PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

ReggieK
19-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi chaps,

As mentioned in another forum, am looking to buy my first vr4 and have the odd question....

Which is better...

Type S or Type V INSERT INTO post VALUES (whats the difference) Am looking for a 1999 to 2001 model so maybe academic - think all type V after 1999 - could be wrong though.

Auto INSERT INTO post VALUES (tiptronic) or Manual. I've always thought manual, but certain comments I have seen seem to indicate that the Tip box is better on this car.

Any advice you have on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Henkster
23-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Type V or S???

When I bought my VR4 the Dealer said it was an S the Ralliart mechanic said it was a V and I picked up a Brochure from Japan and it looks like its a S INSERT INTO post VALUES (The V's got no rear spolier in Japan) so who the Hell knows!!

Also youre looking at Buying one....well mines for sale - Check It Out on the For Sale Forum - ive gotta sell it INSERT INTO post VALUES (which I aint happy about) im possibly moving to Japan!!!

Itll be missed!!!

Henkster

zedy1
23-08-2003, 10:03 PM
dont think there much different really. i have a triptronc to be honest i think it is great compared to normal automatics

Henkster
23-08-2003, 10:15 PM
yeah I must agree the Tip tronic is much better than the Normal Autos

Spirit
24-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Henkster

Also youre looking at Buying one....well mines for sale - Check It Out on the For Sale Forum - ive gotta sell it INSERT INTO post VALUES (which I aint happy about) im possibly moving to Japan!!!

Itll be missed!!!

Henkster

But what the hell - if your in Japan I bet you can get a virtually brand new one for the cost of a 5 yr old one over here :D

Humayun
26-08-2003, 03:37 PM
When I bought my VR-4 from the importers, I was a bit disappointed when I discovered it was a manual, INSERT INTO post VALUES (the importer didn't import autos) as I already owned a standard Galant which was an automatic which for most driving, was perfect for my needs. My first experiences with driving it wasn't too impressive either, the clutch being a bit heavy compared to 2wd manuals I'd owned before. But after two years of ownership, I really am glad that it's a manual VR-4 and not a tiptronic. I can't describe in words why this is. You have to discover for yourself your own preferences along some country lanes. To me the manual is just a more involving and heightened driving experience. I think to go for any automatic version is to go for the softer version. This is why the Tiptronic Evo 7 has less power and costs less than than the manual, when in fact the tiptronic is a more sophisticated and expensive car to construct. This is why the Skyline GT-R only ever came as a manual. I'm not saying that I'm against tiptronic gearboxes. The new Audi RS6 is an auto and is much quicker than a BMW M5 which comes as a manual only. And 75% of Porsche 996 turbos are sold as automatics. But for the real hardcore 996, the GT2, it only comes as a manual. Only one problem with the manual VR-4. I'm trying to hand it to my Dad INSERT INTO post VALUES (I'm looking to replace it with an EVO and I can't bear to part with it) but he has arthiritis in his left knee and asks, "why didn't you get an auto version...?"

Ultra VR-4
27-08-2003, 12:38 AM
Type V looks much more aggressive from the front than a Type S, but the Type S has a much better looking dash :cool1:

I have a tiptronic and this works wonders driving to and from work in traffic. But hey I wouldnt complain if I had a manual.