Last Online
    23-01-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    GTti & GTxx

Potential Galant / Legnum VR4 owner

Hello,

I'm new to these forums, so a little bit about me: I'm 23, own a GTti and GTxx (Daihatsu), also used to own a Starlet GT and am a Moderator over at www.toyotagtturbo.com.

I require a real mans car now.

I've recently been looking for a car capable of towing my race car (GTti) and trailer, but also something thats a little different and can be enjoyed. The Galant / Legnum VR4 estate models catch my eye, they seem to offer a whole lot of car for the money you pay.

1) What is the difference between models 1996 - 2002? (Box changes)
    2) I see some for £2700 and others up to £3900 a similar specification - why?
    3) What reliability issues / prone failures are common?
    4) How difficult is the auto / triptronic to maintain? Should I wait and find a manual? (I've never owned an auto before).
    5) Parts - being a less common car I assume these can be expensive?

Anything else?

I thought insurance may be an issue at 23, but I've been quoted £620 comprehensive with my girlfriend on the policy. (Her being in the police force bought it down by £260!)

Thanks in advance.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to CVR4.

In order:

Over the years, not a great deal changed. Essentially the car remained much the same over its lifespan, though there was a facelift in 1998. The facelift updated the looks in the main, though there were also a few detail changes to the interior and model lineup. Performance wise, the only difference is that the Tiptronic cars were raised from 260ps to 280ps - However, in the real world (and at santa pod) there's nothing between them performance wise - Though people say the facelift cars have a 'crisper' feel from better fuel mapping.

See this link for more info on the various models:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27013

2. It depends on the car I guess - Can you give us some examples?

3. The Tiptronic gearbox is know for the torque converter seal leaking. The part is buttons but you have to remove the gearbox to change it. In general the cars are robust provided you maintain them correctly. Alternators on the cold-area cars tend to go pop at about 10 years old and they can be a pain to change, but not too bad.

4. The tip is actually very good and has converted a number of 'Diehard' manual lovers. Maintenance wise, make sure the correct fluid is in the box (A lot of people chuck in Dexron fluid - Bad news) and if you want to track it, consider an additional ATF cooler - But generally, provided you don't abuse them, and ensure the ATF remains in good condition, they are surprisingly vice-free.

5. Aftermarket support is pretty good. Several Ebay sellers, www.camskill.co.uk and there's usually a few being broken on here. Some parts will sting you, but generally provided you choose wisely you'll find you don't need spares that often.

Anything else?

Well, search the forums - There's LOTS of info, use the seach box at the top and have a look around. Also check the 'For Sale' forum - there are bargains to be had!

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

hi and welcome!

to answer your questions ;
    1. http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=BuyersGuide
    http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=Specifications
    http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=Galant_History

2. the higher priced ones ar either traders or unrealistic! or just folk looking to get what they feel the car is truely worth to them.

3. lack of maintenance causes issues. well maintained cars tend to be mostly trouble free.

4. auto is good, service with amsoil. try one - you will be surprised

5. camskill and some of the traders who advertise on here. no real issues with parts at all!

hope this helps!
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

In percentage terms, the price differences are big.

In monetary terms, it's not a lot. A full set of tyres and a major (cambelt) service will cost you the difference between a cheap and an expensive one. So other condition taken into account could mean much more of a price difference is actually justifiable.

Any way round, welcome to the club - enjoy your hunt and feel free to ask tricky questions!

Last Online
    23-01-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    GTti & GTxx

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have been reading through the forums over the last few days and now working through the info you've linked to.

Am I right in stating only the post 1998 Type-S VR4's have AYC then? Also is this the same auto box as used in the FTO?

I'm familiar with Camskill, they're the only place who do parts for my other two cars! It's a great service they provide.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by GTti
    Am I right in stating only the post 1998 Type-S VR4's have AYC then? Also is this the same auto box as used in the FTO?
    Oooh, you've read that info a little too well and spotted an omission! I'd better go edit that thread!!

To clarify - The only cars without AYC are the Facelift Type-V cars. All other VR-4s have AYC, and there's no variation in that. ALL prefacelifts have AYC.

The Autobox is not quite the same. Its model code is W5A51 and the only other Mitsubishi it was used in was the EVO VII GTA as far as we know. Having said that, it is an INVECS-II box like the FTO unit and internally I'd imagine it would be similar. The differences probably center around the fact that the VR-4 unit is coupled to a 4WD system and also I imagine it is uprated to cope with the torque that the VR-4 churns out.

