Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Smile New Legnum owner and CVR4 member

Hi all.

Ive been here for a while now, mostly just for advice and some of the articles, but its just occured to me I never introduced myself.

Im Piers, im a 19 year old car/computer enthusiast from far north west england (A little town called ulverston).

About a month ago I got a Legnum VR4 I found on ebay and have since found was advertised here (and aparantly had a auto gearbox replacement that wasnt mentioned at all when I bought the car).

The previous owner was Stephenlans.

So far Im enjoying the car much

The only current changes from standard are a speed converter/delimiter and iridium plugs. Im hoping soon to decat at least and am considering saving up for a fuel/air controoler and boost controller.

I have also replaced the front speakers with an Alpine component set and the rears with an Alpine Co-Axial set, and have my old VIBE CBR2 15" Sub in the boot

I look forward to meeting some of you at the next event Im able to attend.
    Last edited by Piers1989; 03-04-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome! Our next meets are JapFest and JapShow, stick them in the search box above to get their info

Ps. How are you affording the insurance on whats effectively a group 20 car at 19 years old?
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Hey piers,

Another cumbrian VR4

How are managing to insure the beast at 19 lol, glad you like it though.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Basically I bought the car, gave it to my mum as a gift. Transfered legal ownership and made her registered keeper.

So its now her car and shes insured on it.

My insurance (on out merc people carrier - V class 2.3 litre petrol) covers me to drive another car third party with owners consent. So my mum owns it and allows me to drive with my insurance

Obviously if i crash then we get nothing for it but its legal and insured - but i dont expect to crash it (being my fault at least - These cumbrian drivers are a bit crazy ).

I dont drive like a knob and even if I am doing some "spirited" driving I wont do anything dangerous like overtaking on blind corners or going so fast ill slide on a normal public road.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDITD
    Hey piers,

Another cumbrian VR4

How are managing to insure the beast at 19 lol, glad you like it though.
    Where abouts are you from?

I of my friends told me they were overtaken by a Legnum VR4, that wasnt me, the day i got mine on the A590 Dalton bypass.

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by Piers1989

My insurance (on out merc people carrier - V class 2.3 litre petrol) covers me to drive another car third party with owners consent. So my mum owns it and allows me to drive with my insurance

I don't think you are covered if you are the main driver. I would look into this asap

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Basically I bought the car, gave it to my mum as a gift. Transfered legal ownership and made her registered keeper.

Obviously if i crash then we get nothing for it but its legal and insured - but i dont expect to crash it (being my fault at least - These cumbrian drivers are a bit crazy ).

I dont drive like a knob and even if I am doing some "spirited" driving I wont do anything dangerous like overtaking on blind corners or going so fast ill slide on a normal public road.

I would seriously check your policy on that even ring up the insurance company there is usually stipulations, infact I am sure they have got rid of that TP rule on younger driver policies, to stop this sort of thing going on

I would put money on them in the event of an accident telling you where to go, its a group 20 motor, they will usually have a stipulation in the small print which limits you, its to stop younger drivers getting hold of performance cars and binning them.

Check your policy, and I am not sure if this is classed as fronting either which is also illegal.

I dont want to put a downer on you, but you cant f*ck about with these cars and insurance, ring your insurance company ask them if it covers you any vehicle, most places will only do that over 25, please check it, there is a reason you cant get insured on it, as your own

The only reason I got insurance at 20 was due to massive stipulations
    Limited mileage
    No mods
    Garaged/private land
    Cat 1 alarm
    Good postcode

Other than that welcome

edit: Just want to add something

I always keep my car serviced regualrly as i do alot of miles (last year i did jsut over 40k ).

I have this car because i do alot of traveling with friends all over the country, especially to lans (computer gaming events) - i36 is friday - and need all the space for people + computers, and my sub and other things.

I wanted something fast that wouldnt be LOL on fuel when driven nicely, also I love having a big estate car that people automatically assume is slow

If anything suddenly brakes on the car (bar the gearbox) my parents will lend me the money to have it fixed.
    Personally, I think you have the wrong car, 40k a year in a VR4 will kill you in running costs, thats near enough a cambelt every year, about 4k in just oil changes with good fluids
    Suspension parts and cheap and will break

What you want is a V624v or GLS POWAH! I really dont want to dishearten you but last year cost me about 8k all in to run my car and that was around 10k miles done in it, we are a friendly bunch on here and I think what I am saying most will agree with, we just try to give the best advice we can

40k a year in a VR4 will not do it any justice or your pocket any good, you have said that over £150 is a lot of cash to you, please please think about this, as I dont think this is the right car for you, with that mileage and your financial status. Work on the basis if you cant afford to insure it, you cant afford to run it, please think about this
    Last edited by pitslayer; 03-04-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

No and no. I ahve checked everything maticulously. I even checked with a police patrol.

