PDA

View Full Version : engine bore

mitzylongboy
18-07-2005, 07:48 AM
hi all you speed freaks!! i have been posing this question on the mitsubishi forum and i am not getting very far with the info, maybe it's as easy as going to my local dealer and asking! lol. i currently run a galant V6 but have plans to buy a VR4 legnum at the end of the year. i am trying to understand mitsubishi's logic of several different V6 engines? the FTO and galant 2.0, the 2.5 n/a & twin turbo AND the gto/3000gt 3.0! not to mention the shogun 3.0 & 3.5 engines !! THE question is....... is the engine in my n/a V6 identical to the legnum twin blower unit? what about the gto/3000gt is this a bored out version of mine & the legnum's? they certanly look similar! does this possibly mean an engine bore on a VR4 can be achieved to 3.0? OR could you get a donor gto/3000gt engine and drop it in to a legnum? i was told by a member in the mitsubishi forum that it's more feasable the 2.0 galant engine was bored out to 2.5 for my car. the thing is i have looked at many pikkies of all these engines and the only two that look anything alike is the galant (legnum) engine and the gto/3000gt lump. even the FTO and 2.0 galant engines are worlds apart. the major difference i can see is the air filter and throttle bodies are pointing in different directions on my car and the gto/3000gt. i don't know if swapping the manifold will mean changing the size from the 3.0 gto/3000gt and putting on the smaller ones? probably a silly thought! maybe with a gto/3000gt engine in a legnum would automatically allow you to put the air filter system on the left (as you look at the car) as opposed to the right. does this all make sense? also while in the flow..... would it be fairly easy to swap an INVECS II gearbox to a manual version? HEY i just remembered! some of you must of heard about the gearbox problems the gto/3000gt car's have? there seem to be plenty of people who can sort them! could you put a recon one of these in ya legnum auto if the gearbox is that messed up and no one wants to take on the scary job of fixing yours? PLEASE CAN ANYONE PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY AND PUT CLOSURE ON IT ONCE AND FOR ALL! /pan

enigma
18-07-2005, 08:53 AM
The 2.5 V6 and the 2.5 V6 TT are both based on the 6A13 engine which is similar to the 6A12 engine found in the FTO and earlier Galants. However the GTO engine is different in that it is 180 degrees rotated and is therefore not really a suitable alternative unless you get the gearbox and transfer box to suit - even then there is no gaurantee it will fit.

As for the bos, mine has coped with 450BHP launches so I figure they are quite strong, but at least one member has done a manual conversion.

mitzylongboy
18-07-2005, 12:49 PM
thanks for the info. with regards to the gearbox i was just thinking about the cost of repair as mentioned in the profile of the mighty legnum. it stated the repair cost would be huge and finding someone to take the monumental task on would be slim to none! i wasn't really saying they are unreliable. just very costly when they do go wrong. maybe there was a cheaper alternative in the way of the ( what seems to be easier to repair ) gto/3000gt gearbox. oh well. i take it there isn't any room for increased displacement on the stock galant/legnum engine? thanks again!

mitzylongboy
18-07-2005, 12:52 PM
i forgot to mention my motives for the manual g/box conversion....i am finding the manuals much more expensive to buy than the tiptronic version ( probably more than a recon box plus fitting ). i just thought it would save money?

Nick Mann
18-07-2005, 01:01 PM
There is room for increased displacement. How much I guess depends on the depth of your pocket! 3.0l has been talked about before with a combination of boring and stroking, but I don't know if anyone has done it.

Someone once stated that £1500 would be enough to provide all the bits needed for a manual conversion, but how much truth is in that I don't know.

mitzylongboy
18-07-2005, 06:01 PM
WOW thank you all very much for this info!!! superb !! i know it's probably the long way round to gain big power but you lot also mention the relatively pointless task of fitting dump valves and such like. i know these things of beauty are fairly unique and probably the ultimate sleeper but it won't be too long before others catch on to our little secret! so more unique-ness is required for superior but reliable power gains . lol. i also have plans to fit a scissor door kit ( lambo doors ) i know of an evo 1,2,3 kit and i was hoping the kit will fit a legnum, we shall see! maybe try and do both sets of doors! i need to visit other forums for other mods! thanks again! i will keep an eye on this thread though.