Thread: "torque converter" seal repair invoice

Name
    Cory
    Last Online
    07-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

"torque converter" seal repair invoice

This is my experience with Wayne Kirk Mitsubishi in Hawk's Bay & Auto Sure - Vero Warranty

I have a full warranty policy on my gVr4.
    First NZ owner
    No excess on the policy

The diagnosis.
    Nice stains on my drive way.
    Was not too oily, and redish/pinkish in colour

At its worst point, it leaked onto the exhaust.
    Looked like smoke but I think was just steam, as the SPIII isn't an oil (correct me if I'm wrong there?)

Took it into Napier Mitsi to get checked out. Monday.
    Curtisy car offered - accepted. newish tidy manual Lancer
    At the same time, asked them to do a service.

Picked the car up later that afternoon - service done (oil and filter, basic car inspection) - quick
    Advised that the Input shaft seal is the culprit, and that they wont be able to do it until the following Monday. Busy

Cost - $175.30 - that's just for the service and check over. I don't have the invoice with me at writing this but it was apx $45 for the oil and 20ish for the filter.

During the week I visited Hastings Mitsi - same owners.
    Had a yarn as asking if they had any SP3 oil to sell as as a top up - it 'a bad leak at this stage.
    They had none left - but the manager went out the back and came back with a small oil container of it. just under 1L Perfect!!!

The following Monday - car goes in to Napier Mitsi - I was offered a curtsy cay again - but in this week I moved therefor was much closer to them so the manager drop me off.

Contacted on Tuesday and asked if I would like to have the filter that is inside the AT and the other filter that is there replaced.
    This would not be covered by the warranty, but it would be wise to do this while its all in pieces.
    This was quoted at
    JCMD758684 - Filter Oil A/T - 129.00
    JCDM752072 - Oil Filter, A/T - 39.79
    U602/5086 - D*D*CRC Braklee - 12.44
    $203.88 inc gst

I was advised that I may have to pay for the AT oil at $109.00+gst as most warranty policies do not cover oils and fluids.
    Also that the assessor would be coming to look at it aswell.
    Quick phone call to AutoSure, (after a horrid one to Vero) and i was advised that they cover all oils and fluids. as they should

Called on Wednesday afternoon and advised that my car was ready for pickup. Again quick.

I did manage to have a good look under the car while it was up on the jacks witha gaping hole and those tiny baby turbos no longer hiding away (as now see why they hide) and there was a bit of effort gone into taking it all out and putting it back - so they knew what they were doing.

anyway - to the point.

Work description.

Transmission fluid leak - Bell housing.
    Located fluid leak from transmission bell housing.
    Removed front wheels, front axle assembly, rear drive shaft, exhaust ssembly, north/south cross member & mounts.
    Removed front diff assembly, and removed transmission from vehicle. Removed torque converter, entire front housing of transmission and replaced oil pump O-ring. Cleaned housing and refitted.
    Installed new front oil pump/converter seal and renewed all front diff seals/Orings.
    Reassembled and refilled with new trans fluid.
    Road tested vehicle.
    22km were done - meh, thats only 12-15$ of gas, but they most likely do need to warm the vehicle up first. - 820.80

O*17807 - Oil Seal -19.99
    JCMD727944 - seal - 7.88
    JCMD743612 - O-ring, T/F case - 9.10
    JCMD755373 - O-ring, A/T Oil - 16.86
    JCMD755526 - Oil Seal, T/M Fr - 14.13
    JCMD758763 - Oil Seal, T/M Fr - 16.77
    JCMD983368 - O/Seal, MT/T Case - 15.38
    JCMD745423 - Oil Seal - 14.89
    JCMD736826 - Oil Seal M/T Ma - 28.55
    MMSP3 Auto Trans Oil - 108.40

$1206.85 inc GST

Car came back in good nick.
    Box of little paper towels (perfect for checking oil )
    Couple of scratches on the rear of the car and a few on the side - but I've had gripes about that every time I take my car in for something, I can be quite fussy on detail on something I like wif all my mushy insides

Over all I'm very happy with their service, from both Mitsi dealers, and the warranty.

The car feels very smooth in driving and in gear changes. It no longer has this slight whirl sound that I noticed when not driving the car.
    I don't think its improved the 1-2 tip sluggish slide as such, but it defiantly changes a better in that. quite hard to explain

Name
    Shane
    Last Online
    11-02-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 Galant VR4

How many kms has your car done?

Only other thing I would have done is got new clutch plates, but the depends on your kms, over 75k I would have.

Thats not a bad price for the work done

"The
    KOKENATOR Sent back in time to destroy all inferior tools!"

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

Had my t/c seal done in late November last yr. Armstrong Mitsi in Wellington charged me $1149. My car had done approx 104,000kms.

Name
    Cory
    Last Online
    07-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

Didn't even think of the clutch plates!! shivvvvvvv

Its done 112 thou.
    guess the clutch plates would have been a little pricey?
    Anyone have a rough price on this? even though its too late, wouldn't hurt to have that listed here.
    I was quite happy with their service, speed and the price seems pretty reasonable for the work that was carried out

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

I am interested in what Autosure policy you have, mine didn't cover fluids or oils and the min excess was $250 on it, when I originally signed up for it they said $100 but they then called me and told me there was a mistake and they never offered less than $250 excess on a twin turbo.

Anyway it is good that you got great service, I say keep going back to them to show it is appreciated

Last Online
    05-03-2009
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by dickytim
    I am interested in what Autosure policy you have, mine didn't cover fluids or oils and the min excess was $250 on it, when I originally signed up for it they said $100 but they then called me and told me there was a mistake and they never offered less than $250 excess on a twin turbo.

Anyway it is good that you got great service, I say keep going back to them to show it is appreciated
    If it was written on the documentation that it was a $100 excess, then that is what it is, if they have ever charged you $250 then you are being reamed. It is their mistake, and they have to honour it by law.

Then again, if it was a dealer that signed the warranty documentation, then it's more difficult, but still possible to fight it

(I love getting into legal tussles)

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

Hi, how much did the warranty cost and how may years was it for? Wish I had a warranty when my car blew a head gasket a while ago.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by vrfto
    If it was written on the documentation that it was a $100 excess, then that is what it is, if they have ever charged you $250 then you are being reamed. It is their mistake, and they have to honour it by law.

Then again, if it was a dealer that signed the warranty documentation, then it's more difficult, but still possible to fight it

(I love getting into legal tussles)
    I had the same arguement, and guess what....it is wrong, the document you fill out at the dealer ship is not an offer of insurance it is an application form only, and Autosure can cancel the policy at any time, so even if you could get them to agree to the smaller excess they can then just cancel the policy.

I also love a legal tussle but you have to know what your rights are to win, this one was a no win.

I also had advise from someone who deals with these companies on a daily basis and there was no case to fight.

If you can prove otherwise and I can get the extra $300 (2 claims totalling $500 excess) that I have to pay in excess back I will give you half

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

It's a good price from a dealer.

I would charge approx NZ$ 950 for the same job, and you wouldn't get a courtesy car! You would get Amsoil fully synth oils, though.

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    It's a good price from a dealer.

I would charge approx NZ$ 950 for the same job, and you wouldn't get a courtesy car! You would get Amsoil fully synth oils, though.
    How much do you think a main dealer would charge to do it in England? From what I've read though, they might use Dexron III ATF if you didn't supply the oil yourself. That's a bit of a worry!

Name
    Cory
    Last Online
    07-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

hmmm, i don't seem to have my warranty book - must still be at the dealer - ill post up on price on what i paid for it ect later.

If I was to have to pay for the oils I said to them that I would supply the oil for the transmission.

I Have the invoice from the oil change with me.

JCMD050317 - Gasket, ENG Oil - $1.74
    JCMZ690115 - Oil Filter - $18.00
    - Mitsubishi Semi-Synth - $48.44
    - Consumable & Sundry Items - $7.68
    - Enviromental oil disposal - $3.96
    $175.30 inc GST

My intentions was to run this oil for 1,00km or so - about 3 months - and then change to amsoil

Still interested in the price for the clutch plates out of interest

Name
    Cory
    Last Online
    07-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Robotnik123
    From what I've read though, they might use Dexron III ATF if you didn't supply the oil yourself. That's a bit of a worry!
    That's one reason why i dealt with a mitsi dealer - I probed them with a few questions on what they were doing/using and their invoice states MMSP3 so I'm happy

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Robotnik123
    How much do you think a main dealer would charge to do it in England? From what I've read though, they might use Dexron III ATF if you didn't supply the oil yourself. That's a bit of a worry!

I would be amazed if it was as low as your NZ price. I don't actually know, but $1200 equates to approx £450. That would probably only pay for the labour in the UK. So all parts and oils on top. I'm not up to date with Mitsubishi Dealer hourly labour rates, but I'd be amazed if they were as low as £60 an hour. I understand some dealers (I think German, I'm trying to remember who was complaining about it to me!) are up in the region of £90 an hour now. So I guess that could be $180-240 an hour for the labour alone.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    14-01-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 legnum vr4,

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    I would be amazed if it was as low as your NZ price. I don't actually know, but $1200 equates to approx £450. That would probably only pay for the labour in the UK. So all parts and oils on top. I'm not up to date with Mitsubishi Dealer hourly labour rates, but I'd be amazed if they were as low as £60 an hour. I understand some dealers (I think German, I'm trying to remember who was complaining about it to me!) are up in the region of £90 an hour now. So I guess that could be $180-240 an hour for the labour alone.
    Per hour for a mitzy dealer is NZ$87.50

As I just found out today when I had my belts done.
    I only speed when i overtake, so i don't spend to much time on the wrong side of the road!!!!!

Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    24-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ146
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 manuel vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

What did they charge you for your belts ?

I would strongly suggest not to ever use AUTOSURE! When i brought my subaru B4 and took out a 3 year warranty and decided to sell it just after 6 months i couldnt transfer the warranty for the new owner! So i lost out there and i had to buy another warranty cause it was included in the sale price of the car! ggrrrr.
    Where as for the AA they where great and when i did make a claim there where no hassels at all and cheaper by memory!

Name
    Cory
    Last Online
    07-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by karlous54
    What did they charge you for your belts ?

I would strongly suggest not to ever use AUTOSURE! When i brought my subaru B4 and took out a 3 year warranty and decided to sell it just after 6 months i couldnt transfer the warranty for the new owner! So i lost out there and i had to buy another warranty cause it was included in the sale price of the car! ggrrrr.
    Where as for the AA they where great and when i did make a claim there where no hassels at all and cheaper by memory!
    Belts weren't done - not needed

I wouldn't say to not recommend a company because you didn't read your contract correctly, sorry but that's not a reason to black list them.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by sightless
    Belts weren't done - not needed

I wouldn't say to not recommend a company because you didn't read your contract correctly, sorry but that's not a reason to black list them.
    Well said, however I would suggest trying other places as their terms are some of the harshest, also try to not get it thru the dealer as they make a dump truck full of money from selling the warranty's