Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

auto or manual

can any one give me the pros and cons of autos
    I wanted a manuel but the only ones for sale within reasonable distance are all autos
    I have driven a FTO thing with auto box and it was pants !
    are legnums useing the same type of box ?
    and are there any benifits with either box
    please help ,i need a bigger car and legnum is top of my list !
    ian

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

discussing which is better gets you an instant ban

The auto boxes on the vr4 are really good if looked after , i preffer a manual but thats my taste

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    01-05-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    XF V8 & Shogun

ive owned both

I reckon the auto is fine, the manual is probably a wise choice for higher power later on, but i personally wouldnt say no to another auto

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Ian, I always swore blind I wouldn't have an auto, I have always taken full advantage of the control a manual box gives and didn't want to give it up.
    Having driven the auto for 3 months now I still miss the control of the manual box but the auto is almost flawless. I drive winding b-roads and leave it D for the most part but if I feel I need that control or I know I'll be overtaking immediately after a bend, when I can see far enough ahead, then I flick it into tip mode and hold it in 2nd or 3rd until I start the manouver then flick it back once I'm happy.
    I find it shifts up a little too soon at times, which is swiftly cured by a dab of the throttle and the very quick kickdown, and would like it to know to shift down when braking hard so that it's ready for the acceleration out of a bend. You learn to use the tip mode if it's really necessary.
    I have to say I would certainly consider another auto as long as it's like this but it is nice to be able to just stop at the lights without messing around finding first etc. Stop start traffic is much more pleasant thanks to the lack of clutch.
    I really wouldn't let the box put you off and all I can recommend is you try one in earnest before deciding.

Incidentally, was it yourself that phoned me today about the car?
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    Ian, I always swore blind I wouldn't have an auto, I have always taken full advantage of the control a manual box gives and didn't want to give it up.
    Having driven the auto for 3 months now I still miss the control of the manual box but the auto is almost flawless. I drive winding b-roads and leave it D for the most part but if I feel I need that control or I know I'll be overtaking immediately after a bend, when I can see far enough ahead, then I flick it into tip mode and hold it in 2nd or 3rd until I start the manouver then flick it back once I'm happy.
    I find it shifts up a little too soon at times, which is swiftly cured by a dab of the throttle and the very quick kickdown, and would like it to know to shift down when braking hard so that it's ready for the acceleration out of a bend. You learn to use the tip mode if it's really necessary.
    I have to say I would certainly consider another auto as long as it's like this but it is nice to be able to just stop at the lights without messing around finding first etc. Stop start traffic is much more pleasant thanks to the lack of clutch.
    I really wouldn't let the box put you off and all I can recommend is you try one in earnest before deciding.

Incidentally, was it yourself that phoned me today about the car?
    plenty if info there thanx, i have had a look at yours afew times but it wasn't me on the phone today ,its a long trip to yours from mine and i'll have to bring the other half and 18month old bambino with me ! thanx ian

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I've had an auto, and while it was very good I didn't feel it suited my driving style. The only thing that would get me back into a VR-4 would be a manual. Oh and if someone else was to pay the fuel costs.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Last Online
    04-08-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

ive got the manual and for a performance car must say its a preference

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by WildCards
    I've had an auto, and while it was very good I didn't feel it suited my driving style. The only thing that would get me back into a VR-4 would be a manual. Oh and if someone else was to pay the fuel costs.
    thanx little pug GTI old skool stuff then ?My summer car is a 1985 capri (with a cossie 24v stuck in it !) Happy days
    family car now needed for family stuff !

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I've got both a manual and an auto VR-4 and the manual is defiantely better to drive hard and have fun in, but if you are a relaed driver and only hit the throttle hard once a week, then the auto is probably a better option, especially if you spend a lot of time in traffic.

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    , but if you are a relaxed driver and only hit the throttle hard once a week, then the auto is probably a better option .
    absolute borrox !
    get the auto... leave it in tip... & get used to changing quicker than a manual. short shift or red line, the auto does it better.

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM
    get the auto... leave it in tip... & get used to changing quicker than a manual. short shift or red line, the auto does it better.
    ..then get used to the power the torque converter steals, ...the lesser power on prefacelift models, ...the lack of ability to engine brake efficiently,

...and finally get used to pushing an 1800kg car around when the auto packs a sad like on my first legnum

Manuals are 200x better IMHO, i know you wont convert half of these tip addicts, but get an upgraded clutch in the Manual and you'll be away laughing

2/1/06 Rangikapiti Pa - Mangonui, Northland

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Both Derek and Mike have their points, the auto is very quick if you are pushing it, but they do die fairly regularly!

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    but they do die fairly regularly!
    absolute borrox again !
    yes... there is a manufacturing problem with the filtering system in the auto box, hence the need for torque seal replacement. but apart from that, the boxes will withstand plenty of abuse..... not that I'd ever abuse one !!
    I've run 500 bhp+, & launched at 3500rpm+ many times. My gearbox is fine. The enigine is fecked...... but the box is fine !!

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM
    I've run 500 bhp+, & launched at 3500rpm+ many times. My gearbox is fine. The enigine is fecked...... but the box is fine !!
    True that, iv seen your videos. I think the reliability problem these days though is that most of the cars around havent had their servicing schedules kept up, and the cost of replacing the 5 speed clutch (which these cars eat up BTW) is a better alternative than risking the expense of an auto rebuild (3-4 times as much for me at the time)

..Plus manual is way more fun, even if you probably do go slower, at least i dont have to have a brown paper bag over the gearstick when i show people my car

Plus the 5 speeds seem to hold their resale value longer over here too.

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

Thats my problem ! I can't find a manuel but loads of autos , i would prefer a man but strugglin to find one near me except from kiegley place and been told that a no go !

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    18-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo Wagon

Find an importer and ask then to source you a manual. I did that, took 6 months in all to get a good one but worth the wait! I have no experience of the auto but decided it had to be a manual as auto boxes can be very costly if/when they go wrong.
    Possibly the only former owner of Black Legnum VR4 with Manual shift & Moonroof who now owns a Hamilton Silver Galant.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    01-05-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    XF V8 & Shogun

Autos dont go that often.

Also, i find my manual is far too short geared and the clutch needs replaced if you go above standard power, thats an expense that cancels out the autos new seal.

Again, its preference.

I always said i was a 'manual' person and its a very nice thought to assume you have to have a manual as its more 'fun' blah blah etc etc....

This may be true for some, but not for all. I liked the tiptronic box, and the only part i find thats better on the manual is the ability to handle more power without too much worry.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

i had a auto legnum and in all honesty...it was fine until it packed at sad which was prob caused by lack of servicing in jap land...if you want an auto, get an auto...used to like the long cruisy drives in D then fliciking into tip for overtaking... got a manual now and love it...prob suits the way i drive better.

my mrs wants a legnum and will prob get her a auto just coz it would be a nicer long distance driver

Last Online
    05-08-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 galant vr4

HOW about the petrol consumption??

can you guys please differntiate those two boxes..

thanks!!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

around town the auto's use a lot more fuel. Out on the motorway though, the auto's are at 2500rpm at 110kmh, while the manuals are at about 3000rpm at 110kmh, and in my experience the manuals use more petrol on the motorway because of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast