Thread: 6A13 DOHC Mivec Hybrid Engine utilising 6A12 DOHC Mivec heads onto a 6A13 DOHC Turbo

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    02-03-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    600+ bhp FTO-VR

6A13 DOHC Mivec Hybrid Engine utilising 6A12 DOHC Mivec heads onto a 6A13 DOHC Turbo

Looks like RPW have done it....

Racing Performance Works -

6A12/6A12 Mivec Hybrid Engine

The plan - turn a normal every day FTO into something everyone fears - especially your wallet!!

Tech Specs

Mitsubishi 6A13 DOHC Mivec Hybrid Engine utilising 6A12 DOHC Mivec heads onto a 6A13 DOHC Turbo Engine block
    RPW / CP Custom 12.5 : 1 Forged pistons suitable for NOS
    Forged Steel 6A13 Conrods
    Engine bored, honed and acid cleaned
    RPW Ported and Polished Cylinder heads
    RPW Valve springs and Vernier Camshaft Gears
    RPW Stage 1 Improved Camshafts on high rpm lobes, custom 1/2 Grind improvement on low rpm lobes
    Doesn't look like a lot but this 4 year project is nearing completion. Soon some lucky FTO owner will be fitting this into his vehicle, and have the ultimate combination of looks, torque, power, rpm. A 2.5 Litre 8500 rpm screamer - everything a FTO owner would dream about.

This engine has had the custom pistons and rods manafactured for this specific setup. Not really a hell of a lot more to say at this moment - other than enjoy the photos below. This engine is expected to be finished by the end of September 2006 and then into a FTO vehicle. Other external mods would more than likely be

RPW Modified 3-1 Extractors, custom long tube "Race Design" to accomodate longer engine block
    RPW Modified customed aluminium billet flywheel with heavy duty cushioned multi paddle clutch
    Haltech E11 ECU to control everything
    RPW Modified intake manifold with larger 65mm throttle body
    Larger 240cc Injectors to replace the stock 6A12 165cc Injectors
    Before anyone asks - this engine is actually a combination of 3 engines - 6A12 DOHC Mivec, 6A13 SOHC, 6A13 DOHC Turbo engine. Yes we can build more of these but do not expect change out of $10,000 by the time we source all the components, custom make pistons, rods etc and don't even talk about the timing belt and tensioner setup. 1 year of hard work on that alone. But we are sure if you are keen, the results will show it.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...=144&Itemid=40
    Richard Batty
    2.5ltr V6 Turbo FTO

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

cool I'm going to send david thomas an email and ask him about making a 6A13TT Mivec as well as forged rods and pistons for my car

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

Quote Originally Posted by zentac
    Larger 240cc Injectors to replace the stock 6A12 165cc Injectors
    Huhhhh????
    Am I missing something????

Ohhh yeah, it will "scream" at 8500 RPM on boost in 2500 cc MIVEC engine... something nasty, I guess... for the last time in its life....

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

it isn't boosted it is going to be NA

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Why haven't they gone the whole way?, so why haven't they lowered the compression and used the torbos, by the looks of what they have so far they are more than 90% there?, I saw a site a while back (New Zealand I think) where they were puting the mivec heads on the 6A13, anyhoo, all good news as more and more parts become available, (at least if you are after forged pistons and rods someone has already been there, it's a lot harder starting from total scratch), whoo hoo!
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    02-03-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    600+ bhp FTO-VR

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Why haven't they gone the whole way?, so why haven't they lowered the compression and used the torbos, by the looks of what they have so far they are more than 90% there?, I saw a site a while back (New Zealand I think) where they were puting the mivec heads on the 6A13, anyhoo, all good news as more and more parts become available, (at least if you are after forged pistons and rods someone has already been there, it's a lot harder starting from total scratch), whoo hoo!

Because they have gone for the market share and the market share is FTO's not VR4's this will drop straight into an FTO no messing...

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    01-05-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    XF V8 & Shogun

Interesting stuff, nice to see some advancments in the work

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

ah!

Quote Originally Posted by zentac
    Because they have gone for the market share and the market share is FTO's not VR4's this will drop straight into an FTO no messing...
    Is that just a space issue, (they haven't involved turbos as they wouldn't go straight into an fto?). fouling on bulkhead and rad etc?

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    02-03-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    600+ bhp FTO-VR

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Is that just a space issue, (they haven't involved turbos as they wouldn't go straight into an fto?). fouling on bulkhead and rad etc?
    yip

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

So, if you've got a big VR4 engine bay, you can get one of these engines and keep the turbos on it and tweek it all together, he he he, where's that lottery ticket?.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

You would need to get lower compression pistons, about 8.5:1 rather than 12.5:1. Other than that you'd be fine though