Thread: Is your outside temperature accurate ???

Last Online
    15-07-2004
    Country
    Singapore
    Car
    Galant VR4

Is your outside temperature accurate ???

I am asking this question as whenever I press the outside temperature and it always give an incorrect figure !
    For example..if the outside temperature is actually 30 degree Celcius..the screen will display anything from 35 to 39 degree celcius !!!
    Whenever I bring up this issue with MMC when I service my car, they will say becoz this is a turbo car and the temperature is very hot due to Singapore's weather..that's why the reading is OFF the mark !
    If that's the case..I think they should not have fitted this outside temperature thingy as it is so accurate for Singapore cars !
    But when I tried using the same feature on a Porsche 996 Turbo...there's no such problem !
    So what's going on MMC ???

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    02-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 Legn

Depending on where you car is located ie. in the shade in the sun
    You are always going to get a false reading until you are actually driving the car
    I will get a better reading once the car has actually cooled down whilst driving
    The gauge is picking up the heat from the car bodywork

I have checked mine in the summer as soon as i get in it and it has hit 36-39
    Drive for about 5 minutes and its down to 30 or approx what the weather forecast has stated
    Nick

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by vr4ever
    I am asking this question as whenever I press the outside temperature and it always give an incorrect figure !
    For example..if the outside temperature is actually 30 degree Celcius..the screen will display anything from 35 to 39 degree celcius !!!
    Whenever I bring up this issue with MMC when I service my car, they will say becoz this is a turbo car and the temperature is very hot due to Singapore's weather..that's why the reading is OFF the mark !
    If that's the case..I think they should not have fitted this outside temperature thingy as it is so accurate for Singapore cars !
    But when I tried using the same feature on a Porsche 996 Turbo...there's no such problem !
    So what's going on MMC ???
    Define accurate? I am sure it is 100% accurate for the location that it is measuring!!!

Last Online
    15-07-2004
    Country
    Singapore
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick VR4
    Depending on where you car is located ie. in the shade in the sun
    You are always going to get a false reading until you are actually driving the car
    I will get a better reading once the car has actually cooled down whilst driving
    The gauge is picking up the heat from the car bodywork

I have checked mine in the summer as soon as i get in it and it has hit 36-39
    Drive for about 5 minutes and its down to 30 or approx what the weather forecast has stated

Well I would have driven the car for more than 10 minutes then use the outside temperature button..but most times get temperature way off the mark !
    Could there be anything wrong or is there a part that's the culprit with the inaccurate reading ?
    But from what I know..most VR4's in Singapore also have this problem !
    So can anyone help on this outside temperature issue ???
    Thanks

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Mine seems accurate.

Best time to test is during the night as you won't have sunlight to alter the surroundings.

I've tested the outside temperature against my inlet temperature sensor which tells me how much hot air my HKS induction kit is sucking in, when the car is left unstarted, there is no difference in temperature between them apart from the inlet sensor having more detail, whereas the climate control will round up the temperature figure.

The inlet temperature gauge can also test the temperature inside the car aswell, and that is very accurate to the climate control too.

Last Online
    15-07-2004
    Country
    Singapore
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Brind
    Mine seems accurate.

Best time to test is during the night as you won't have sunlight to alter the surroundings.

I've tested the outside temperature against my inlet temperature sensor which tells me how much hot air my HKS induction kit is sucking in, when the car is left unstarted, there is no difference in temperature between them apart from the inlet sensor having more detail, whereas the climate control will round up the temperature figure.

The inlet temperature gauge can also test the temperature inside the car aswell, and that is very accurate to the climate control too.
    Hmm...I agree with you, as our weather of around 32 C is kind of playing tricks on the sensors etc.. and sometimes I get readings of 39 C which is shocking IMHO... till I was told it's "normal" by MMC technicians over here.. and the reason for the crazy reading being due to the hot and humid climate !