Thread: property prices ? still a north / south divide ?

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

property prices ? still a north / south divide ?

I'm just spending the weekend at Maggies [ family wedding ] & whilst she's at the ceremony, I thought I'd take a wander around.
    I still cannot believe some of the prices down here compared with 'up north' ??

for example;
    http://212.50.188.105/cgi-win/vebra....MOORV/60907/13

on my road in Sheffield. nice innit ??

Down here... sorry but no link to the property... Is a terrace house on a main road. converted into 2 one bed flats. no parking within 1/2 mile, & the house is a complete joke !!
    The property is disgusting !! old fridges & beds dumped in the 'non existant' front garden, every window rotten to the core, roof in serious need of replacement, It looks like it's not been lived in for years? I cant begin to imagine what It's like inside !!
    & without being rude...... I can think of far better places to live than Watford !!

& the price ??

£289,950 !! WTF !!

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Yeah, it's bloody looney. South is absolutely ridiculous, but the rest of the country's not far off utter madness either. You won't believe the morgage I've just scribbled my name under in order to buy McClement Mansions - and that's in Staffs. Still wakes me up in the middle of the night.

We've been looking for over a year (I have to live within a certain distance of work for safety reasons), and just haven't been able to find anything we think is worth the money.

Still think we've paid a stupid amount for what we're getting, but what can you do...
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

We moved from a 3 bed terrace in Lincoln to the same in Stowmarket and paid an additional £35,000 for a smaller place. So much smaller we had to get rid of half the furniture and reduce the sizes where possible. We did get a downstairs loo though.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    We did get a downstairs loo though.
    one upstairs would be better surely ??

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

We need it with all the extra sh*t round here

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

I am continually amazed at the sacrifices my London friends make to afford their (nice, but not particularily special) £650k+ mid terraced houses. To the extent that they work so hard and pay such high mortgages that they can't properly enjoy all the benefits of living in London (entertainment, sports, culture, events, shopping, etc).

Kind of defeats the point of living in London - which is why I gave up my job in London and returned to the midlands.

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Agreed Steve.
    I dont see the salaries for most people being much higher than in the north. The london weighting goes nowhere near to breeching the cost of living gap !!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Peterborough is a bit of a strange 1 ?

Prices here went up and up from being able to purchase a 3 bed semi for 75k to 4-5 years later the same house costing 150k.. Now prices seemed to have stopped, with house prices further North and Suth still rising !

This house is 50yds from my front door..

http://www.fitzjohningle.co.uk/house.asp?houseid=3674

Pics don't really do it justice.. It's got a decent sized garden and garage and 2nd bedroom has been extended. Out the front is a Mahoosive playing field and all ammenities are within a minutes walk..

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Was looking at house prices in Potters Bar the other day ??

4 Bedroom Detached with Double Garage ??

£1,000,000