Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone got their email from the PM?

Last Online
    04-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Jag X-Type estate

Everyone got their email from the PM?

Has everyone who signed the 'Road Pricing' petition got their email reply from the PM. Am I alone in thinking, what a load of tosh and if they had their way road pricing is coming, like it or not? I want to reply to his message but have my doubts it will get through....

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Quote Originally Posted by g8legnum
    Has everyone who signed the 'Road Pricing' petition got their email reply from the PM. Am I alone in thinking, what a load of tosh and if they had their way road pricing is coming, like it or not? I want to reply to his message but have my doubts it will get through....

I got the email too mate. I agree load of tosh, I reckon its a like it or not! the email does end with and i quote "The public will, of course, have their say, as will Parliament" I think its more like the public will of course TRY to have a say!!
    Galant 2.5 V6 24v Elegance 2003

Blistein B12 Suspension Kit, Short Shifter, VR4 Front Strut Bar, Rear Spoiler, Amsoil Oil & Filter, Wind Deflectors, Sound Deadened, Stainless Steel Door Sill, Black Diamond Rear Brakes Discs & Pads, Headlight HID Kit, ICPC & ICE, Custom Centre Console - 8" Touchscreen LCD
    & DVD slot loader.

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Well, unless it has gone straight in the spam bin I havn't had anything yet....

Name
    Wouter
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    01 White Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by Polabear
    Well, unless it has gone straight in the spam bin I havn't had anything yet....
    Me neither!

How dare they leave the important people out!!
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead."

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

It was in my junk mail (where it belongs i guess)

Name
    bal
    Last Online
    02-01-2014
    Country
    Other

i got mine ... i want labour out !!
    VR4s, interesting aint they .....

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    02-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 Legn

Mine arrived at about 2am found in spam folder
    Nick

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Apparently they are sending the emails out in batchs so that they avoid crashing mail servers with the approx 1.7 million replies ...
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

Got mine......

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Not got mine yet

Last Online
    04-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Jag X-Type estate

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter
    Me neither!

How dare they leave the important people out!!
    Wouter, I agree that we are important. So guys should we form a pressure group, or is 1.8m petition respondents pressure enough?

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

I think they should go ahead with the road pricing scheme

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by gtz101
    I think they should go ahead with the road pricing scheme
    Why? Or are you flamebaiting?

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Well, it depends on which way we look at it. I myself use the road every day but only because I can't be bothered to walk for 25/30 mins to work but I don't mind either way. If we are to tackle road congestion I think it would be logical to scrap road tax and charge for road pricing. For those who don't use the car that often, might argue "why do I have to pay the same road tax compared to someone who uses their car heavily each week?". That just doesn't make any sense to some. On the other hand, those who rely on their car each day will of course argue that road pricing will be too expensive for them or for many of them. Some may argue they don't mind as long as public transport is improved.

so what do you do? Who wins and who loses?

I believe that scrapping road tax and introducing a pay as you drive scheme is a fairer system and would also cut down on road conjestion on the most busier roads.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Well, it depends on which way we look at it. I myself use the road every day but only because I can't be bothered to walk for 25/30 mins to work but I don't mind either way. If we are to tackle road congestion I think it would be logical to scrap road tax and charge for road pricing. For those who don't use the car that often, might argue "why do I have to pay the same road tax compared to someone who uses their car heavily each week?". That just doesn't make any sense to some. On the other hand, those who rely on their car each day will of course argue that road pricing will be too expensive for them or for many of them. Some may argue they don't mind as long as public transport is improved.

so what do you do? Who wins and who loses?

I believe that scrapping road tax and introducing a pay as you drive scheme is a fairer system and would also cut down on road conjestion on the most busier roads.
    There already is a pay as you drive scheme, its called fuel duty.

I would support scrapping road tax and forgetting the idea of everyone being tracked wherever they go. Put it on fuel duty.

There also needs to be transparency about where the tax goes. All tax on fuel should go back into the roads or to public transport imo.
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by AncientOfMu
    There already is a pay as you drive scheme, its called fuel duty.

I would support scrapping road tax and forgetting the idea of everyone being tracked wherever they go. Put it on fuel duty.

There also needs to be transparency about where the tax goes. All tax on fuel should go back into the roads or to public transport imo.
    True. I don't mind if they did that but looking at the current pay as you go drive scheme (fuel duty), it has so far been unable to cut down on road conjestion. The government has been increasing duty steadily over the years but it has had very little impact so maybe road pricing or larger price increases on fuel duty is worth a go. Either way, I prefer the road tax to be completely scrapped.
    Last edited by MGV6; 21-02-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Name
    Wouter
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    01 White Legnum

This is a sore point with me....

The way I look at it, we put them in power to serve us!! Not so that they can serve themselves!!

If we do not want this form of taxation then who the hell do they think they are implementing it.

If they stopped messing about sticking their noses where it does not belong and spend our money within this country, we could afford a proper road system! or better yet, force the transports to use the rail system!

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

True. I don't mind if they did that but looking at the current pay as you go drive scheme (fuel duty), it has so far been unable to cut down on road conjestion. The government has been increasing steadily over the years but it has had very little impact so maybe road pricing or larger price increases on fuel duty is worth a go. Either way, I prefer the road tax to be completely scrapped.
    My Issue with the scheme is not about the cost of it. It is the big brother aspect of it. A GPS tracing device fitted to your car by law? You get a bill at the end of the month I would guess. Who wants a Huge bill every month cause they drove at 31 in a 30 20 times in the month?

Just Waaaayyyy too big brother for me. Bad enough that when I apply for a passport later in the year I'm gonna have to have a bloody 20min interview.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    21-03-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6-24

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter
    This is a sore point with me....

The way I look at it, we put them in power to serve us!! Not so that they can serve themselves!!

That's already been proven, look at the anti-war parades after we invaded Iraq under false pretences. This government has a big hole in its finances - all these troops it is sending everywhere and all the overspend it is paying BAe to build obsolete useless pieces of hardware. and the money has got to come from somewhere.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

My feelings are that road tax is a licensing system, and should be paid at a minimum to cover costs, simply to prove that your car is allowed to be around. It is a good second check of your cars worthiness to be on the road. (A properly taxed car should have MOT and insurance, I believe?)
    Fuel duty is a fairer way of taxing per mile than road pricing. As a driver of an envioronmentally poor car, I pay extra. If you have an electric car, then you are laughing.

My issue with increasing costs to force people off the road is possibly off on a tangent, but seems to be part of what the PM wants to do. I live 18 miles from work, and I live and work in a place with a B (birmingham) post code. It takes 45-50 mins each way by car. It would take 1h45 minutes by train (without waiting time, but including walking time) and is nearly impossible by bus. So if I chose to pay more to go by train, I would lose 2 hours of my own time for the privilidge!! If there was an alternative for me, then I would use it. Sitting down and reading a book seems far preferable to driving through rush hour traffic, but not if I lose 2 hours of time at home because of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast