Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uprated brake setup - what pads?

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Question Uprated brake setup - what pads?

After collecting Ernie from Bal I realised I had forgotton to find the details of the brake upgrade that had been done . With no paperwork it is not so easy to work out what has been done and the rear pads are down to about 3-4mm.

Bal has forgotton what the details are so I'm appealing to you all to provide ideas on what has been done. They are uprated front and rear but not to Evo kit. THe fronts have grooved discs but the rears are plain. I really need to know the details of the rears ASAP as I get the feeling they aren't working fully as there's a lot of corrosion on the disc faces.

Anyone any ideas what I need to be ordering?

Thanks
    Lee

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Commonest upgrade is National discs with either EBC redstuff pads, or Ferod DS2500's. DS2500's are the best, but they're expensive. Another option (PSBarham has these and thinks they're the dog's danglies but he's a country yokel) is carbotech - made by a chap on MLR.

Redstuff pads have a red backing plate, DS2500's are black - should be able to see them through the calipers.
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

If it's the DS2500s which I know well, what car or part number should I be quoting for the upgrade?

Lee

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Fronts are Evo IV spec - not sure about the rears.

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    If it's the DS2500s which I know well, what car or part number should I be quoting for the upgrade?

Lee
    Just ask for Galant VR4 pads - the carriers/pads are the same shape as the standard ralliart VR4. There may be part numbers in the library somewhere - try a search.

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Fronts are Evo IV spec - not sure about the rears.
    He's not got EVO brakes AFIK Nick.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

No - standard front VR4 pads/discs are the same as non-brembo Evos. The Evo IV was (normally!) non-brembo. So if you ask for front brakes that fit the Evo IV they will fit the standard setup on the VR4.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    18-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    nowt

the pads the same as the evo iv is that right nick?
    does it matter pre/post face lift to the pads

ignor that to slow
    No longer a VR4 owner

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

if you want a good idea about pads , have a look on the mlr , there is numerous comparisons between pads , and what i read on there is what made me go for the carbotechs , if 1 set of carbotech xp8's will last 18 months of track abuse (including the 'ring and spa)on a 500+hp evo with no fade and still plenty of life on the pads . then i'm fairly certain they will cope with a galant

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    No - standard front VR4 pads/discs are the same as non-brembo Evos. The Evo IV was (normally!) non-brembo. So if you ask for front brakes that fit the Evo IV they will fit the standard setup on the VR4.
    Ah - comprende Sahib!

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Looking at brakes myself at the moment. Currently I've got a completely standard setup with Camskill pads up front and god knows what on the rear but they are due up for a change.

I want to get something that will be up to the occassional track day abusing including Castle Combe and the 'Ring in May. I can't afford the big brake upgrade (Brembos, APs, Rally205s) at the moment so need to go for something along the lines of EBCs, "Frodos" and the like ...

What I need is:

* Better front discs
    * Better front pads
    * New rear pads

I have been looking at EBC on Glenn's recommendation but I am still unsure of the best setup to go for. I was originally going to go for the EBC turbo grooved (and dimpled) discs up with EBC Red Stuffs up front and standard rear pads (from Camskill). But after looking at the EBC website it seems that Yellow Stuff may be better suited for the job (and there's only about a fiver difference in price). However, if you fit Yellow Stuffs up front they recommend fitting Yellow Stuffs or Red Stuffs on the rear to keep a good brake balance.

And I am also thinking about Ferodos and these Carbotech things ....

So options seem to be:

EBC turbo grooved discs (front) + Red Stuff pads (front) + Standard Pads (rear)

EBC turbo grooved discs (front) + Yellow Stuff pads (front) + Red Stuff pads (rear)

EBC turbo grooved discs (front) + Ferodo pads (front) + Standard Pads (rear)

etc etc

Can I have some experiences of all please. My main concern is brake fade on the track ... I want something that's up to the job without breaking the bank.

Thanks peeps ...
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

I've just bought Carbotech pads for my front Brembo's having read recommendations on MLR and I think from PSB on here. Havn't fitted them yet but will post up results as soon as

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

(note that I;ve got brembos). I've still got std brembo discs on the front, but have EBC turbo grooved on the back - seem fine, but only done a few thousand miles with them so far. DS2500's all round. Never tried EBC pads on the VR4. If I didn't have a spare set of DS2500's waiting in the garage, my next set of pads would be carbotechs.

One of the problems with race-spec pads on the road is they need heat in them to get them working optimally - I'm not sure how much fire yellowstuff pads need, but worth bearing in mind. DS2500's still work well even when cold.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by bernmc
    One of the problems with race-spec pads on the road is they need heat in them to get them working optimally - I'm not sure how much fire yellowstuff pads need, but worth bearing in mind. DS2500's still work well even when cold.
    Thanks Bern. I know about the issues when cold but priority no.1 for me is to try get something that will survive the upcoming track days without any fade ... didn't know that the DS2500's work well when cold though ...

Has anyone on here used EBC discs with DS2500 pads on a standard setup ?

And if I went for that setup on the front, would I be ok with standard pads / discs on the rear? EBC suggest that if you go with yellow stuffs on the front you need at least red stuffs on the rear otherwise to keep the brakes balanced ...

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Even though most of your braking will be done by the fronts, I think you'll still cook the rear pads on the track if you stick to std. And make sure you put some decent brake fluid in.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    Has anyone on here used EBC discs with DS2500 pads on a standard setup ?
    Yes. On Kierans Leggy. The brakes did fade at the end of the session, but I discovered coming off track that I had boiled the fluid! The setup worked well apart from that, but Kieran had to change them not long after he had the car. We were both a bit gutted at that because IIRC the DS2500's lasted less than 5000 miles with one track day. Maybe I was just being too aggressive with them? Or maybe Kieran drives in a way that none of us have seen!

The rears were standard.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Yellow Stuff pads were fitted to my car a couple of hundred miles before i went to the ring last Easter.. They were down to the Metal on my 18th Lap.. Approx 900miles or so

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I am now using Blue Stuffs on the front.. i have not had any fade whatsever.. They went through track day at Donnington last year to... No issues at all.... They are quite noisey though..

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by psbarham
    if you want a good idea about pads , have a look on the mlr , there is numerous comparisons between pads , and what i read on there is what made me go for the carbotechs , if 1 set of carbotech xp8's will last 18 months of track abuse (including the 'ring and spa)on a 500+hp evo with no fade and still plenty of life on the pads . then i'm fairly certain they will cope with a galant
    Whats the Part Number for these Pads for the VR4 ?

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Even though most of your braking will be done by the fronts, I think you'll still cook the rear pads on the track if you stick to std. And make sure you put some decent brake fluid in.
    Brake fluid is already sorted. I changed it to ATE Super Blue (from Amsoil) before Donington last year. Will make sure I bleed the system again when I do change the discs / pads though ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast