Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Newbie with newbie style Q's :)

Hiya,

First off what a nice site! really well laid out, been having a read at the buying guides etc but still wanted to ask a few questions if you can spare the time

Currently driving my beloved lil starlet which i refuse to sell but with a baby on the way we've been thinking about the idea of having 4 doors and a boot. Has to be Jap and cool so the first car that popped into my mind was the VR4 estate.
    I remember seeing one years ago when use to hang around at my mates tuning garage and i always loved them, and the fact you dont see many on the road is a nice bonus!

The car will mainly be used for the school run and to the shops etc but would also be lovely to be able to use it to go the local jap meets if need be. So my first question is what are they like fuel consumption wise driving around very mundane at 30mph or so? as monday to friday that will prob be the case!

Also been looking at a few online and seen some quite tasty ones from a guy who trades under the name of Phat N Modified, anyone got any feedback on them? I have searched using the search bar but it only brought up two threads which didnt say much either way.

Also is there any common faults too look out for? Does the transmission do the car proud? i only ask as im currently pushing the boundaries of my automatic starlet with the bhp but its abit of an unknown area of how much power/torque it can handle, is there any issues with these?

Anyway thanks for reading i shall look forward to the replies

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Welcome to the club Kelly.Just sent you a pm. Servicing them properly is the main criteria and proof that they have been looked after in the past. Driving in town will see around 20mpg but the triptronic box is ideal for that kind of driving in my opinion.

Name
    Nikola
    Last Online
    15-10-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 2.5

hello and welcome . Now to your thread glad to hear you are looking to buy a vr4, excellent cars (if looked after properly) now on the note of mpg i tend to find pottering round town i pull between 17 and 20 mpg but i do live in a town with a lot of traffic lights if you know what i mean. But on my run to work down the motorway i pull a healthy 30+ mpg depending on how heavy my foot is and how late for work i am. As for the reliabillity of the auto boxes properly maintained with an atf cooler fitted they work fine. *waits for someone to start the age old "manuals vs auto argument* hope that answer some of your questions yours tib

Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Thankyou for the speedy replies! The mpg around town is the only thing concerning me at the moment! to be honest i only get 33mpg on the motorway out my starlet so thats not too bad as drive down southampton every other month.

Will deffo make sure its a well looked after/serviced example and hopefully be lucky enough get one off a fellow member.

Nikola dont suppose there is any places in lancs which deal with a few of these cars? Or am i best browsing the classifieds on here?

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

ask away!

you will probably find that you get a much better fuel consumption when you put your foot down a bit, they tend to run very rich at low speed.

Take your time to find one, don't just stump up a wedge of cash for the first thing you see without being sure its all ok. There are a few expensive items which need to be looked after, but the cars are as reliable as any other 10+ year old car, and a fair bit more fun.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Yeh i gathered they must run quite rich as standard, i saw a more improved fuel comsumption when i fitted my piggyback ecu and leaned the fuelling off with what i could get away with. Just browsing the forum now and coming across posts which mention having piggybacks fitted and mapped.

I'm in no rush baby due in July so i shall keep browsing around! lol

Name
    Nikola
    Last Online
    15-10-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 2.5

yes is the simple answer their is a few importers in bradford but stay away from keighley autos. And newbie mistake although its says nikola as the name you'll notice it says tib at the end of the post. I share the login with the wife as i bought the car for her

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Don't expect the MPG that is posted above. You may get it, but many of us don't. I have never had 30 mpg from a VR4, although I did get close once! With an auto box I used to get 17ish round town and 22ish on the motorway. 28 was achieved once with a very gentle cruise over a long distance.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Don't expect the MPG that is posted above. You may get it, but many of us don't. I have never had 30 mpg from a VR4, although I did get close once! With an auto box I used to get 17ish round town and 22ish on the motorway. 28 was achieved once with a very gentle cruise over a long distance.
    Good old Nick "Brick Foot" Mann lol
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    04-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Welcome Kelly,

Expect to get similar to Nick's MPG readings. They are close to what I get in mine. Mine is running very rich at any speed!

I do mainly local driving, short work runs to town (2.5 miles each way), with the occasional long motorway stint. On pure local driving, I get around 20mpg, and I usually drive very sedately. Very rarely put my foot down, for more than a couple of seconds (but thats long enough to reach inappropriate speeds on most roads). On cruising motorway driving I get about 26mpg, but have managed a 29.75mpg, driving at 65-70mph for 290miles!!!

Also, the 'Phat and Modified' trader is on these forums under 'Torque of the Devil'. I dont have any experience of dealing with him, except a couple of emails, but there are a few recent purchases on these forums from him, so keep a look out for them.

And finally, awesome choice of your next potential car
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola
    yes is the simple answer their is a few importers in bradford but stay away from keighley autos. And newbie mistake although its says nikola as the name you'll notice it says tib at the end of the post. I share the login with the wife as i bought the car for her

Oh dont worry i went to Keighley autos once many years ago and walked straight out i think their rep is on every owners club forum along with WRC.
    Thanks for the heads up i wondered what tib was for at the end i thought i wasn't clued up on all my shorthand for a moment lol.

Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Thanks Nick Mann and atikali2000 for the insight in the mpg, to be honest this is what concerns me the most at buying this car. The initial idea was to buy a cheap scooby estate n/a (dont hate me) and insure that for a year and then get rid. The benefit of doing so would be alot of extra spare cash for that first year! and then after that if im still wanting a VR4 maybe sell both cars and use the cash to buy one outright! At least i'm in no rush to decide.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    10-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

How about getting the 'soft' VR4 - a V6 Sport or V6 Elegance model?

The same V6-24V engine but without the twin-turbos but the same styling if you go for a facelift model. Ok, you won't have traction control or the flared wheel arch extensions, but you'll have better fuel economy.

I'm not sure what my MPG translates to, but with my V6 I get at worse 250 miles out of a tank on short journeys, non-motorway, of around 9 miles return. At best 320 on motorway driving. I'm not a heavy footer - but to like to open the engine up if I get the chance!

My Mitsubishis: 1980 Sigma 2.0 GLX | 1990 Galant 2.0 GLSi | 2003 Galant 2.5 V6-24V Elegance

Visit my photo gallery >> click on 'VISIT' to the right of 'MY GARAGE' under my avatar - thank you for viewing!

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    04-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Yup, I was gonna suggest if the MPG is too much of a worry with the VR4, then you could always go for the 2.5 V6 Sport or Elegance. As HMG says, they are both very capable cars, look great, are cheaper to run (in comparison to the VR4) and return a better MPG. Granted, they dont have as many toys, but they are generally selling for peanuts these days, so you might pick up a real bargain if you look around.

Thought I'd add (so you can compare with HMG's readings), I usually fill up my tank just as the amber lights starts flickering on/off, and get about 45 litres in (V Power, by the way). I usually see that return 200miles before the fuel warning light comes on again, and thats mainly local driving. With motorway journeys added in there the figure usually jumps a bit but also depends on how you drive it. The best I've managed from a full tank was 293 miles, all cruising at 65-70mph on the motorway. I filled up 50 litres straight after, and the book says that the car has a 60 litre fuel tank capacity. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Atik; 13-01-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Yeh thanks for the insight really helping! I know theres lots of more sensible options out there but im just trying to decide weather should be sensible or not. I dont do much driving in my starlet which is a 30litre tank i get 200miles ish out of that and i only use a tank a week coz i always make a point of going for a lil drive when i get bored!

My other half has gone without a 'fun' car for awhile now and buying the vr4 would put him off wanting to buy an rx7 (for awhile) so im trying to think about him too lol

Oohhh decisions decisions lol

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You'll get a similar amount of miles to a tank, but it will be more like 50 litres of fuel for the same distance.

If you drive like a granny, you will get 250 miles, maybe even 300, but most of us have never done that, let alone regularly!

On track you will get more like 60 miles to a tank.....

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    10-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly
    Yeh thanks for the insight really helping! I know theres lots of more sensible options out there but im just trying to decide weather should be sensible or not. I dont do much driving in my starlet which is a 30litre tank i get 200miles ish out of that and i only use a tank a week coz i always make a point of going for a lil drive when i get bored!

My other half has gone without a 'fun' car for awhile now and buying the vr4 would put him off wanting to buy an rx7 (for awhile) so im trying to think about him too lol

Oohhh decisions decisions lol
    Here's another thing to consider - with fuel economy.

If you're currently getting around 200 miles on a 30 litre Starlet tank, a Galant / Legnum tank holds double that, 60 litres, which is great! However you won't get more than 250 miles out of a 60 litre tank in a VR4.

Have a search of these forums for fuel economy for individual driver stories on thie best and worst consumption. On my V6-24, a model below the VR4, I get at best 320 out of a 60 litre tank.

Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Nick Mann -- Yeh to be honest at the moment i fill up once a week, if i was just going about things normal and doing my daily school run and errands every now and then i could get away with a quarter of a tank maybe a lil more a week. Im guessing with a newborn etc thats all i will have the energy for anyway so the consumption may not be too bad financially.

HMG1k -- Thanks yeah im looking around and reading peoples threads, round town your lucky if you reach 30mph so i wont have any other option but to drive nice monday to friday lol every other month we do a 230 mile trip each way to southampton and back so that will be nice hopefully being able do that without needing fill up again!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Hi ! And welcome to the Club

In my past experience of the Auto VR4 i have achieved 390 miles from fill up to fill up(58.5 litres/13 gal) and as little as 45 miles(4mpg) before geting fuel starvation while driving the car hard on track

I think they are the very extremes of what the VR4 will return in MPG Although i'm still pretty sure if i had a long enough Motorway run i would be able to achieve 32-35mpg

Town driving with a light foot for a full tank, i saw around 20-22mpg..

Town driving with the odd Blat saw 17mpg.

Town driving with nearly all foot to the floor saw 9.5 mpg..

But i normally averaged around 13-14mpg round town with a good mix of spirited driving and stuck in traffic..

Hope this helps

Name
    i
    Last Online
    03-04-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    04 Avensis

for all those people who find working out MPG confusing (maybe its just me) i found this http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm hope its useful
    "Never suspect malice when stupidity will suffice"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast