PDA

View Full Version : leaking gearbox

SGHOM
19-08-2003, 09:49 PM
the seal between my gearbox & engine is leaking atf fluid, & I know it's something I've got to get sorted permanently soon. but in the meantime, WYNNES do a product which claims to stop these leaks. I'm not a fan of addatives, but do you think it might be worth trying in the short term ??

LOMY
19-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Probably will stop the leak for ordinary use but....if you take it to santa plod could be a problem !!!!!!! Might get wet

zedy1
19-08-2003, 10:55 PM
r u going to santa pod

SGHOM
19-08-2003, 10:56 PM
whats the difference between ordinary use, & santa pod??? I use my accelerator as an "on & off "switch anyway. :D :D

Kieran
19-08-2003, 11:06 PM
I may sound a bit of a harbinger of doom, but you may regret it.

The US galant siteINSERT INTO post VALUES (The Galant Center (http://www.thegalantcenter.com)) has several posts from owners who have used non-Mitsubishi ATF in their boxes, only to experience problems ranging from rough shifts to busted internals. From what I've read, even the stuff that's supposed to meet the required Drexon standards may be a gamble.

My point to you is that the INVECS-II 'box seems a little sensitive to non-Miitsubishi fluid. I assume this is because the composition of other fluids are different to Mitsubishi's ATF. I don't know for sure, but potentially you are risking altering the composition of the ATF fluid from Mitsubishi specification by using an additive - and therefore risking your 'box throwing a wobbly!

If it were me, I'd go for checking the level each day and topping it up when required untill it can be sorted. Better to spend money on a can or two of Mitsubishi ATF fluid and a new seal, than gamble on a 'stop-leak' that could end up costing you a lot more...

LOMY
19-08-2003, 11:06 PM
zedy wrote
r u going to santa pod

Ill be there Z. Runnin on 10% Meth.... for that special occasion :Eyecrazy: INSERT INTO post VALUES (310 ponies :monkey1: ).

You wanna meet up en route ? Dont know where im staying yet but will sort that later.

whats the difference between ordinary use, & santa pod??? I use my accelerator as an "on & off "switch anyway.

HeHe......... You sound like a Meth man to me Interlec. You goin too?

LOMY
19-08-2003, 11:08 PM
What the ............ That monkey smiley didnt work Barry !

SGHOM
19-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Ill take that on board Keiran. but the problem is, a new seal costs around a tenner, but apparantly, it's engine & gearbox out to fit. :mad:

zedy1
19-08-2003, 11:13 PM
robbing c8nts

zedy1
19-08-2003, 11:14 PM
how much? for reference

SGHOM
19-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by LOMY
zedy wrote

Ill be there Z. Runnin on 10% Meth.... for that special occasion :Eyecrazy: INSERT INTO post VALUES (310 ponies :monkey1:).

You wanna meet up en route ? Dont know where im staying yet but will sort that later.

HeHe......... You sound like a Meth man to me Interlec. You goin too? nah !!! not meths.... just tennants super !! hic !:D

zedy1
19-08-2003, 11:17 PM

let me know what time your leaving pete

LOMY
19-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Zedy wrote:
let me know what time your leaving pete

Ill post you nearer to time Zedy and we can kick some ass on the M6 as preparation INSERT INTO post VALUES (only joking officer ;) )

zedy1
19-08-2003, 11:43 PM
sounds good :D :D :D

Spirit
20-08-2003, 06:40 AM
You guys planning on an overnight stay the night before or travelling up on the day ? Would be cool if we could all stay in the same place and have a bit of a social if yo do :D

Interlec - I would follow the advice on here - only use Mitsy ATF and get it sorted asap - my oil leak took a month to get sorted :Cry1: and was done under warranty thank god as the seal was £15 but would have cost hundreds on labour

BraindG
20-08-2003, 07:36 AM
What the ............ That monkey smiley didnt work Barry !
you had a ) to close made it think there was a normal smilie there... ive added a space

zedy1
20-08-2003, 11:18 PM
whats the monkey buisness

Henkster
23-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Re the Leaking Gearbox

Mine had gone when I bought it - The local Dealer INSERT INTO post VALUES (Ralliart) fitted a new one £38 for the seal and £450 to fit it.:Cry1:

I watched the whole thing what a job!!!

I wouldnt like to imagine how much a replacement Gearbox is if it goes bang!!!

Spirit
24-08-2003, 12:23 AM
I remember a figure of around £2.5k for a new gearbox being mentioned somewhere - but I may be wrong