PDA

View Full Version : my new brakes & discs........

caishanvr4
11-07-2005, 12:58 AM
The ferodo & national combo which got put on last saturday only seem a tiny bit better than my previous standard worn to fcuk standard brakes & discs /Hmmm .As far as i know the brake fluid wasn't drained or flushed and the brake pedal seems a tad spongy. whats the best way to get the best from my brakes /help to get me stopping with confidence.

Kenneth
11-07-2005, 01:09 AM
You should change the brake fluid. (at least bleed it)
A 600 degree dot 4 i think is what you want. someone else might have a specific brand/grade they can reccomend.

That aside, do they need bedding in? often a new pad/rotor combo needs te be bedded in to work properly. I remember getting new pads/rotors on my old car. they hardly worked at all for the first little while. The hand brake worked better than the foot brake ;)

mpau009
11-07-2005, 04:14 AM
That aside, do they need bedding in? often a new pad/rotor combo needs te be bedded in to work properly. I remember getting new pads/rotors on my old car. they hardly worked at all for the first little while. The hand brake worked better than the foot brake ;)

When i got all four changed, just to new factory items (pads and front rotors), i was told not to use them heavily for at least 400k, to make sure that any imperfections in the pads wear off without damaging anything, give it a couple of weeks, hopefully they will get alot better on their testing equipment, there was about a 15% increase on the rear (pads only), and 25% on the fronts after three weeks.

Also, i don't know much about brake gear, but are you sure you have an appropriate pad for daily driving, cause i think some require a fair bit of heat until you can get the best from them??

dickytim
11-07-2005, 06:26 AM
The best (and most affordable) brake fluid to use is Castrol SRF, not cheap tho.

The absolute best is form Brambo, it is the stuff F1 uses mega $$$$

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=8290039&contentId=6007734

Spirit
11-07-2005, 07:15 AM
I assume you have the 8 groove National's and the Ferodo DS2500 pads ?

This combination has proven a successful upgrade from standard parts on the VR4's in the UK. The main reason I first invested in them and got them up and running as a club buy was:

1: The DS2500's are a compromise between road and race - ideal if you do the occassional track day. The previous DS3000's were race only.
2: Price - IIRC the standard pads/disc setup was gonna cost me around £400-£450, the setup you have just fitted should have cost you under £250 for sure !

They need at least 100+ miles to bed in, and I would also get the fluid changed if you have not had it done. You may also want to consider a braided hose set up at the same time. This will also help with a harder pedal.

caishanvr4
12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys :chugchug: :thumbsup:

Polabear
14-07-2005, 07:51 AM
I would also get the fluid changed if you have not had it done. You may also want to consider a braided hose set up at the same time. This will also help with a harder pedal.

Works every time...... :thumbsup: :happy:

caishanvr4
14-07-2005, 06:14 PM
where can i purchase these braided brake hoses and how much ? Is it a big job to change and should i change front and back. I have done over 800 miles now and pedal still feels soft and not stopping any better. where would be the best place to take it to get the brakes sorted ??

Polabear
15-07-2005, 01:22 PM
where can i purchase these braided brake hoses and how much ? Is it a big job to change and should i change front and back. I have done over 800 miles now and pedal still feels soft and not stopping any better. where would be the best place to take it to get the brakes sorted ??

I can supply them, any reputable workshop can fit them and bleed your brakes thru with new Hi temp fluid..I will supply six kits at a time if anyone is interested, and yes you should fit all round... :thumbsup:

d3x
15-07-2005, 01:25 PM
I can supply them, any reputable workshop can fit them and bleed your brakes thru with new Hi temp fluid..I will supply six kits at a time if anyone is interested, and yes you should fit all round... :thumbsup:

At what cost though?

Polabear
15-07-2005, 02:25 PM
At what cost though?

The last run I done came out to £30.95 + 50p for coloured vinyl sheathing (reccomended to protect the braid from road sh!te and grit) £2 postage I think it was +vat......as everyone said...Bobby Bargain... :thumbsup: but as of march 1st there has been a 10% increase by suppliers....... :inquisiti see the previous thread here......http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5283&highlight=braided+hoses

d3x
15-07-2005, 02:36 PM
ok, that's a cool price! Gotta change me brakes soon anyway as a skweelin has developed. Cash is a bit of an issue with movin and all that but I feel I'd better buy stuff while I can. Are you able to get this sort of thing anytime or is it a now or never offer?

cheers matey..

Polabear
15-07-2005, 02:38 PM
ok, that's a cool price!

