Last Online
    07-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Ralliart V

Two weeks..

...since I got my VR4. Time flys when you're having fun
    It's only when you've had a car for this long that you can suss out how good it is. And it's gooood.
    Sulli.
    So well planted on the bends it's untrue, almost Playstation-like the way it'll change direction. Two lights on the AYC so far, three might have been up, but I was 'concentrating' on something else
    Gawd knows what an Evo 8/9/whatevernumbertheyreupto must be like.
    Petrol consumption on the first tank was 26 mpg - yes really - taking it nice and steady for the first few miles, bringing myself up to the car's abilities gradually.
    On the third tank now, daren't work that one out
    Defo double figures though
    The cat is back on - is that boo-ing I hear? And it's still damn loud. But in a nice way. The exhaust tailpipe restrictor is still in, might be coming out soon though, all the Boeing 747 impressions seem to scare the cr*p out of people, and it doesn't really cut the noise inside the car on a steady throttle.
    Other fiddling has commenced - some stone chips done (Nissan blue metallic touch-up isn't a bad match!), a bit of waxoyl here and there, more will be going on soon when we get another good long dry spell (next year then...), and I've resited the CD changer into a cubbyhole in the boot. And how much mud was under those wheelarches Sulli?? And don't get me started about the fircones and pine needles
    And I must have cleaned those damn BBS's four times...
    The engine 'rattle' at certain revs isn't the PAS pump wobbling (got a 20k-mile Evo pump on ebay for under £30, which LOOKS like it'll fit for when it does pack up), most likely it's an idler pulley bearing, either inside (eeeek) or outside the camcover. And have you ever tried to get the plastic cambelt covers off - I know where the 5 hours labour on a belt change goes
    Rattle not getting any worse, but it'll be looked at when it's serviced - booked in for a fluids change and general checkup - tried to get an Evo courtesy car, but a Kia is more likely
    And the best bits so far?
    ...Not seen another one, seen a dark-coloured saloon VR4 round south manchester recently though - anybody here?
    ...The Audi TT near Wilmslow. So upset at the stop-light total and utter humiliation, he overtook on a blind bend at probably 30 over the 50 limit. Nice one, Mr Estate Agent
    ...The Galant driver caught getting nose prints on my drivers window while parked up.
    ...Finding a whole article on VR4s and this club in a Jap car mag this week.
    ...The stares I get from the Max'd Saxo drivers.
    ...The petrol consumption.
    Ok, I lied about the last one
    Good fun these, aren't they

Name
    Heath
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Supra TT/Panzer

Ha - glad you are enjoying the VR4 experience - it just seems to get better and better

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by andy43
    ...Not seen another one, seen a dark-coloured saloon VR4 round south manchester recently though - anybody here?
    Might be me? I live there, i spend most of my time at the bottom of Altrincham Road, and play on the triple roundabouts that are located at the end of the M56 towards M60, thats my wee test area - but you can't really miss my car, its got clubvr4.co.uk plastered up the side, and its also debadged at the back...
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by HJM
    Ha - glad you are enjoying the VR4 experience - it just seems to get better and better
    No! it doesn't seem to at all!! It really DOES get better and better!

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6-24

where have you taken your car for the service if you dont mind me asking?
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant V6-24
    Alpine Head unit and 6 disc cd changer
    K&N Filter
    Witter Towbar
    Monster Icarplay Ipod Transmitter
    Everything else is as it came out of the factory!
    (except the torque converter and shaft )
    Inforad gps "risk" detector

Name
    andy
    Last Online
    07-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Ralliart V

That's what we like to hear!
    Don't think the VR4 I've seen was signwritten - how big are your club VR4 stickers?! Glad to know it's not just me round here anyway - looks like there's quite a bit of local knowledge
    I've also started a thread on the very useful members area re servicing - it's going to gallaghers of ashley, but it looks like that may be A Very Bad Idea.
    We shall see - they seemed knowledgeable enough on the service desk, I chatted to a ralliart mechanic who seemed ok, but to be honest I really just want someone to change the fluids and check out this engine rattle ASAP, and Prosport (Stockport - they do scoobies/evos) are still not back in their premises after a fire - if they were, it'd go there, as they've always been good with my old Subaru forester and the wifes Smart, they're Subaru approved - like a main dealer but only on the servicing side. Full rolling road set-up and loads of rallying experience as well, well-known on scoobynet.
    Horners on bury new road have been recommended, so they might be worth a go as well.
    The lancer forum has done a survey of dealers countrywide, but none in the NW seem to rate very highly - Gallaghers are rated kind of middle of the road, but not brilliant - I'll let you know!!