Name
    Steven
    Last Online
    01-02-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 Legnum VR-4

Kieran, my 1999 facelift Type-S has no AYC and I don't think it has ever had one fitted.
    Your info might be true for all cars sold in England as new. Mine however originally came from Japan. I think mine is manufactured in Sep 1999 but have to check.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by GT40-Steven
    Kieran, my 1999 facelift Type-S has no AYC and I don't think it has ever had one fitted.
    Your info might be true for all cars sold in England as new. Mine however originally came from Japan. I think mine is manufactured in Sep 1999 but have to check.
    If your car doesn't have AYC it's not a Type-S - All Type-S cars have AYC. Our cars are Japanese Imports too

If you like I can double check - post up your model code. (This isn't your chassis number, its the model designation, it'll look like LNGF or LYGF, LYGF2 or something like that).

/EDIT: Steven, your car used to belong to Kalle, didn't it? If so, it's a Type-V:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicga...p?do=view&g=87
    Last edited by Kieran; 27-12-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Name
    Steven
    Last Online
    01-02-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 Legnum VR-4

DUH thought the Type-V was pre facelift only. Forgive this noob.
    Model code is EC5W. Classification code according to MMC ASA is LYGF3. Guess that is the one your after.
    According to MMC ASA it's a:
    2500/4WD
    VR-4 Type-S (W/O ASC/TSC), VR-4V(99M-), 5AT
    Production period 1999013

Guess that's week 13 so in March 1999
    Last edited by GT40-Steven; 27-12-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

GTti - there is another thing you need to know about facelifts, they have advantages
    You can bolt the large brembo brakes from an EVO straight on and they also come with recaro seats - not all though, only about 10%

Steven - your car is a Type V. To clear this up (some of it K already said)

All prefacelift's have AYC
    All facelift manual Legnums have AYC and are Type S's
    Auto Galants and Legnums were available in both Type V and Type S.
    Manual facelift galants were only available as Type V

The differences between Type V and Type S are that Type S's have wheel arch flares, AYC, and wider 16x6.5" wheels with 225/50/16 tyres. Type V's before May 2000 have a boring ugly dash, after May 2000 they have the same high vis dash as all other VR-4's
    Last edited by bradc; 27-12-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Name
    Steven
    Last Online
    01-02-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 Legnum VR-4

OK no doubt about the fact then, it's a Type-V. Darn MMC ASA

To be honest I'm not too hostile about the old dash. It's much easier to customize compared to the high viz. I'm working on getting white faced meters on mine.
    [hi-jack mode off]

Last Online
    23-01-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    GTti & GTxx

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    GTti - there is another thing you need to know about facelifts, they have advantages
    You can bolt the large brembo brakes from an EVO straight on and they also come with recaro seats - not all though, only about 10%

I noticed that the stock caliers are a weak area, this is the same story for most japanese cars this age I guess. I've seen some VR4's with recaro seats which looked great.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by GTti
    Hello,

I'm new to these forums, so a little bit about me: I'm 23, own a GTti and GTxx (Daihatsu), also used to own a Starlet GT and am a Moderator over at www.toyotagtturbo.com.

I require a real mans car now.

I've recently been looking for a car capable of towing my race car (GTti) and trailer, but also something thats a little different and can be enjoyed. The Galant / Legnum VR4 estate models catch my eye, they seem to offer a whole lot of car for the money you pay.

1) What is the difference between models 1996 - 2002? (Box changes)
    2) I see some for £2700 and others up to £3900 a similar specification - why?
    3) What reliability issues / prone failures are common?
    4) How difficult is the auto / triptronic to maintain? Should I wait and find a manual? (I've never owned an auto before).
    5) Parts - being a less common car I assume these can be expensive?

Anything else?

I thought insurance may be an issue at 23, but I've been quoted £620 comprehensive with my girlfriend on the policy. (Her being in the police force bought it down by £260!)

Thanks in advance.
    For towing I'd definately be fitting a trans cooler if you end up with an auto.

If your budget allows I would go for a facelift (1998-2002) for a few reasons, firstly the car will obviously be newer, the brembo issue mentioned earlier, the engine has some slight tweaks apparently a slightly different cam profile.

Also if you can get a car that has had the cam belt done recently it can save you quite a bit of money.

Good luck with your search.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by dickytim
    ......the engine has some slight tweaks apparently a slightly different cam profile.....
    Where have you read that Richard?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

ASA lists all VR-4 models as having the same part number for all 4 cams

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

I could be wrong, Ron at Ralliart had mentioned it to me a couple of years ago, but to be honest he seems to be getting a little......past it.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I think the fumes have got to him