Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    06-08-2022
    Country
    Other

New potential VR4 owner! Some questions

Hi guys,

Thinking about buying a VR4 Legnum, it's a 1996 import and was brought into the country just over a year ago with 65000m. It's a good price £3200, 68000m and condition wise it's good...

Couple of things really -

Theres no service history with it, there what looks like a service book but I can't decipher it. There are two stickers on the engine, one says 100,000km the other 88,000km. I'm not sure but could these mean when the cambelt was changed?

Theres a strange squeak coming from the engine, it doesn't sound that tappety, could be a loose belt? Sounds like it's coming from the left hand side of the engine

It's not been undersealed, is this a problem?

Thanks for the help guys!

Matt

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom

Hi Matt. Welcome to CVR4. I'm sure that one of the guys will be able to answer your questions. In the meantime, I hope you find the club useful.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Matt and

Price is probably about right.

Service history is sort of important, if you have none then a cambelt and all fluids changed could set you back about £1K all in (cheaper if you do it yourself).

Its important to check the colour of the engine oil, transmission fluid and AYC fluid (look in the rear, drivers side, under the rear light cover for the resevoir).

There is some useful info about the AYC in the buyers guide under the resources tab - well worth a read.

Belts are all on the drivers side.

I would definately get it undersealed as the salt on our roads will eat it alive!!

Let us know where you are and someone from the club might be able to look over the car for you.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    06-08-2022
    Country
    Other

Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm pretty confident DIY carwise, how difficult is a cambelt change for a VR4?

I'm not sure about the car, the price is right but the service history is a big concern. Oil wise it looked okay, just from a quick peek in the oil filler.

Its a lot of money to spend on a potential lemon if it hasn't been well looked after!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

For a competent DIY mechanic, it would be OK, its getting at it that is a pain., lots of things to take off and access is through the wheel arch.

Have you looked in the classified section on here? There are some cars for sale which will have history and have been looked after by club members who appreciate the peculiarities of the cars.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    06-08-2022
    Country
    Other

I have had a look, it just so happened this car was only just round the corner for me, so I thought it was worth a look

It has appeared on Ebay, saw it on the Autotrader

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...9056&rd=1&rd=1

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

There are a couple of forum members who live near Manchester. If they spot the post, they may know the car.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

if you want Sales only 5/10 mins from me, i'd be happy to come along with you.
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

Hi Matt... As others have said .

If you are in any doubt it is always a good idea to have someone with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braindg
    if you want Sales only 5/10 mins from me, i'd be happy to come along with you.
    This is a fantastic offer...What Barry don't know about our cars aint worth knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by TAR

Service history is sort of important, if you have none then a cambelt and all fluids changed could set you back about £1K
    This is near to the mark if you are talking Mitsi prices....However our very own WRD Motorsport will do the job for less and using the wonder that is Amsoil in you service. We are also just down the M6 to you are Stoke on trent. Do a search and read for yourself how happy other Galant/legnum owners have been with the service they recieve.