Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1990 Galant GLSi, 54000 miles. Reluctant Sale.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Unhappy FS: 1990 Galant GLSi, 54000 miles. Reluctant Sale.

Gah. A VERY reluctant, but much needed sale I'm afraid peeps. As I'm sure most of you know, I've only had this car about 2 months. Unfortunately I've been made redundant and as such all non-essential spending is curtailed with immediate effect.

I'm absolutely gutted as it is very unlikely I'll find another 6G as good as this.

Anyway, let's move onto the car, shall we?

The car is a November 1990 (1st facelift) Galant GLSi. I bought it to use as a comfortable and reliable cruiser to go to work and back in. It continues to fulfil that role impeccably.

A summary then:

• First Registered 1st November, 1990.
    • HPI Clear. HPI report included in sale.
    • 2 litre GLSi, Automatic with Diamond Option Pack.
    • One (Yes, only one!!) Previous Owner.
    • Genuine 54,000 miles on the clock.
    • Full and continuous Mitsubish Main Dealer History for nearly all its life.
    • Taxed untill September 30th, 2008.
    • MOT Expires October 14th, 2008.
    • Excellent condition. Not just for it's year either. It would shame a lot of 8Gs!

Specification Highlights:

• 2 Litre, SOHC 4G63. 110bhp
    • 4 Speed Automatic (F4A22), with selectable 'Power' and 'Economy' modes and switchable overdrive function.
    • Diamond option pack, comprising:
    • Anti-Lock Brakes
    • Electric Windows all round
    • Electric Tilt/side Sunroof
    • Cruise Control
    • Electric, Heated Mirrors
    • Headlamp Washers
    • Central Locking
    • Velour Interior
    • Original 4 speaker Philips AM/FM Casette Radio
    • Mudguards
    • 60/40 Split folding rear seats
    • Remote Boot and Fuel release
    • Genuine Mitsubishi floormats in good condition
    • 5 Door hatchback
    • Big boot
    • Adjustable height and lumbar support on driver seat
    • Seeing as it's a 1990 model, there's no cat and you can run it on unleaded or 4 star/LRP
    • Paintwork and interior has been given the 'Kieran' treatment.

Service History:
    As mentioned above, the car has had one owner for most of its life and he always had it serviced at Nottingham Mitsubishi (Formerley Leadleys, now Chris Variava). The stamps show that the car was serviced every 6 months, irrespective of the fact that it's hardly been anywhere during the last 17 years. In 1999, the car went in for a service in May, and then again in October.... 400 miles later. Yes, the previous owner was as fussy as I am. He even had all the periodic bodywork inspections done to preserve the anti corrosion warranty.

The last service at Mitsubishi Nottingham was on October 21st, 2003 @ 45662 miles. I bought the car with 52023 miles. So in the last 4.5 years, it only traveled 6300 miles. Given the condition of the fluids in the car when I purchased it, I suspect it's been serviced since, however I obviously can't verify this. As a precaution I telephoned Mitsubishi Nottingham and they confirmed that they had serviced the car as the service book showed. They knew the car well (They'd taken it back in Part exchange when the original owner finally traded it in), and confirmed that at the last service, the Plugs, filters, belts, and most importantly, the cambelt and tensioners had been changed. This means that the cambelt isn't due untill October this year, so I've had no sleepless nights wondering if the engine is running on borrowed time....

Since I bought the car in April, I have changed the oil as a precaution just before the journey to Japfest (Circa 53,000 miles) and checked the other fluids and filters. The Power Steering fluid and ATF are still a rich, ruby red, the brake fluid is nice and clear and the coolant is a lovely green colour, as it should be. The exhaust developed a blow, so I have purchased a new centre section and back box at a cost of £132 - (Update 19/6 -Now Fitted).

Mechanicals:

As you'd expect with such a good history, the car is excellent condition for its age. It's the first Galant I've ever owned where I've no idea what the lash adjusters sound like. ALL the electrics work. Yes - All of them.

(UPDATE 19/06/08 - Following the information from Philip (HMG1K) I have checked the ABS system. The Lamp had been removed, however replacing it showed that the ABS system appears to be working normally.ABS - I should mention this more as a FYI than anything else. The warning lamp doesn't illuminate when the ignition is switched on. This may be a difference between the 6G and the 8G, I'm not sure. However, as Alex will attest, performing a deliberate emergency stop on a wet road makes the pedal pulse as one would expect and the car pulls up straight with no 'Starsky and Hutch' sound effects!

(UPDATE 19/06/08 - The ECU issue described below has been completely fixed by a replacement ECU, Many Thanks to MarkSanne!)The biggest niggle is that the 'Check Engine' Light is on. Having used Evoscan, the ECU thinks that the Barometric Pressure sensor is at fault, however the sensor is working. Unfortunatley it does look like the ECU will need to be replaced to correct this - Some of you have seen that I've been working on this. At the moment Marksanne is looking to see if he's got a spare ECU to send to me, however for the purposes of this advert, assume the fault is stil there. The worst case scenario is that you'll need to get the ECU refurbished - OR, you can just ignore it if you so wish as it doesn't affect the reliability of the car - There is no reluctance to start, cutting out or any of that hoo-hah. The only thing it does affect is the fuel economy. The stated figure is around 30mpg combined, however this is currently more like 25. From a full tank (£52.00) you get around 250~280 miles, depending on your journey and driving style.

The other 'Bad' points are as follows:

• The front discs have the typical judder. It's probably not worth skimming them when a new set of discs is £29.00 from ebay (Iezura Parts).
    • The front offside caliper is a little sticky at times. As most of you know, this blights the 8Gs too. I haven't inspected the caliper closely, however I would be surprised if it was anything more than that the brake pins need freeing off and re-greasing.
    • Being *really* fussy now, I reckon the shift quality of the autobox would be improved with Amsoil. It doesn't slip, judder, bang or anything like that, but it does feel like my old 8G GLS did when I first got that... The shifts are okay, but you feel them - it doesn't sluuuuuuuuur between shifts. But then again I'm being a bit nit picky I suppose.
    • Oh, and some twit (ahem!) broke the lever that resets the trip counter! I still have the broken bit, and you can still use it to reset the 'A' trip meter. It doesn't affect the function of either the trip meter or the odometer.

Bodywork/trim:

It's very good for the year. Very good indeed. Okay... First port of call on a car this old is rust. Well, there's not much... Mainly because the first owner had additional undersealing carried out. the bloody stuff is everywhere, door bottoms, B pillars, behind the bumpers, engine bay. It's certainly done a good job.

The worst area is the bottom of the valence on the front bumper - As pictured.

Given that most of the rust is behind the plastic chin lip, you make good the area DIY and the chin lip would hide any less than perfect paint technique...

The sills are excellent, even on the leading/trailing edges of the wheel arches, as pictured:

The only negative on the sills is that on the passenger side it's been jacked on the sill jacking point by a trolley jack at some point in the past and as such it's dented it in.

The alloys are all original, the spare is a full size wheel. The alloys show no kerbing marks, however the previous owner wasn't so dilligent in cleaning them and the paint is peeling in some areas, as pictured. This shot is representative of the rest of the wheels:

The 6G has plastic trim on the bottom half of the doors and on the bumpers. These have picked up a couple of marks, as pictured:

Other than that.... Well, I'll let these pictures do the talking. They were taken this weekend (June 15th, 2008). Click the piccies to enlarge:

Summary & Price:

From my perspective, this is a most regrettable sale of a car that I've been getting increasingly fond of since I bought it. There are some things to attend to, but basically the car is ready to go, and you need not worry about tax, MOT or servicing untill October. The car's low value means insurance is very reasonable too. If you want a car to pootle to the shops/work in, and is in a condition that belies it's age, here you go.

The car will be at Japshow next weekend, should you wish to view it.

So the price?

I will accept £500 ovno.

The price basically covers the cost of my purchasing the car, sorting out the initial running problem (Replacing the capacitors on the ECU), purchasing a spare MAF for diagnosing the sensor fault as discussed above (this will be included in the sale) and most of the exhaust cost. It doesn't cover the tax I've put on the vehicle. Unfortunately, it's a sale of requirement, not profit!

PM me if you are seriously interested in purchasing the car. Please do not PM me offering banger money as you will be rejected with no discussion.

If you have any burning questions that are not answered here, Post them rather than PMing them, so that others can see the answers.
    Last edited by Kieran; 19-06-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

As per PM ......... put me down as first interested party please Kieran.
    RIP: Richard (Physician)

Bog standard silver VR4 except a decat pipe and quad exhaust outlets.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Physician
    As per PM ......... put me down as first interested party please Kieran.
    Thanks for the interest Rich. If your buyer changes their mind, you know where I am!

Car is still for sale peeps! Tell your friends!

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Kieran... really sorry to hear your news with work... and such a shame to sell this dear car... It's easily worth £500 - AT LEAST in this fab condition...!

Just to add a few bits - having owned one of these exact cars for 17 years:

ABS light - it should come on and then go out (like the engine check light) - if it comes on during driving then ABS is faulty. My light came on around 11 years into ownership and because it was costly to investigate by the dealer, and they couldnt suss it, I solved the problem by having no ABS and taking the light bulb for it out of the dash. That way it passed the MOT, otherwise it would have failed with the light on!

The side plastic cladding on the doors - really easy to touch up - or polish out any marks on this...

Rust spots on the front valance - always happened to these cars as it's stupidly a metal valance with a plastic top bumper and plastic bottom valance. The condition it is in now is as bad as it gets. A good polish makes it look miles better than just a wash around that area.

The little plastic nob to change the A and B trips - I broke mine off once (it scews on (!) - costs a couple of pounds from the dealer.

Good luck on the sale, K - such a great car!!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Right, following on from Philip's reply (thankyou!), I've just been out to check the ABS light. The bulb was missing..... However, I borrowed one of the other bulbs to test it and everything seems fine. The ABS warning lamp comes on and then goes off as soon as you start the car. I took it for a drive and up to the legal speed limit, it stayed off too.

One other thing I did notice (I didn't realise the car was fitted with this! RTFM Kieran!! ) Is that there's also a low fluid level warning lamp for the headlamp washer tank. This also has had its bulb removed and this does seem to be because there's a problem. The tank is full and the washers work fine, however I think the sensor's shot as the warning lamp doesn't go out.

Just to recap:

ABS system seems to be working fine and the warning lamp behaves as it should.

The headlamp washers are also fully functional, but the low fluid warning's on the blink.

I will try and get hold of a couple of spare bulbs so that both warning lamps work when the car is sold.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    One other thing I did notice (I didn't realise the car was fitted with this! RTFM Kieran!! ) Is that there's also a low fluid level warning lamp for the headlamp washer tank. This also has had its bulb removed and this does seem to be because there's a problem. The tank is full and the washers work fine, however I think the sensor's shot as the warning lamp doesn't go out.
    Just to belt and brace, Kieran, you are filling the headlamp washer tank, at the front of the car..? You proberbly know it's separate to the front and rear windscreen tanks. Sounds like it could be just a dirty plastic water tank.

Great going sorting out the ABS !!!!

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

Gutted for you K.... I know the feeling only too well.

Good luck with the sale and finding a new job though Hun.

Big from us all xxxx

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    Just to belt and brace, Kieran, you are filling the headlamp washer tank, at the front of the car..? You proberbly know it's separate to the front and rear windscreen tanks. Sounds like it could be just a dirty plastic water tank.
    Yep - Three separate washer tanks on this car! Two at the front and one at the rear.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Lillywotsername
    Gutted for you K.... I know the feeling only too well.

Good luck with the sale and finding a new job though Hun.

Big from us all xxxx
    yep i 2nd that. but without the hun bit
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quick bump with an update for you:

The new exhaust arrived this morning, so that will be fitted later this week.

Also Marksanne has found his spare ECU and is sending it to me. Hopefully this will clear the CEL fault and if it does I shall owe Mark a beer or two!!

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

K, i might be giving you a PM later about it.... Il explain later

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Gowf
    K, i might be giving you a PM later about it.... Il explain later
    Okay Gowf, standing by...

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

PM sent

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Update

Quick update for you:

The car is still for sale. I do have an interested party who has first refusal, however feel free to contact me if you're interested and I can put you next in the queue.

More importantly, the ECU Issue is now resolved. Marksanne very kindly sent me a replacement ECU from his old Galant. I fitted it this morning and it works perfectly.... In fact I am surprised at the difference it makes - Everything feels so much smoother, and it wasn't bad before!

The biggest difference is that the gearchanges are now greatly improved - The ECU can now 'back off' the engine by the exact amount needed when changing gear, so the gears now sluuur into position as they should, rather than having a slight 'shunt' to them.

The 'Old' ECU will be included with the car as it will still run the engine if you get stuck, and I'll also include the spare capacitors that I have here. The new ECU is fine and is only 7 years old according to MarkSanne, however the caps are the originals so you might wish to replace them anyway as a precaution seeing as it's a known trouble spot with them. I leave this up to the buyer.

So to recap:

The ECU is now fully operational.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

K, you have PM.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Sold....

Thanks to all parties for their interest.

And for those who are interested, the good news is that car remains within the Club - And the new owner is one of the most enthusiastic people I know!

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

well done but kinda sad news that you had to sell but hohum

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Who bought it then?
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

I did! And i have to say its an absolute minter!

Drove it back from Kierancorp towers last night all the way to surrey and it didnt miss a beat. It even had to perform a rescue mission on my wifes subaru at 3am this morning, and it just laughed and went 'no problem!'

Thanks very much Kieran- great car.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Gls Powah!!!!