Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    13-08-2014
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4 S X

Nice But, fair enough, thanks very much for being the guinea pig in this instance. I've heard these redstuff pads need some serious warming up so I'm a bit worried that my business partner will end up going into the back of someone. She has almost done it on acceleration four times now, and she just comes into the office next day and recounts the tale while my mouth is open like a guppy fish at feeding time. To be fair, a new front end would really set the hearse off.
    No more VR-4s left. It's all over.

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Quote Originally Posted by unclepete
    I've heard these redstuff pads need some serious warming up so I'm a bit worried that my business partner will end up going into the back of someone.
    I have heard varying levels of the oh Sh*t factor...... some say that they take a few good hard braking actions to warm up...... mainly on the RX8 forum I think with the weight of the Leggy they should be ok.
    Tim

New toy at www.2into.co.uk/rumrunner

MX5 05 Launch Edition 2.0 It's RED with extra tweaks
    Legnum VR4 1997 Type S 320PS 2.5 SOLD
    Mazda MX5 1990 1??PS 1.6 SOLD
    Ex Mazda RX8 2006 231PS 1.3 - Sold - and will be sadly missed

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

I've heard these redstuff pads need some serious warming up so I'm a bit worried that my business partner will end up going into the back of someone.
    is it worth the risk for the sake of a few quid? the carbotechs may be a few quid more but they still stop quickly when cold, with my kids in the car i trust them completly when cold

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

I've had redstuffs front and rear on Aridane and I would not have another set. I'm commented at length on the forums somewhere if you search; briefly my experience was that when hot they're okay and they never faded, but when cold and when pootling about town they were absolutely hopeless - very 'numb' feeling through the pedal.

I am another Carbotech convert. They've impressed me so much I don't feel the need to look at what else is available next time I need new pads. Beats the socks of the Ferodo DS2500s, Black Diamond Predators and Redstuffs in my experience.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    13-08-2014
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4 S X

Cool, I'm in, best place to get them from?

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

I've got red stuff on my MX5 and off the drive I find they're a bit slow to work but after a few hundred metres they're fine, mind you I do drive it like I stole it.......

I've got them now for the Leggy so we'll see what they're like with grooved disks........ if they feel yuk I'll swap the fronts for Carbotech.

As Pete says, where from if I need them?

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

PM thetyrant on here or the mlr, he'll sort you a set out

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Cheers thanks for the info, I'll go with the red stuff as I've got them but will change if needed

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    13-08-2014
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4 S X

Hey Guinea pig, how are these new brakes?!

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

I am running EBC turbo grooved discs mated with EBC red stuff pads at the front and standard Mitsi discs with Camskill patent pads on the back along with the ATE Super Blue brake fluid that Don recommends. I have used this setup at the Nurburgring, at Spa and at Castle Combe. And let's just say I did not take it easy on most of those occasions. Particularly at Spa where I did about 25 laps and took Eau Rouge harder and harder each time. The brakes were always very, very good. Never a hint of brake fade. You do get this fairly loud whirring noise on track when you reach a certain brake temperature (usually after about quarter of a a lap) but after that no abnormal noises.

The setup at the front cost me £250 and the rear pads were oh about £30. They have been on the car for about 5-6000 miles now inc. the track abuse (sorry use) above and I still have 5mm friction material on the front and 8mm on the back (shows how little the rears do).

I have got no complaints about braking when cold but then I do not tend to drive the car hard until everything has properly warmed up.

Another thing to bear in mind is that some people on here have used EBC pads with non-EBC discs and that may not be the best combination. Wodjno recommended to me using the matched EBC setup on the front and he is probably the hardest driver on the road that I know of

One last point is that I have had two sets of redstuff pads and the compound did change between them as one generated lots of brake dust and the later hardly produce any. Both stopped the car well enough though ...

Just my 2 pounds worth ....
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Hey Guinea pig, how are these new brakes?!
    At the manufacturers mix up on wednesdays, they are being dispatched tonight so I should have them by this wed. Photo's forthcoming.

I may get time to do the fronts before the weekend so again photo's forthcoming and anyone coming to the midlands meet sunday can have a looksee, and at my new Zorst.....this friday.

WL - Thanks for your thoughts on the red stuffs, I'll be running these on grooved disks so will report my thoughs as we progress through the miles. As I mentioned I've got them on my MX5 and they seem good to me, if you need them in that ...Oops, to quick, moment they're there even after some spirited lane thrashing at the legal limit of course

May try them at Japfest if I can get a track slot and have fully Amsoiled the car before then........ I shall be grovelling to Nick for his help.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by Nice But
    May try them at Japfest if I can get a track slot and have fully Amsoiled the car before then........ I shall be grovelling to Nick for his help.
    There are spaces still available ... get your name down ... you know you want to!

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

I know I want to and hopefully will have the leggy Amsoiled up by then as well....... It's just.

99% will but just want to run the car without trashing anything atm, when the breaks are done so it will stop I will start progressing at a higher rate - but within the constraints of the law ociffer

Then boost controllers etc to be fitted ......... stop it!

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

The disks have arrived....... almost broke my back picking the box up jeez. First impressions are excellent very even nickel coating grooves are even depth and straight...... they are marked on the edge min thickness 30mm fronts and min thickness 18.4mm rears, so thats 4mm of wear each-or to the grooves. Is there any particular way the grooves should face? forwards or backwards...... my pea brain is saying forwards

Both

Front

Rear

Grooves

No more wobbles, might get the fronts on before the meet sunday, with my new exhaust as well.........oh I'm excited.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

i thought the disc thickness for the fronts is 24. summink mm

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Your right it is........ arse feck !!!!

Thought these looked a bit thick...... just checked Evo IV diskd are 24mm max 22mm min......... fooked if I know what these are off. Back to the phone tomorrow then..... still be on wobbly brakes for a bit longer then.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Doh!! The best laid plans and all that!!

As for the grooves.... Check with the manufacturer. Some recommend to have the grooves 'following' the forward rotation, others (Like my Rossinis) specify that they should be reversed.

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Cheers K will do, as I have to speak to them tomorrow about getting the right ones...... story of my life ATM.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

whats the shelf life of the blue stuff once its been opened, (but obviously has the top back on)
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Stock front VR-4 rotors are:

294mm, 24mm thick, minimum 22.4mm

rear are:

284mm, 20mm thick, minimum 18.4mm