I am covered as I am the policy holder and owner of our merc people carrier and I play extra to get the driving extension cover.

I have made sure its all legal and safe and have been told Im covered by insurers and police.

If anyones interested Im insured by Bell. If u get a 10 month bonus accelerator policy on "flexibell" u can choose what to add on and u can pay a surcharge to get the thrid party extensions and it DOES cover me even with my age. This is the reason we went with bell for the insurance, as its usefull for me to be able to drive my nan aroudn in her car and drive my parents cars.

Also we do live on private land. The car currently has no mods, and we live in the middle of nowhere.

I dont always drive the Leggie its not my main car as I often take people around alot and need the 7 seats in our people carrier.

My mum does drive it too.

(also checked fronting - it applied to a young person owning a car and isnuring there parent as main driver and them being a named drive even tho they are the main driver.)
    Last edited by Piers1989; 03-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Where abouts are you from?

I of my friends told me they were overtaken by a Legnum VR4, that wasnt me, the day i got mine on the A590 Dalton bypass.

Hmm im from carlisle but i do venture around a fair bit, may well have been me lol.

Anyway i would ignore this lot, if you can afford to run it then why not. Yeah there expensive to run and service but if you can pay for it all then do it.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

My previous car was a Celica that I had a long discussion with my insurer about as i was considering taking it to germany and needed info on temporarily changing cars and the guy actually told me i should just drive it Thirp party through my insurance - untill i pointed the driving extension cover only covers me in the UK.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Careful... that could be viewed as fronting.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    edit: Just want to add something

Personally, I think you have the wrong car, 40k a year in a VR4 will kill you in running costs, thats near enough a cambelt every year, about 4k in just oil changes with good fluids
    Suspension parts and cheap and will break

What you want is a V624v or GLS POWAH! I really dont want to dishearten you but last year cost me about 8k all in to run my car and that was around 10k miles done in it, we are a friendly bunch on here and I think what I am saying most will agree with, we just try to give the best advice we can

40k a year in a VR4 will not do it any justice or your pocket any good, you have said that over £150 is a lot of cash to you, please please think about this, as I dont think this is the right car for you, with that mileage and your financial status. Work on the basis if you cant afford to insure it, you cant afford to run it, please think about this

£150 is what id consider a lot to jsut fork out for what is effectivley no good reason. Spending £400 on a new exhaust that i dont actually need and wont give me much better jsut doesnt seem worth it.

Ill happily pay for the car keeping in good order.

I dont expect to be doing 40k this year and thats between several cars i did it last year. Also about 10k of that is probably motorway.

I was jsut pointing that out to try and stipulate im not a typical teenager whos just had a saxo for 1k miles and bought a cheap upgrade.

Im not saying im es experienced as you guys but Ive been driving for over 2 years and dont over 60k in total in many different cars. I know what im doing when it comes to picking a car and looking after it and the insurance.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

I would still be wary, to be honest it really does sound like you have bought the wrong car for what you want.

Also it doesnt matter how much mileage you do in a car it doesnt make you any more experienced

As for forking out £150 on things that will be effectively for no good reason you will be doing a lot with this, I honestly think you should really consider this, Im not trying to p*ss on your bonfire, but I have been there and done it at your age, and I can honestly say that you would be better of with a normal V6 Galant over a VR4, it doesnt use as many pennies as a VR4, and you can actually insure it in your own name as its a lower insurance group

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Piers, welcome to the club.

I wouldn't take any notice of people who try to tell you that you bought the wrong car. I don't recall you asking for advice on whether to buy or not.
    I can't always afford my car, but it doesn't mean I should have to get rid of it for a tiny heap of junk.

I also disagree with Kieran about 'fronting' As you have insurance in your own right, you are not passing yourself off as a named driver on your parents policy, so I don't think you would have anything to worry about.

Drive, spend, enjoy.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Thought Id add some piccys to the thread

Sorry about the ridiculous size.... I dont have any photo editing software

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

to CVR4! You are in the right place!

I'm glad you've cleared up the insurance side of things! You've put forward measured, objective responses to all the doubters (and I'm not going to fib and say I wasn't one of them ). If you've already cleared it with your own advisers then I see no problems! So good for you!!

I have to admit though, I thought there was something in the small print of all insurance policies, that the other vehicles to be driven on your own insurance under third party only cover, can't be owned by members of the same household? But I guess you've already covered this off too!

Anyway, enjoy!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio
    I have to admit though, I thought there was something in the small print of all insurance policies, that the other vehicles to be driven on your own insurance under third party only cover, can't be owned by members of the same household? But I guess you've already covered this off too!

Anyway, enjoy!
    Yep I checked that aswell and even read through all of the painstaking documentation that I got with my policy and re read when i renewed to check that it hadnt changed.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi & welcome