PDA

View Full Version : gearchange backfire

nutrok
12-07-2005, 07:22 AM
hey guys
was just wondering if you fita bov to the tirtronic vr4 and it dont recirculate any air does it back fire during gearchange?
cheers

Kieran
12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
hey guys
was just wondering if you fita bov to the tirtronic vr4 and it dont recirculate any air does it back fire during gearchange?
cheers

Nah, not unless you step off the throtle.

Kenneth
12-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Nah, not unless you step off the throtle.

LOL And who would be stupid enough to do a thing like that?? /Steeringw

Quail
29-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but does the VR4 gearbox retard the timing to speed up the gearshifts? Not sure how it does it, but my friends soarer retards the timing between changes to somehow speed them up - often accompanied by lots of flames out both pipes! Just out of interest..

Cheers

Kenneth
29-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but does the VR4 gearbox retard the timing to speed up the gearshifts? Not sure how it does it, but my friends soarer retards the timing between changes to somehow speed them up - often accompanied by lots of flames out both pipes! Just out of interest..

Cheers

Sounds like anti-lag...

if you have turbos, you can keep the turbos spinning by continuing to push fuel into the cylinders but retarding the ignition significantly so that the fuel is still burning as it leaves the cylinders. Result is rappidly expanding gasses in the exaust manifold which keep the turbine spinning and boost high

Kieran
29-11-2005, 12:58 AM
It ain't anti-lag kenneth - basically the Soarer's Gearbox ECU signals the engine ECU to reduce fuelling and retard timing - it lowers engine torque which means less for the clutches to take up and less of a 'shunt' into the next gear. Not sure if the INVECS system is the same, but it 'feels' like it during driving - that bit where it 'slurs' into the next gear.

Kenneth
29-11-2005, 01:04 AM
It ain't anti-lag kenneth - basically the Soarer's Gearbox ECU signals the engine ECU to reduce fuelling and retard timing - it lowers engine torque which means less for the clutches to take up and less of a 'shunt' into the next gear. Not sure if the INVECS system is the same, but it 'feels' like it during driving - that bit where it 'slurs' into the next gear.

oh... its an auto thing then is it? :inquisiti

bah... reducing engine torque... stupid thing to do... bah... :rolleyes4 :joker:

bradc
29-11-2005, 07:58 AM
all I want to do is to get flames out of the exhaust if I lift off at high revs ;)

Quail
29-11-2005, 10:01 PM

Thats the one :evil2:

He doesnt have a DTA bov either. Just straight through exhaust(s), decat and downpipe, and FCD. Very very quick car may I add; beat my dads Z the other day, and a mates r33gtst!

I really have a soft spot for those TT Auto soarers.

Anyhoo, if the VR4 gearbox is similar, I dont see why it shouldnt "backfire" when shifting with a decat and straight through single exhaust!

Kenneth
29-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Thats the one :evil2:

He doesnt have a DTA bov either. Just straight through exhaust(s), decat and downpipe, and FCD. Very very quick car may I add; beat my dads Z the other day, and a mates r33gtst!

I really have a soft spot for those TT Auto soarers.

Anyhoo, if the VR4 gearbox is similar, I dont see why it shouldnt "backfire" when shifting with a decat and straight through single exhaust!

The VR-4 auto that I drove (ashamed as I am to have driven an auto... :joker:) did not do this. I think you are out of luck.

bradc
30-11-2005, 07:02 AM
mine 'pops' if I lift off the throttle at above 4000rpm and let it slow down on it's own accord for more than a few seconds. It doesn't backfire properly though :(

I think with altered ECU settings, it should be possible to 'tune' in

Quail
30-11-2005, 06:20 PM
mine 'pops' if I lift off the throttle at above 4000rpm and let it slow down on it's own accord for more than a few seconds. It doesn't backfire properly though :(

I think with altered ECU settings, it should be possible to 'tune' in

That would involve richening it up even more than it already is though :embarasse

What exhaust are you running out've interest mate?