Thread: 2.5 V6 Tuning

Last Online
    13-01-2006
    Country
    England

2.5 V6 Tuning

Anybody done anything with the non-turbo engine, I have a '97 estate with coilovers, air filter, stainless exhaust and a uni-chip, also a big brake kit from Hi-spec. I fit nitrous at the tuning company that I work for, but wondered if any one had done all the hard work and found some miracle cam or head swap that released power from this engine. if the worst happens I will have to go down the supercharger route, but this will be really time consuming! Hello to everybody on the board.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Any cheap deals on nitrous installs available????

I own a VR4 and therefore cant be of much assistance. I do think that the mods you have done are probably at the limit of sensible money. The V6 engine is essentially the same as the twin turbo but with highter compression, the easiest thing to do would be to swap in a VR4 engine. Custom fitting a supercharger would always be a compromise unless you spend loads of wedge reducing the compression ratio etc etc. Why do you not just fit nitrous to it? As you know this is the best way to cheaply release power.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

For Nitrous see here;
    http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

Neil & Bob,
    can you give more info on your V6;
    which induction are you using?
    is it the dastek unichip you have?
    what difference did it make to the BHP output?
    have you any pics of your mods?

thanks
    ritch
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

I do not need nitrous, I have a kit coming and I will fit it myself! I will also add some very complex electronics to control it. I was thinking more in terms of getting some deals for other club members!

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

that site is for DIY kits etc and building your own custom kit etc - looks quite good to the technically challanged INSERT INTO post VALUES (like myself!)

Last Online
    13-01-2006
    Country
    England

Having fitted many different makes of nitrous kit to many cars I can say that unless you are prepared to take a great risk, do not attempt a DIY effort. By the time you have gathered all the bits together you will be most of the way to buying a kit. Some of the comercially available kits in the U.K. are more race orientated, but even these are easier to set up than a DIY job. Despite what many people may tell you all it is easy to get carried away and melt something expensive, I found this out in my early days!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

I have gone for a Zex style kit, it has a single unit with both fuel and nitrous solenoids contained in one neat unit. I am fairly confident I know what the deal is!

The skoda has a direct port nitrous system, one fuel and one nitrous jet per cylinder INSERT INTO post VALUES (8 of the buggers) 2 fuel solenoids, 2 nitrous solenoids and a lot of stainless tube!

Last Online
    13-01-2006
    Country
    England

Not questioning anybodys intelligence, just don't want to see any damaged engines out there. BDA, there is something to be said for direct port kits, although the one you describe does sound v. complicated! I know from experience that some cars suffer from poor fuel distribution when using a 'wet' system, as the manifold was never designed to carry fuel.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

Neil & Bob,

how about some more info on your car for us V6 owners?

what BHP improvements have the mods made so far?
    any pics?

ta

Last Online
    13-01-2006
    Country
    England

I have a manifold back stainless exhaust, INSERT INTO post VALUES (if you get one made be careful, quality varies!) FK air filter, this is a conical K&N element surrounded by a heat shield, with the standard cold air intake feeding the filter with air. The Uni-Chip sorts out the fuelling, and gives good gains low down and a slight improvement higher up. The car has Tein coilovers which are fantastic, and i've uprated the standard anti-roll bars. Brakes are from Hi-Spec, and will even fit under a standard 15'' wheel. When I can find the dyno sheet I will post it, but the cars top end power is limited by a venturi that supplies gas as the car is also gas converted.