PDA

View Full Version : Info please: VR4 vs V6 Sport vs GDi

mike
10-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi guys, one for the spec comparison guys... Kieran?

OK the VR4 has the 6A13TT engine and a INVECS II 5-speed auto box (or mine does at least).

What Galant, if any runs a 6A13 lump, or/and a 5-INVECS II 5-speed auto box?

In addition, if not covered in the answer to the above, what engine gearbox combo does the V6 sport use, and the same point on the GDi.

Am I right in thinking the Sport runs a 6A12 enigne with 4-speed auto, whilst the GDi runs a 5-speed auto? ? /help

Also if your feeling up to typing some more, what are the 6A12 and GDi engines like?

Now the reason I'm asking is... the VR4 will be going soon :bigcry: so looking at cheaper options, and just can't find much out there as nice looking as the Galant!

Mike.

colVR4
11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
The V6 Sport has the 6A13 engine but is naturally aspirated. It comes with either the 4-speed INVECS or manual transmission...

...and I have one for sale :D

Kieran
11-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Okay...

In terms of UK models, the V6 Sport and the V6-24 use the 6A13. There's an option of the INVECS-II 4-speed gearbox, which post 2000 has tiptronic mode.

The UK GDi is pants.

In terms of Jap-Spec models, the 6A13 was used, but only in the Legnum.... In the Legnum ST-R. The ST-R I think came with a 4-speed box.

In terms of Jap GDi units, well, there's the Legnum ST (1.8GDi), but that's 4-speed, or the later Legnum 24ST (2.4GDi). I think the 24ST can have either a 4 or a 5 speed box, depending on the year it was built.

Also, Mitsubishi introduced a special edition called the Viento Type-X. This can be found with a 5-speed autobox.

What are they like?

Well, the 6A13 is smooth and feels more powerful than it's 163bhp suggests. It's very flexible and tractable.

The only GDi I've driven was a 2.4 UK spec one. The Jap units were considerably more powerful, but need ninja-quality 100RON Jap fuel to operate at full efficiency. I didn't like it - felt rough and didn't pull that well.

Hope this helps!
K

mike
11-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Nice plug there... is your V6 an auto? If so, other than the extra gear, what are the differences between the 'boxes? drivability? response? etc. My other halfs FTO with the 4-speed INVECS box slips through the gears and always sounds like its over-revving for the speed its going. Very irritating. Not very responsive int the throttle either...

P.S. Need to sell the VR4 first before looking for another car...

mike
11-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I knew you'd come up with the goods K ! Thanks!!

Sounds like for me the best bet is a V6 Sport, in manual, or put up with the 4-speed auto.

I'll skip the GDi's - prefer a V6 growl anyway.

So what about the 6A12 engine?

Mike.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a VR4?

colVR4
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
The auto in the 6A13 V6 Sport is sublime. I still prefer it over the 5-speed INVECS in the VR4 (although that may be down to worn ATF in the VR4).

There is no slipping at all through the gears and it shifts up and down smoothly without any jerking at all (apart from the first 5 mins from cold startup when there is a slight one from 2nd to 3rd).

If you are interested you could always have a test drive in the car to see what you make of it.