Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Tim, sorry to hear of your woes, Andy has had all the info on the Legnum disks so cant understand how it messed up unless it was the manufacturing company?

Will have a chat later on today.

Mike
    Still here somewhere........

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Mike

No worries Bud. Andy text me to say the company admitted they screwed up, so will be resolved hopefully asap. I may get a chance to get the rears on before sunday if not I'll drop one in the boot so you can have a look see.

Andy has been excellent.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

Once upon a time I got a very cheap deal on brake discs that all had the groves in the ame direction so that they went forward on one side and backwards on the other. Seemed to work fine for a budget club racing car but the pirometer showed that the side that had the groves running back with the driection of rotation ran 20-30 degrees cooler than the side that ran forward. No brake supplier has ever been able to tell me why they specify some cars to have the disc grove running forward and some others running backwards. Net result is that I always run my discs in the coolest possible manner ie backwards; this also ties in with vented discs of the more expensive variety that have curved vents rather than straight; these curve back too to enable the air to be expelled as a function of the rotation, if it was the other way the air flow would be impeeded.
    Just my 2p's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Doh!! The best laid plans and all that!!

As for the grooves.... Check with the manufacturer. Some recommend to have the grooves 'following' the forward rotation, others (Like my Rossinis) specify that they should be reversed.
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Finally the correct disks have arrived and the fronts are fitted with painted calipers and redstuff pads........ 1st impressions are difficult to call as I've got my sticky caliper will update after I've got my caliper fixed. They look a 100% better than the horrible rusty hubs I had before.

Took about an hour to do both sides....

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Hey! They do look smart, no little impressions at all even with sticky calipers?

Mike

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    no little impressions at all even with sticky calipers?
    They don't shake the car like the old ones.......... the redstuff's do seem to need warming up but a bit difficult to tell ATM, by the time I get to the end of the road the sticking caliper has heated the O/S disk to very hot so I'm not using it too much. I don't want to warp these.....

Should have the caliper done on wednesday so should be able to get out and get them bedded in properly.

Hey! They do look smart
    Thanks Mike, black hammerite, used it on my RX8 and it survived 2 track days before a repaint Might do them red though......Mmmmm

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    14-06-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    130i and mx5

One thing to note....be wary of discs with slots/grooves that run right to the edges, ive been told by a few people now that any grooves or slots should not go all the way to edge as it can weaken the discs when used very hard. I used to have the EBC turbogroove discs on my Evo2 which have slots going to the edge and they eventually cracked down from the edge where the slot ended!... these were hard abused on track though and would probably be ok for road use.

Cheers
    Ian
    Evo5 RS - standard.......for now!

The Carbotech Connection

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Thanks Ian for the info. The grooves finish about 5mm from the edge so should be ok....... I will be doing the odd track day eventually .

Latest impressions........ Excellent.

The redstuff pads are crap on 1st application, don't hammer it when they're cold, but after that are awesome, some spirited driving around the local lanes the brakes were perfect, no fade whatsoever. The car stops perfectly from 70 hands off - straight line - so no caliper/balance problems now. The dust off the Red stuffs is no worse than any other performance pad I have used and better than the stock pads as you don't get chunks of material stuck to your wheel.

Just got to get round to doing the rears now. Oh and changing out the seals was easy so was renewing all the brake fluid.

All in all Impressed - Thanks Mike for the contact, I will be going there when the disks on my MX5 need swapping out.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    14-06-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    130i and mx5

Quote Originally Posted by Nice But
    Thanks Ian for the info. The grooves finish about 5mm from the edge so should be ok....... I will be doing the odd track day eventually .

Latest impressions........ Excellent.

The redstuff pads are crap on 1st application, don't hammer it when they're cold, but after that are awesome, some spirited driving around the local lanes the brakes were perfect, no fade whatsoever. The car stops perfectly from 70 hands off - straight line - so no caliper/balance problems now. The dust off the Red stuffs is no worse than any other performance pad I have used and better than the stock pads as you don't get chunks of material stuck to your wheel.

Just got to get round to doing the rears now. Oh and changing out the seals was easy so was renewing all the brake fluid.

All in all Impressed - Thanks Mike for the contact, I will be going there when the disks on my MX5 need swapping out.

Ahh good stuff they should be fine then

If you think Redstuff is good then as they say..."you aint seen nothing yet" XP8 works better from cold, better when hot and last a lot longer ....still if your happy with what you have thats the main thing, but if you ever feel the need for more give us a call

Cheers
    Ian

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by thetyrant
    Ahh good stuff they should be fine then

If you think Redstuff is good then as they say..."you aint seen nothing yet" XP8 works better from cold, better when hot and last a lot longer ....still if your happy with what you have thats the main thing, but if you ever feel the need for more give us a call

Cheers
    Ian
    you can spot carbotech users by the reversed imprint of TRIPLEX on their foreheads trust me tim, the carbotechs when hot acctually hurt when you brake hard, i thought ian was just doing his salesman bollox when i first contacted him, once i bedded them in i knew all the speil was true

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Ian

When I've worn the Red stuffs out you will be my 1st point of contact........ Mmmmm Triplex tatoo...... sounds interesting.

Thanks

Guys.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234