Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

stealth SLM turbo/oilpres/temp in dash

Finally done this mod properly.

I've spraypainted the silver surroundings of the SLM's (Smoked Lens Meter) gauges for turbo, oil pressure & oil temperature black.

Cut out enough plastic from the clock-bay and fitted the gauges.

I love the look of it and the stealthyness of it (as soon as I turn the igintion off the meters go deep black, just like the other mitsu-gauges!).

Also installed the correct version of the reverse cam (I had ordered a color version with a flipped view, but they had sent me a b/w standard cam). Now all is in living color! In one of the last pictures you can see the rear-cam (and that ugly PT cruiser of my neighbour).

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

That looks great and matches well with the dash

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

That looks awesome! I'm jealous of your 260kmh dash, mine should be coming in about a weeks time.

It looks like the gauges are just sitting there, do you have any plans to mount them all solidly to something?

Ohh and btw, someone put your steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

looks good. are they easy to see? they look like htey might be quite difficult to see at a glance

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    That looks awesome! I'm jealous of your 260kmh dash, mine should be coming in about a weeks time.

It looks like the gauges are just sitting there, do you have any plans to mount them all solidly to something?

Ohh and btw, someone put your steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.
    Thanks!

The gauges are not solidly mounted as they fit so tighly it's not really recessairy. What I did do however is a strip of both-side adhesive tape so they can't roll over. Putting more effort in them is (in my opinion) a waste of time, as they don't move a millimeter even when cornering hard of going over bumpy roads.

About the steering wheel: would this be any better?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru ETA
    looks good. are they easy to see? they look like htey might be quite difficult to see at a glance
    All gauges are visible for about 80%, for me (I'm 2.01 meter in lenght) I have to lower myself a bit to see the top ranging for all of them. however, the gauges-needles are a good help there. For anyone with a more normal length I'd say they would see 90-95% of the gauges without a problem.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Smile

(I'm 2.01 meter in lenght)
    The ladies must love you
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Is that it? I thought it was the car or even maybe my great personality (cough)

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    14-01-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 legnum vr4,

I love it, looks great. I'm just trying to get the cash to do the same thing with mine. Who needs a clock (they never work any way)

I'll have to use your photos when i do mine.

The only thing i would change thou is only putting two in there, looks like they are hidin a little bit. Maybe cutting more of the dash out??
    I only speed when i overtake, so i don't spend to much time on the wrong side of the road!!!!!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by rayray24
    I love it, looks great. I'm just trying to get the cash to do the same thing with mine. Who needs a clock (they never work any way)

I'll have to use your photos when i do mine.

The only thing i would change thou is only putting two in there, looks like they are hidin a little bit. Maybe cutting more of the dash out??

Indeed two gives a perfect view (I drove a while with just two, as the turbo-gauge was faulty), but then I'd (you'd) need to place for the third gauge somewhere else. And the photo doesn't do it full justice, in real life there are all pretty good visible and to be honest I want them to have an occasional check, it's not that I'm focussing constantly on 'em, so the fact that they have a somewhat lesser visability doesn't bother me. I want and need them but I don't want to get a fast-and-furious look on my dash
    Last edited by MarkSanne; 17-07-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    14-01-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 legnum vr4,

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSanne
    Indeed two gives a perfect view (I drove a while with just two, as the turbo-gauge was faulty), but then I'd (you'd) need to place for the third gauge somewhere else. And the photo doesn't do it full justice, in real life there are all pretty good visible and to be honest I want them to have an occasional check, it's not that I'm focussing contantly on 'em, so the fact that they have a somewhat lesser visability don't bother me. I want and need them but I don't want to get a fast-and-furious look on my dash
    This is true, the only one you really need to see all the time is the boost which you have in the middle anyway.

Cool, well you done a really good job, hope mine turn out the same. also thank you for giving me something to compair to when i get around to doing mine.

By the way was it hard to do?? I'm scared i'll break something!!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Thanks Ray. No it's not hard to do at all. The top cover lifts/clicks of easily, just a bit of pressure upwards and it will pop off. You "can't" break it. The clock goes out very simple and then you have the empty space left that you need to take a few bits out of. I used a Dremel-tool (is this a known tool in the UK/NZ? or is named differently?) which does an excellent job at precision-cutting & grinding away some of the plastic. I guarantee you won't break anything, the plastic is way to flexible for that

Just use common sense and take away bit by bit using one of the gauges to trail-fit. The good thing is that you don't have to do anything with the actual original visible parts of the dash, the work is all done in the clock-bay itself.

Good luck!

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    14-01-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 legnum vr4,

Sweet thanks man. And yeah we do have that tool here.

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

thats a good idea. clock is sh!t anyway... im always on time.... not!
    VR-4