Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering purchase of Legnum vr4 type s (series 2)

Last Online
    07-11-2007
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    32 gtr skyline

Considering purchase of Legnum vr4 type s (series 2)

Hey,

I'm considering a purchace of this car, as i read through this forum i can only really find good things about this car. (which is a good thing!) but i would like to know all the negatives.. please dig up the dirt for me before i lay down the money.

i'm tossing up between a Nm35 Stagea Axis, and the later model Legnum (2000ish). there is a price difference of around 10k Australian.. (given that i beleive i can import a late model Legnum for around 15k...) where as the Axis is around 25k..

i am after a wagon, 4wd, and a possible that the car will tow a gtr.. to the track a few times a year.. and the obvious snow trips...

i know the previous series two stagea can live up to the task of towing on the odd occasion but its so F%#@% ugly..

I'm looking at going Auto, leather and whatever else..

Hope you can supply me with some info here.

Thanks

Andrew

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Ultimately, the Mitsi is the more stylish and more driveable car.
    The Stagea is an excellent piece of machinery, but it doesn't seem to have th sporting credentials of the VR-4: softer ride, poorer handling etc etc.

However, if you're going to modify the car, I'd suggest the stagea might be the route to take: If you're after big power, you're going to need to spend a lot of money on a VR-4, and the route is by no means proven.

The Stagea is mechanically similar enough to the Skyline to make bigger power, bigger brakes and better handling a well documented route.
    Indeed 600bhp is comparitively easy to attain, as are the hundreds of brake kits and PowerFC ECU replacement etc etc. In fact the only weak spot is the handling.

The VR-4 has arguably the better chassis, DEFINITELY the better handling, and IMO smoother power delivery. The AYC grips beyond belief (I swear it feels grippier than my Evo sometimes) and you get a nicer interior and exterior.

The Nissan does seem to be more economical, though, but the later VR-4s (which I have not driven) are meant to be a lot better.

Er..hope some of that helps?

Basically, if you want to have a nice family car that can attain silly bhp and fast 1/4s go for the Stagea. It's the ultimate traffic light grand prix machine.
    If you want something that's pleasant to live with day to day (though with slightyly more road noise than you'd like) handles nicely driven normally or rapidly, and is plenty powerful enough to surpise the germans (M3, S4 etc) cross country then the Legnum is for you.

My experience was that the Legnum driven rapidly with Wife in the car feels like it's going quite quick, but at similar speeds the Stagea feels like you're ragging the nuts off it. By contrast, at lower speeds, the legnum starts to show it's more annoying commonalities with the Evos, whilst the Stagea becomes a normal estate car, quiet soft and relaxing.

Last Online
    07-11-2007
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    32 gtr skyline

Cheers for the info. So your saying that you cant really fault the mitsubishi?

The Legnum or stagea purchace will not get modified...much..... The Gtr steals all the money in this situation.

this is the model stagea i'm refering to. has a v6 2.5L single turbo.. leather auto and all the bells etc etc

this is the Money pit. 550hp, 6speed gearbox, roll cage and the list goes on and on. it is also the daily driver at the moment. i.e. why i want to get something a little more comfortable

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

You are asking us to dig up the dirt on a favorite cars.

I'll try

1) Turning Circle (only a problem if you need to make a lot of three-point turns that end up being four)
    2) Fuel Economy (Only a problem if you are short of cash)
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Last Online
    07-11-2007
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    32 gtr skyline

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT
    You are asking us to dig up the dirt on a favorite cars.

I'll try

1) Turning Circle (only a problem if you need to make a lot of three-point turns that end up being four)
    2) Fuel Economy (Only a problem if you are short of cash)

i know its a bit of a tough question, but i just want to know what i am in for.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

They sound like what you want. Just make sure you get a big trans cooler for when you're towing the GTR

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

Quote Originally Posted by Mashrock
    Cheers for the info. So your saying that you cant really fault the mitsubishi?

The Legnum or stagea purchace will not get modified...much..... The Gtr steals all the money in this situation.

this is the model stagea i'm refering to. has a v6 2.5L single turbo.. leather auto and all the bells etc etc

this is the Money pit. 550hp, 6speed gearbox, roll cage and the list goes on and on. it is also the daily driver at the moment. i.e. why i want to get something a little more comfortable
    dont want a holden or ford?
    VR-4

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Turning Circle hasn't been too much of a problem for me.
    Fuel consumption versus power output is staggering: bear in mind I've come out of a 400+bhp 3.0L Twin turbo, and I am gobsmacked by how much fuel the legnum gets through.
    I have every intention of slapping a wideband on it and see what the heck is going on: it must be on boost at idle with AFRs of 6:1!
    UK Fuel prices are a killer.

