PDA

View Full Version : Bought an intercooler !

Spirit
05-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Yep, just done a deal on this beauty.

3" inlet/outlet, 24"(600mm) long, 12"(300mm) tall, 3"(76mm) deep :thumbsup:

Will cope with up to 700bhp........yeah right, if only :embarasse

Best I start reading Dave and Graham's threads in a bit more detail - no pipework with it /help

Dan_G
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
oooh nicey nice....

cool :beatnik2:

pezza
05-07-2005, 10:24 PM
oooh nicey nice....

cool :beatnik2:

R E S I S T Dan :evil2:

Does look mighty cool tho.... is 3inch thick a bit of a tight squeeze tho?.. (no carry-on style comments please) :thumbsup: :joker:

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 10:36 PM
the dogs danglies !! :thumbsup:
but I'll stick to my DIY spray for the moment. :embarasse :embarasse

Spirit
05-07-2005, 10:37 PM
is 3inch thick a bit of a tight squeeze tho?

It can be done.....as proven by BDA and Bonzai Boy :thumbsup:

SGHOM
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
It can be done.....as proven by BDA and Bonzai Boy :thumbsup:
just make sure you're pipework is flanged !! /Hmmm too many flying off at Bruntingthorpe today !! /help

HJM
05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Looks good Pete :thumbsup: - no pressure on yourself (or AP ?), but is this going in before or after RT2 ? 3 weeks and counting :drummer:
You're worried about the hot weather (so am I /help ) - going to be hard on the car and drivers I reckon :chugchug:

Spirit
05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Well the original plan was that I would leave it until after RT2, and whilst the front bumper was off I would get it resprayed along with the bonnet.

However, knowing me and my impatience let alone RT2, I can see me getting it organised in advance of RT2 subject to pipework etc.

I only agreed the deal at 9.30 tonight, and it should be in my hands tomorrow afternoon - getting it from a guy on UJCC who has decided not to continue with his mod plans. The car is paying a visit to AP tomorrow night so a discussion will no doubt take place :evil2:

bernmc
06-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Who's AP then??

enigma
06-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Be prepared for the results to be not as you expect. Also be prepared to fork out more money to sort out the problems you WILL face! I would seriously consider waiting until after RT2, or you may find your car is not worth taking! :embarasse

colVR4
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
What do you mean by 'results to be not as you expect' Dave? Does the larger intercooler not make a significant difference?

enigma
06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Col, just have a read through my experience with mine!

Kieran
06-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Col, just have a read through my experience with mine!

But now you've sorted it, are your power levels improved?

enigma
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Its still not 100% sorted, and its still not 100% back to where it was - let alone better! The ECU doesn't seem to be able to cope all that well, so some sort of add on is required on top. Emanage? SAFC? FCD? All extra expense!

Spirit
06-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Dave

I must admit I am quite concerned about the potential issues involved here, and I think I will probably heed your advice and wait until after RT2.....indeed it could end up a winter project.

Rally205
06-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Dave or anyone that is fitting an intercooler and hardpipes. If you don't have beads on the pipes and the hoses keep blowing off there is a solution. A bead roller is extremely expensive for a one off set of pipes but you could nip the pipes down to your local tig weldor and ask him to weld a bead around the ends of the pipes and then carefully file any sharp edges and polish them smooth. It probably wouldn't cost very much and would save alot of bother. :thumbsup:

enigma
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Pipes blowing off is the least of the issues I had! At least you can see when a pipe has come off!

-LegnumVR4-
06-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Dave or anyone that is fitting an intercooler and hardpipes. If you don't have beads on the pipes and the hoses keep blowing off there is a solution. A bead roller is extremely expensive for a one off set of pipes but you could nip the pipes down to your local tig weldor and ask him to weld a bead around the ends of the pipes and then carefully file any sharp edges and polish them smooth. It probably wouldn't cost very much and would save alot of bother. :thumbsup:

Thats whats done on all my pipe work, works a treat. Haven't had any blow off but i can only run a max boost of 10-11psi. :embarasse

Spirit
06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Thats whats done on all my pipe work, works a treat. Haven't had any blow off but i can only run a max boost of 10-11psi. :embarasse

So Rhys, are you saying that fitting an uprated intercooler has restricted you to this ?

bonsai boy
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
iv :evil2: e had no problems with my one

enigma
06-07-2005, 09:23 PM
You also have management mods..............:p

-LegnumVR4-
07-07-2005, 06:29 AM
So Rhys, are you saying that fitting an uprated intercooler has restricted you to this ?

It did have some effect on it but it seems its more the new pipes causing it. I'm a bit worried whenever i drag it that the car won't preform at the drags after hearing about power lost from installing a new intercooler. I never did any before an after tests or recorded bhp levels :embarasse

Spirit
07-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Well, Graham has kindly told me what bits I need to connect the intercooler to the exisiting pipework.

Plan currently then will probably be to fit the new FMIC to the existing pipework so that it can be easily removed and put back to standard if it causes any issues. Anyone see any issues with this, as Graham has had none doing it this way.

enigma
07-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Its worth a try if you have the time, but as I have said Graham has management which will be sorting it out!

Spirit
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
After PM's with Graham I ordered the required hoses from Samco. Looks like they arrived today but we were out so they are coming tomorrow.

Car provisionally booked in with Kevin at AP for end of next week, and explained the scenario.....i.e. I want to be able to put it back to standard immediately if there are any running issues.....at least until RT2 is over

Will update with pics/story as I go along

Spirit
13-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Car going into AP tomorrow night....work commences around 8.30pm.....wish me luck

/mental note.......take the bl**dy camera /pan

HJM
13-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Best of luck Pete, hope it all goes to plan :thumbsup: