Thread: Anyone show me how to access rear spark plugs?

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Anyone show me how to access rear spark plugs?

I no this is usually not an option for me as the nearest member lives about 80 miles from me, but im going to be in the west london area from around 5th - 10th May.

If anyone around there with experience working on the car would be willing to show me exactly how to remove the intake manifold it would be a real help

I tried reading the article but i wanst sure about some of the bolts and so thought it best to leave untill i can get some help.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Where do you live?

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Come up to carlisle if you want mate, i did mine recently, can give you a hand if you like.

Cheers

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Where do you live?
    Ulverston, in cumbria. We were on the news yesterday as we had an earthquake - 3.7 on the Richter scale :O.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDITD
    Come up to carlisle if you want mate, i did mine recently, can give you a hand if you like.
    Its a bit of a drive unless im going that way anyway, otehrwise thanks .

If i dont get it done while im in London ill come n see you next time im going to my mates in Newcastle

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Ok mate no worries, i was a bit aprehensive about doing it also, but i thought bugger it and had a go.

Remove y pipes, removed plastic cover, theres a bracket at the back of the manifold, a bar to the left hand side that has to come off its like a anti movement bar, the four bolts holding the TB on, plus a few others, with one bolt left in i couldnt move it so i just kept going till it lifted off. I was worried about the throttle body the most but once you remove the fourbolts the TB stays put anyway. Just catch the gasket.

Its pretty Stright forward, but you are more than welcome to come up. Theres a drag day this weekend here also if you fancy a run out.

Cheers

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I did this, without removing the inlet manifold completely (just enough for it to be moved out of the way for access to the plugs).

Best bit of advice? Couple of rags to stuff in the top of the turbos so you don't lose a bolt in there...
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

shame it wasn't easter again i was in the lakes, could have dropped in to give you the info you needed.

i am in manchester so it is about 1.5 Hrs each way.

But as Alan says above i always leave the throtle body in place and remove the plenum chamber completely to make everything more straight forward. again as alan says make sure you catch the gasket that will drop out from between the throtle body and plenum chamber.

very good tip about the turbo's and rags.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Which way are you travelling down to London? If you are using the M40, I only live 15 minutes from the north end. Feel free to drop in for a cup of tea and a point at stuff in an engine bay!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I left the Y pipe on, and the pipe in the end of the rear turbo (removed bolt and rotated pipe) I then disconnected everything I could find that would stop the inlet manifold from moving, and carefully shifted the whole lot (throttle body, the works) out of the way to get to the plugs. In truth, a bit more space would have been handy, but it was enough as long as you are careful not to try and stretch any wiring etc. Took me about 2hrs looking at it to figure out what I was going to do, but only about 35mins to put it all back together carefully, and that includes finding the bastard bolt I dropped into the engine bay somewhere

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Was it the bolt that connects the intercooler pipe to the front turbo compressor housing by eny chance? Took me 7 goes to get that one in.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Ah..nope...didn't need to remove that one, as the Y-pipe stayed in situ.
    It was the one that goes right down the back behind the throttle body. Fiddly beggar.