worst it'll just be the clutch release bearing , if you'v just started getting the sound then it can go on for a while yet ,but if your mechanic feel's it would be better changed then price the full cluth (3 part's) as it'll save you money on the long run.