PDA

View Full Version : EVO 5,6,7 Bonnet Vents

paulmc
11-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Anyone know where I can get some of these. We went on a few 40mile runs while on hols only doing around 60mph and the heat on/under the bonnet was unreal.

I was thinking of buying 2 of these vents and finding the nearest sunroof fitter and getting him to cut 2 holes in my bonnets. I fitted a sunroof years ago to my Mini and the cut was very neat, no nead for filler etc.

Anyone got any other ideas as i am open to suggestions /Hmmm

paulmc
11-07-2005, 11:45 AM
maybe should have put this in the customising section /Hmmm

enigma
11-07-2005, 12:04 PM
My bonnet vents work really well! You can see the heat escaping when stood at traffic lights!

I have posted a beginning to end how to somewhere!

d3x
11-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Didn't interlec suffer from rust due to vents on the bonnet?

bradc
11-07-2005, 08:28 PM
I would have that that when the car is running the engine will be so hot that any water on it would almost instantly be turned into steam. Maybe if the car is left sitting out in the rain when parked there could be problems?

Spirit
11-07-2005, 11:23 PM
I have vents in mine and as Dave says they work very well.

In the winter I have a cover (which goes inside the bonnet) to stop the rain getting into the engine bay :thumbsup:

SGHOM
11-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Didn't interlec suffer from rust due to vents on the bonnet?
nah........... that was Dave's old engine when he replaced it.

the rust on my engine starts now !! :embarasse :embarasse

Pescha
12-07-2005, 01:56 AM
On my new bonnet it has a cover that goes in the inside, which in winter (now) I'll keep it on. But in summer I'm thinking about removing the cover so the motor can breathe better.... This way I wont get any rust if any should occur with the water :thumbsup:

Pescha!

bradc
12-07-2005, 05:18 AM
The problem with your cover Pescha is that no cold air can come through ;) I was thinking about having something similar to venetian blinds to close up and stop water coming in when the car is stopped.

/////// - car running

________ - car stopped

Pescha
12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
The problem with your cover Pescha is that no cold air can come through ;) I was thinking about having something similar to venetian blinds to close up and stop water coming in when the car is stopped.

/////// - car running

________ - car stopped

I know that Brad! There would be some sort of air getting thru though as it is not a sealed unit, i.e sealed with sealant. It is only screwed in, hence why in summer (when it is hot!) I'll be removing it for the cooler air. Plus the vent on the passenger side is completely open so cooler air will be getting in that way as well...... To be honest I brought my bonnet more for the aggressive look, but it's a bonus that I have the option of cool air or not!.....

Pescha!

bradc
12-07-2005, 11:20 AM
I was thinking another way around it would be to have a piece of metal underneath the hole in the bonnet that is designed to scoop up the air coming from the radiator, and out through the hole. any water going into the hole would simply run down the metal and end up on the radiator. This would also take heat straight from the radiator out the top of the bonnet, especially useful when the radiator fans come on, and when driving at speed.

colVR4
12-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Just a thought, but has anybody actually done a 1/4 mile run with the bonnet off on a dry day to see if there is a difference?