I chose the Legnum over the Stagea as it is less modifiable, better looking, more wife friendly and generally more driveable.
    Plus, I'm already familiar with the "mitsubishi" way of doing things from my 4G63, so stuff like claggy lifters, overassisted power-steering and AYC aren't a big mystery to me.

If you're already familiar with the Nissan RB stuff, surely the Stagea makes more sense as you're liable to have contacts, a garage full of spares and plenty of "parts compatibility", as well as being familiar with all the bits that tend to go wrong and why.

Just at thought.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I didn't think the power steering was actually that bad in my car. The steering gets quite a bit heavier with wider tyres, which I personally quite like

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

The Nissan was 'mildly' overassisted until I got some serious wheels on it, then it got a lot better.

All the sporty Mitsi's I've driven are far too assisted for spirited driving: it reduces the road feel. Have a go in a fast Honda...in fact even a not-so-fast Honda, and you'll find the steering is light, whilst being very revealing: you get a lot of sensation back through the steering wheel about how much grip each tyre has and where the wheels are being pulled.

By contrast, the Mitsubishi's seem to be very light and a touch uninvolving.
    It all feels very capable, don't get me wrong, but half the time I feel like I could take one hand off the wheel!

The Subaru Legacy I had was very involving from a driver perspective, and I'd be keen to see the Legnum behave the same way, either by fitting a valve in a one of the fluid lines, or perhaps a clutch at the pump?

Last Online
    07-11-2007
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    32 gtr skyline

Yahoo i'm getting some good discussion here! they seem like goot cars, unlike alot of the normal "mitusbishi" problem cars thay have here in Australia.

this was my main concern. Mitsubishi has had a bad run here for many years. But it appears that this car isnt so bad after all.

coming from the nissan background, VL commodore, Gti-r, Gtr, i was keen on sticking to it. but i have always had the spot for an evo and this legnum wagon is pretty damn stylish. and a lot cheeper than the stagea nm35 which i think is pretty damn nice too. so its a pretty tough decision.

fuel consumption is sounding pretty spot on with my gtr tho. haha $95 to fill up 65L and i get roughly 250-300km's

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    08-07-2019
    Country
    Australia

That's a pretty heavy tow load for a car that doesn't even come with a towbar..
    I'm sure it will do it, but the Legnum isn't really built for towing.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Dunno about that, most NZ towbars are rated at 2000kg or so, and I can't see how a 4wd powerful car isn't suited for towing!

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

willim tows his boat behind his no problem! he actually got his second legnum coz he said it was such a good tow car!

Name
    William
    Last Online
    15-01-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

That's right!

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    08-07-2019
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    Dunno about that, most NZ towbars are rated at 2000kg or so, and I can't see how a 4wd powerful car isn't suited for towing!
    In theory they should be perfectly suited for towing. Grip and power!
    It's just that so far, no-one has here in Australia has really had any experience even fitting a towpack!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

William - you live! Are you coming on Saturday night to my place?

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    08-07-2019
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Mashrock

fuel consumption is sounding pretty spot on with my gtr tho. haha $95 to fill up 65L and i get roughly 250-300km's
    Considering what the car is - I think fuel comsumption is pretty damn good! I'm averaging 11-12 ltrs/100kms at the moment. This however does include a lot of highway cruising.

Name
    William
    Last Online
    15-01-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

Hey Brad, very much alive but a little quiet! I will unfortunately not be able to make it on Saturday - it is my younster's birthday and I am taking him and some mates to Rainbow's End. Have fun anyway!

Last Online
    07-11-2007
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    32 gtr skyline

My mates are pretty good fabricators, when i was looking towards the stagea i asked him if he could make me up a decent tow system. i'm sure he will do the sae thing for the legnum,

i'm now really lookin towards one now. grade 4's from 98-00 are selling for 500000, compared to the stageas 1.2mil..

i've found a nice grade 4 with leather too. right up my alley..

does anyone have the leather? whats it like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast