Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

i was just about to say a USA galant when i saw the Hyundai
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

US 8gs never had a 6A engine... just the 4G64 and 6G72.

Hyundai did get a lot from mitsubishi in their earlier days. However, I've been looking into this (can't sleep...), and I don't think the hyundai engines are related.

The Hyundai V6s all seem to use a 3-in stroke, and displacement changes are done through altering the bore. In the 6A1 series, both the bore and stroke changed with capacity, with a big jump in stroke from 69mm to 80.8mm between the 2.0 and 2.5, which leapfrogs the hyundai 75/76mm.

I suspect rather that there are only so many ways to build a transverse V6, and some will end up looking pretty similar.
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

i thought the intake plenum (if thats the correct description) looked the same. I know the 4G6X engines have been used or patterned by other eastern companies and wondered if they did the same with the v6?

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Proton certainly used the 6A12 in the Perdana V6 (which was just a 7G galant anyway). However, I think the mitsubishi V6s are much less widespread than the 4G6 (which is in bloody everything! Brilliance BS6, Hyundais, Protons, etc) and 4G3 series.

I agree that the intake manifold is extremely similar looking. It is possible that the engine was based on the 6A1 but developed differently.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    10-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

The Sonata (name may be wrong but the large 8G Galant-sized 4-door saloon or around the 2000 - 2002) was based on the 8G Galant.

Read it in Honest John's column in the Telegraph a few years ago

My Mitsubishis: 1980 Sigma 2.0 GLX | 1990 Galant 2.0 GLSi | 2003 Galant 2.5 V6-24V Elegance

Visit my photo gallery >> click on 'VISIT' to the right of 'MY GARAGE' under my avatar - thank you for viewing!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    The Sonata (name may be wrong but the large 8G Galant-sized 4-door saloon or around the 2000 - 2002) was based on the 8G Galant.
    Was it?! Blimey, didn't realise Mitsubishi had farmed out the 8G platform. That does surprise me, especially since up untill very recently the 8G galant was still available in the Japanese Market (albeit a one model runout).

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

I'm unconvinced by that...

For starters, the sonata has double-wishbone front suspension, vs the macpherson struts of the Galant.

I suspect probably an early version from the 80s was based on the galant of the time, but not on the 8g.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    10-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by I-S
    I'm unconvinced by that...

For starters, the sonata has double-wishbone front suspension, vs the macpherson struts of the Galant.

I suspect probably an early version from the 80s was based on the galant of the time, but not on the 8g.
    According to Honest John it was the 8G as, like Kieran, I was "wow'd" by that too! This artical was around 2003 and someone who was looking at a Galant used at the time.

Body style - if you look at that Sonata from profile view and rear end, you can see the likeness. It's not a straight-early-Proton type 'copy' car based on the late 90s Colts, but you can certainly see the likeness.

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

The proton satria wasn't the only rebuilt mitsubishi they did... The Wira/Persona was an old Lancer, the Perdana was old galants.

Hyundai's relationship with mitsubishi was not so close as proton's was. Engines and gearboxes were certainly shared - the sonata's 4-cylinder engines were mitsubishi Sirius certainly to 2005, and may even still be developments of.

However, the sonata has different front suspension configuration and a longer wheelbase (2700mm vs 2635mm). It's wider, longer, taller and 300kg heavier. I've searched for the honest john article and couldn't find anything, so I'm still not convinced that the sonata and the galant are related in this regard.