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Don't think the VR4 I've seen was signwritten - how big are your club VR4 stickers?! Glad to know it's not just me round here anyway
    Looks a little like this

Name
    andy
    Last Online
    07-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Ralliart V

They're BIG stickers - I think I would have spotted them!
    Hope you get paid for the advertising.
    Seen the saloon, looked same colour as yours, round Didsbury.
    Almost certain it was a VR4 - bodykit etc looked right, could be a sport or v6 though - I'm still learning
    Ta for the comments about gallaghers - I'll be keeping a close eye on them while the car is in - I've sprung surprise visits on garages before - it works!

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hope you get paid for the advertising.

Name
    andy
    Last Online
    07-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Ralliart V

Just clicked on your profile... it all becomes clear
    The 'local VR4 knowledge' estimate has just shot up.
    Nice place you got here

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Just clicked on your profile... it all becomes clear
    The 'local VR4 knowledge' estimate has just shot up.
    Nice place you got here
    I wasn't gonna say -

Thanks, and I hope you find it as life changing as alot of us already have!

Name
    Stu
    Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

Glad you're enjoying it mate ; all I can console myself with is I only just needed to fill up my car today since i bought it 500 miles ago, and thats all town driving
    You'll be driving it even faster in a month or so too - once you learn how the AYC works, and practice it, it really is amazing how it grips.
    Mud????? I jetwash(ed) those arches every week - methinks you've been rallying, cheeky boy
    Can't agree with your replacement of the Cat and keeping the baffle in - you're stifling probably 20-30bhp - suppose it'll be nice when you do take them out after a while though - keep on at the wife
    keep me up to date on the car - i'd like to hear, and i'm sure it's gone to as caring a home.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Glad you're enjoying the car, Sulli's car is a very very nice example of a VR-4 wagon. I know what you mean about those wheels, those are difficult to clean. I've got a set of Evo 7 mags that are yet to be fitted, I spent 2 hours cleaning them, and that was with them off the car! They are a similar style to your mags.

With my new exhaust setup I find it is quite loud below 2200rpm and above 3000rpm, but fairly quiet when I'm cruising between those speeds. Do you find a similar thing?

The VR4 article was done through this website of course, have a look around for the Jtuner mag threads on here, you'll find the threads most interesting.

Name
    andy
    Last Online
    07-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Ralliart V

Cheers Sulli, will keep you updated - it's been well-looked after, and I'd like to continue the tlc (but there was mud under those wheelarch lips honest ).
    Power-wise, it's got loads, when you get a new car, you always think it's awesome, then the weeks tick by, and you get used to the power, and want MORE
    .. so the restrictor might come off, but that cat is staying, just from the legal point of view - and those studs took that long to get out to swap with bolts, I really don't want to go under there again any time soon.
    The noise isn't too bad, just a bit boomy on a steady 70-80 cruise - that's where the cat helps, but I want to take the restrictor out to see if it'll throw the boominess out the back rather than amplify it... if that makes sense
    Met BrainG last night - thoroughly nice bloke - probably bored him daft with dumb questions, but I now know I NEED Recaros. NEED. WANT. HAVE TO HAVE. Leather ones please Santa.
    Oh, and the throttle cable bracket on my car is upside down - thought it was a bit of a wierd angle - useful to have another VR4 to poke about at, despite the smell of gearbox oil and the odd pool of it to slide about on Ouch.
    Think I might clean mine again tonight - those wheels are going to be the bain of my life - worth it though!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

some stone chips done (Nissan blue metallic touch-up isn't a bad match!)
    was this a halfrauds touch up kit ? if so what is the paint code please

Name
    andy
    Last Online
    07-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Ralliart V

It was indeed a Halfords jobbie - £8-99 or 9-99 I think - Nissan midnight blue pearlescent - but I've now been told chipsaway or dentmasters, can't remember which, will mix up a pot of touch up on site for a fiver Another couple of quid wasted
    Mines indigo blue - the Nissan blue is a close match, and it's very 'metallic-ey' like the Mitsu paint, but pleeeeease don't go buy it and come back and say it's nothing like
    I only had some small chips and a scuff on the spoiler to do, nothing major.
    Happy painting

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

DOH i just realised your car is sullis ex car which is the wrong shade of blue oh well not to worry

Name
    andy
    Last Online
    07-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Ralliart V

No, no, no, you're mistaken - MINE is the RIGHT shade of blue

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

No, no, no, you're mistaken - MINE is the RIGHT shade of blue
    don't start or i'll send the lads round , pezza ,dan ,he reckons his is the right colour

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

the best blue is psbarham's colour, but the best colour for the car is black.

And even if it isn't the right colour, at least it has the right engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast