Name
    Rees
    Last Online
    03-02-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Honda Civic

so are you sayin this is a better route to go rather than say a amp ecu 2 ?

obviously a hell ove a loyt cheaper but does the mapecu2 option have any advantages , eg live real time diagnostic read back ?

once again i find myself talking well out my depth but , just for the non-gurus amongst us..

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

are these openport 2.0 cable really only available at a cost of about $160-$200 depending if you get all the connectors with it.

does anyone have an openport 2.0 cable that live north west england that wants a prefacelift Auto engine ecu to have a play with. let me know.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

just to let you know the part number is MD340289 (metal box) with a MH7201FS processor. i know the theory is that the 7201 processor can not be flashed. but it worth a play. at least the map can be read and used as comparison.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    08-12-2016
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    evo2

Quote Originally Posted by dublee
    Hey guys,

Small world, the BarryC who started the thread on geekmapped is talking about MY VR4, that is where he got the def file in the first place.

BarryC the GENIUS responsible for all this, anybody wishing to contact or thank him can do so via The Irish Mitsubishi Owners Club. In the section for CW Performance.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
    he isnt the only one that made this possible.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    08-12-2016
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    evo2

Quote Originally Posted by kc427
    OK, done!! I have successfully flashed the VR4 ECU. YES, my 98 VR4 MT ECU can be flashed without problem, and I can drive it without any problem.

Here is the config:

Software: ECUFlash 1.41.2483
    Cable: OpenPort 2.0 cable
    ROM ID: 20030011

Simple test has been done, ie, set the RPM Limit to 3000rpm, and flashed the ROM, and test drove the car and then really cut at around 3000rpm

VR4 ---- Happy Tuning
    glad you managed to get it flashed if you need anymore help you know where i am.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

If you intend to play with it a lot, different mods, different fuels and setups etc....then the MAP2 is probably better as you can map it in real time. The ECUFlash works best if you can make as few flashes as possible...this means having a base map as close to target as possible, and a few minimal changes. Keep changing it, and eventually you'll run out of flashes.

MAP2 can be tweaked all day and everyday without running out of reflashes: it's up in the tens-of-millions range.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    08-12-2016
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    evo2

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    If you intend to play with it a lot, different mods, different fuels and setups etc....then the MAP2 is probably better as you can map it in real time. The ECUFlash works best if you can make as few flashes as possible...this means having a base map as close to target as possible, and a few minimal changes. Keep changing it, and eventually you'll run out of flashes.

MAP2 can be tweaked all day and everyday without running out of reflashes: it's up in the tens-of-millions range.
    piggybacks are good alternatives to standalone but expensive compared to whats on offer now with ecuflash which imo is a better option.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

is it just me or is the question Steve_turbo asked before about the ECU rest possibly wiping the changes made to the ECU, has not been answered.

anyone willing to answer? or just let me know what the answer was if it has been answered.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    08-12-2016
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    evo2

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj
    is it just me or is the question Steve_turbo asked before about the ECU rest possibly wiping the changes made to the ECU, has not been answered.

anyone willing to answer? or just let me know what the answer was if it has been answered.
    i answered that.if you disconnect the battery the ecu does NOT reset to factory settings.once flashed it stays until reflashed again.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by evonut270
    i answered that.if you disconnect the battery the ecu does NOT reset to factory settings.once flashed it stays until reflashed again.
    Excellent, Thanks for the update

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Dave.....my fault there due to the way I asked the question. I had doubts the actual maps had been flashed (and not just volatile parameters) but yes, reading the thread on GeekMapped, the actual maps themselves (which are non-volatile on the VR4) have been changed. Whilst you can change individual points / parameters in volatile, to make a detailed map change requires a successful reflash.

Well done to everyone who has achieved this: Apologies for my cynicism regarding this, but there have been many "red herrings" with people using RPM limit or other volatile parameters proclaiming success, only to find a full ECU reset clears them. It's a heck of a big win, and if you can get the earlier CPUs to rewrite their non-volatile space, I think we'll all love you forever

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    Hong Kong

Dave.....my fault there due to the way I asked the question. I had doubts the actual maps had been flashed (and not just volatile parameters) but yes, reading the thread on GeekMapped, the actual maps themselves (which are non-volatile on the VR4) have been changed. Whilst you can change individual points / parameters in volatile, to make a detailed map change requires a successful reflash.

Well done to everyone who has achieved this: Apologies for my cynicism regarding this, but there have been many "red herrings" with people using RPM limit or other volatile parameters proclaiming success, only to find a full ECU reset clears them. It's a heck of a big win, and if you can get the earlier CPUs to rewrite their non-volatile space, I think we'll all love you forever
    Steve, may I add a point about that, so that everyone can understand more about the logic.

Actually, those settings in the maps are stored in the flash(or you can call it non-volatile memory). Let's take an example, the RPM limit. The ECU program will keep checking the existing RPM, ie, the RPM you see from your tachometer, and let’s call it Current_RPM. Since the Current_RPM is a dynamic data or a input parameter, ie, it changes from time to time, so it will be stored in the RAM. Now, whenever the ECU program is checking the Current_RPM, it will do the following:

If (Current_RPM < RPM_Limit), then do nothing and continue the program, else if (Current_RPM > RPM_Limit), then cut fuel, cut ignition,etc…..

Of course, the real case is more complicated, but, the idea is similar to this.

So you can see, the RPM_Limit is just a constant value, and no need to be changed when the engine is running, that’s why, the RPM_Limit is stored into the flash, and it will be used when the program needs. Similarly, other settings do the the same, stored into the flash.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by evonut270
    glad you managed to get it flashed if you need anymore help you know where i am.
    yeah, sure...... well, I will try the 2byte load sometimes this week, if I success, I will tell you all.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    Hong Kong

Guys, just checked the H539F(same as 7202?) spec, and it mentioned the On-Chip flash supports only upto 100 times. So, it is true, there are only 100 times to do the flash!!! Correct me if I am wrong.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by KC247
    Steve, may I add a point about that, so that everyone can understand more about the logic.

Actually, those settings in the maps are stored in the flash(or you can call it non-volatile memory). Let's take an example, the RPM limit. The ECU program will keep checking the existing RPM, ie, the RPM you see from your tachometer, and let’s call it Current_RPM. Since the Current_RPM is a dynamic data or a input parameter, ie, it changes from time to time, so it will be stored in the RAM. Now, whenever the ECU program is checking the Current_RPM, it will do the following:

If (Current_RPM < RPM_Limit), then do nothing and continue the program, else if (Current_RPM > RPM_Limit), then cut fuel, cut ignition,etc…..

Of course, the real case is more complicated, but, the idea is similar to this.

So you can see, the RPM_Limit is just a constant value, and no need to be changed when the engine is running, that’s why, the RPM_Limit is stored into the flash, and it will be used when the program needs. Similarly, other settings do the the same, stored into the flash.
    KC...thanks for taking the time to clarify, and yes, I know what you are saying, but it's not the whole story. As I said, you can temporarily change the boost target and the RPM limit using the mitsubishi diagnostic tool. These remain in place until you cancel them with the MUT (mitsubishi tool) or until the ECU is reset. So they're not only in flash memory: Hence my question regarding the success of the process.

To summarise your process overview, it must be:
    If (Current_RPM < (RPM_Limit - Volatile_RPM_limit)), then do nothing and continue the program, else if (Current_RPM > (RPM_Limit - Volatile_RPM_limit)), then invoke limiter etc

I understand the flashing process quite deeply: It's just that the particular variable you chose to prove it with (on this thread...not on Geekmapped) is one that IS available from Volatile memory, though presumably, as you say, it's a modifier to the Read Only tables.

I'm not doubting what you say, as you've clearly made changes to the map...it was purely the choice of RPM limit (which can be modified without flashing) as proof which I doubted.

I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear about my doubts: I really should take more time over posts sometimes.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    Hong Kong

KC...thanks for taking the time to clarify, and yes, I know what you are saying, but it's not the whole story. As I said, you can temporarily change the boost target and the RPM limit using the mitsubishi diagnostic tool. These remain in place until you cancel them with the MUT (mitsubishi tool) or until the ECU is reset. So they're not only in flash memory: Hence my question regarding the success of the process.

To summarise your process overview, it must be:
    If (Current_RPM < (RPM_Limit - Volatile_RPM_limit)), then do nothing and continue the program, else if (Current_RPM > (RPM_Limit - Volatile_RPM_limit)), then invoke limiter etc

I understand the flashing process quite deeply: It's just that the particular variable you chose to prove it with (on this thread...not on Geekmapped) is one that IS available from Volatile memory, though presumably, as you say, it's a modifier to the Read Only tables.

I'm not doubting what you say, as you've clearly made changes to the map...it was purely the choice of RPM limit (which can be modified without flashing) as proof which I doubted.

I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear about my doubts: I really should take more time over posts sometimes.
    Something I still don't understand. You said I can temporarily change the boost target and the RPM limit using the Mitsubishi diagnostic tool, what tool is it? How does it work? Do you have any information about it or any link I can check? Sorry, but just curious and want to know more about that

Maybe this weekend, if I have time to do it, I will try to unplug the ECU, and then reconnect it after awhile to see the data is still there or not.... that's interesting.

Just one more thing, it's 2am in the morning, so I will do it tomorrow, let me post a log graph from EvoScan, and show you the ignition timing different after I flashed the ROM. In the stock ROM, the highest number in the igniton map is 38, and the tuned ROM is 43. From both logs from EvoScan, I can see the ignition timing are correctly logged. I think the diagnostic tool cannot set the ignition timing, can it Anyway, I post the picture tomorrow night.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    Hong Kong

Tonight, I have tested the 2byte RPM, and it works, and the graph is almost exactly same as normal RPM graph. Unfortunately, I failed the more important one, 2byte Load, and I saw wrong data from the EvoScan. Anyway, I will investigate again to find out the 2byte Load.

2 byte RPM address is:

2byte RPM
    MUT 02 = F0A8
    MUT 03 = F0A9

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by kc427
    Guys, just checked the H539F(same as 7202?) spec, and it mentioned the On-Chip flash supports only upto 100 times. So, it is true, there are only 100 times to do the flash!!! Correct me if I am wrong.
    Yeah- they always say that- and to be fair its something you need to be prepared for, but......

Scoobys are supposed to have 5 erase and remap cycles according to my ecutek book, but you can do them literally thousands of times!

Flash is a PITA to map, but ecu flash on evos now has live mapping- which is much better.

Remapping the stock ecu is a very very good option.

Well done KC!

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

LOL Flashing gets a lot better once there are a few published base maps out there..and if you're a tuner you tend to build up a few "choice" maps in your library for specific types of modification.

For example 550s + TD04s would seem a popular base map
    Rescaled MAF tables are also dead handy: usually one for a specific bypass and another for a larger MAF.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Please can someone clarify what exactly is needed for the other chips? (MH7201F and MH7203F)

I don't mind putting in a little time contacting chip suppliers in China to try and get some more info on these ICs.

Ps. out of curiosity, what chip is most likely to be in my PFL Auto 97 Galoon VR-4?
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast