Thread: i want to build a vr4 engine for the first time.....

Last Online
    03-03-2006
    Country
    New Zealand

Thumbs up i want to build a vr4 engine for the first time.....

well its interesting really, i have a project in mind that im doing major research for. Im looking to build a vr4 engine from a shoestring budget and put it in an .....*gulp*..... 86 L300 van. it will hopefully become my work vehicle for a first time self employed business. I have never built an engine before but you have to start somewhere, also because of this fact (under educated) i can't invest alot of money because its too high of a risk. Im pretty poor so if something cant be done without someone doing it for me then it gets done differently or not at all, that is why im planning everything without jumping in head first. It doesnt need quarter mile speed power just good enough to be faster than an dying L300 lol. (i really want it to be a vr4 rwd though so an L300 engine or similar is out) all the necessary upgrades (brakes, fuel pump, suspension etc) will be planned and implimented. interior and exterior cosmetics will be out of this world. everything will be made and installed by me one way or another. I just need advice to make sure its going to go according to plan.

basically what im wondering from you fine knowledgable and experienced folks is how much of a galant can be used to build a vr4 engine?

also if anyone has an experience (good or bad) with this project of something similar please let me know anything you would like to share to help me get somewhere.

if anyone knows of an resources to help this project (vr4, galant, L300 manuals/workshop/performance books ebooks or downloads) please provide me with this and ill be forever thankful.

Cheers, Thanks,
    seriouslycgi.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Which VR4? Are you talking 6A13TT? If you just want cheap easy power, go for the 4G63T.

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds like a cool plan, but i hope youv considered that the van may well be undrivable, even with fatter tyres. I would guess that you are planning to put the engine in the back closer to the rear wheels? But that means you would have to allow for suspension changes, and probably some strengthening of the rear end. all of which might cost a bit.

I remember dads old stock L300 unable to do a hill start when i was a kid, cause there just was no weight for traction.

But hey, if you can get an evo zero engine (the 6a13 is probably too expensive and complicated for your needs) and do the build yourself it should be a cool project. I'll keep my eyes out.

As for reasources, theres a heap of V6 info in the members section, but not a lot on the 7g VR4's, but there a still a few members around, but maybe look at contacting a company that deals with evo's?

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

yeah do the 4g63 mitsi van/ute, its been done here a number of times (in NZ)...

if you do the 4g63t.... try http://forums.nzmmc.co.nz/

if you really wanna do the 6a13, you'll have to be a paying member to get to the manuals etc in our members section.