I will do another run if I can get a min order for six Kits :thumbsup: :chugchug:

Kieran
15-07-2005, 02:55 PM
I will do another run if I can get a min order for six Kits :thumbsup: :chugchug:

Hello Sean!!! /wave

paulmc
15-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi Sean,

Put me down for a set with the carbon fibre look-a-like plastic coat :thumbsup:

cheers

Paul

d3x
15-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Sounds cool mate. So we're looking at about 35 quid then? Will they fit for any brake set up? I am interested!!! And so it would seem is Kieran! lol

tig202
15-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Count me in for some too Mr Bear :thumbsup: (the same as rally205's if poss ;))

pezza
15-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Yup I got a set for me leggy from same place last year .. works a treat and hardened up brake pedal loads ... :thumbsup: Its a *MUST BUY* /yes

caishanvr4
16-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Yes, i will try anything that will aid me in stopping quicker, stick me down for one of those sean :thumbsup:

Axeboy
16-07-2005, 06:59 PM
I'll take a set if they fit pre-facelift

wirdy
17-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Regarding the bedding-in of DS2500 pads - (from the Ferodo leaflet)-

"Perform 25 to 30 trial brake applications, each of approximately 4 seconds, using around 50% of normal (race) pedal pressure.

Then they're bedded-in. Worked a treat for me. :happy:

Polabear
18-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Sounds cool mate. So we're looking at about 35 quid then? Will they fit for any brake set up? I am interested!!! And so it would seem is Kieran! lol

Don't know which school you went to....but it rounds out to £45 all in.... /pan

d3x
18-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Don't know which school you went to....but it rounds out to £45 all in.... /pan

lol, I'm so sh!te with numbers. Not sure how I came to that figure either.. Thank god I have a personal financial adviser, just wish she'd stop spending all my cash on shoes... :happy:

MunkyWrench
30-11-2006, 09:54 AM
i'd like some braided lines, the brakes are rubbish on my pre facelift. I'm looking into disc/caliper options though, will i need new lines again if i went that route?

WildCards
30-11-2006, 10:44 AM
braided lines will only firm the pedal up, they won't improve brakeing. Get some DS2500 front pads and see how they are, if your still not happy, start spending more money on discs and fluid

MunkyWrench
30-11-2006, 11:15 AM
yeh, i mean they are rubbish all round.

a lot of freeplay in the pedal, then its very soft and theres a lot of travel, then all of a sudden i have used up a whole bunch of available braking distance and to get the savage stop i need i really have to stand on it.

i am going to try either ds2500's or those carbotech xp8's teh evo guys are loving. not sure if the xp8 is too much of a race pad though. I need street pads really.

but yes firming the pedal up would go along way to giving me some confidence in these brakes. The car feels like it should weigh 2 ton's at the moment.

Ive been driving my dads new mazda 6. no free play, and almost savage bite as soon as ur foot touches the brake pedal. takes a bit of getting used to.

WildCards
30-11-2006, 11:22 AM
If you've got a spongy pedal it's prolly your brake fluid. Get it changed along with new pads and blead properly and you'll be laughing.

psbarham
30-11-2006, 06:47 PM
i am going to try either ds2500's or those carbotech xp8's teh evo guys are loving. not sure if the xp8 is too much of a race pad though. I need street pads really.

trust me , i have the carbotechs on mine and without a word of a lie they are fecking awesome , i went in bruntys car at donny which had ds2500s on it , and they were cooked in about 5 laps , i have done numerous hard ( ok very hard) from 130mph+ (private road of course) and not a hint of fade , even repeated hard 70+ use on twisty private roads fail to upset them . the only bit that gets bothered by them is the abs which doesn't like kicking in in the dry at 70

caishanvr4
30-11-2006, 11:04 PM
trust me , i have the carbotechs on mine and without a word of a lie they are fecking awesome , i went in bruntys car at donny which had ds2500s on it , and they were cooked in about 5 laps , i have done numerous hard ( ok very hard) from 130mph+ (private road of course) and not a hint of fade , even repeated hard 70+ use on twisty private roads fail to upset them . the only bit that gets bothered by them is the abs which doesn't like kicking in in the dry at 70

These are next on my list :2thumbsup

Spirit
30-11-2006, 11:13 PM
i went in bruntys car at donny which had ds2500s on it , and they were cooked in about 5 laps

I would put that down to discs or fluid and not the pads. I have run DS2500s on numerous trackdays, Nurburgring trips etc and never had an issue with them......they are superb !