M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

My car is now in the garage!

Took it in to have the AYC pump replaced and to find out if there was a reason for it packing up.
    They reackon they have a pump in stock and they reckon they will receive it first thing tomorrow but apparently even though it is in stock it still might not be, if you can understand that?! :rolleyes: in which case it could take a couple of weeks for it to arrive, but I have the option of taking the car home if that's the case.

It's been done at a Mitsubishi and Ralliart dealer here:
    Westhampnett Mitsubishi
    Westhampnett Road
    CHICHESTER
    West Sussex
    PO19 4HH
    01243 531335

I drove it there and luckily my dad came with me in another car as apparently I had to book up about 2 weeks in advance to receive a curtosy car. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

I bought it from:
    Marshall Mitsubishi
    The Marshall Car Centre
    699 Newmarket Road
    CAMBRIDGE
    CB5 8SQ
    01223 377500
    Which is miles away from me so the last time it went away they came down in a car and drove in my car leaving theirs for me to use.

But I would have thought this dealer would have set aside a car without needing to be asked, oh well. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Brind

Good luck with it mate - I assume this is being done under warranty is it ?

Pete

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Thanks mate.

Yeah it is being done under warranty, if I had to pay for a new pump myself I'd probably have to sell the car. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (
    They reckon a pump costs about £2,000 but most of the time it is just a simple switch that breaks but since it is intergrated you have to buy the whole pump. :rolleyes:

But they said that whatever it is they will fix it at no cost to me.
    So fingers crossed that it will be sorted, and nothing else will go wrong with it as I've had my share of things already.

Ticking engine.
    AYC pump..
    And the front right hand side interior bulb has blown.

Compare this to a Ford Sierra that has more rust then the Titanic and yet will not die!

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Originally posted by Brind
    And the front right hand side interior bulb has blown.

OMG ! Not an interior bulb !:Cry1:

Bet your glad of that warranty mate ! LMAO

Pete

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

I didn't bother telling them about the bulb because it would probably cost me £50 to have it replaced.
    But yeah the bulb did irritate since it blew when I was showing the car off to some relations.

Last Online
    23-12-2004
    Country
    England

I've been told I need a new AYC pump - but I have to pay for mine !

If you end up with a new one, any chance that I could have your old one to see if I could get it fixed to replace mine ?

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

All done! they had the part first thing this morning and fitted it, took about 4 hours they said.
    I didn't have time to pick it up tonight but I'm going to pick it up tomorrow first thing.
    I'll also get that annoying bulb tomorrow too if I get chance.
    Sod the AYC I want a bulb!

They say they cannot be repaired, 9 times out of 10 it is just a switch that packs up but since it is all intergrated, the whole thing becomes useless, they never repair them.
    It was at a main dealer so they won't give the old one to me, plus it has probably been slung already.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Brind

Great news mate !

PJ

:Cry1: :Cry1: :Cry1: Shame about his old one mate !

Pete

Last Online
    20-02-2007
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi VR4 Tipo

If this AYC pump is a 'common' problem, on the next failure then we need to keep connected and try to get the 'broken' one. I've repaired the unrepairable previously. If it happens to me then I will certainly make sure sure I get the broken one, in fact prior to spending the dosh I would ask my service workshop to try and repair now we know what component is faulty - they will have a go.

I'm lost, so what's difficult about changing an interior bulb?onder:

Banjo
    banjo
    99V VR4 tipo saloon, dark blue with sunroof
    17" Oz's with Eagles
    HKS air filter
    HKS seq dump
    Complete waxoyl protection

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Nothing difficult with changing the bulb, just getting hold of a new one!

The pump was replaced under warranty so I couldn't care less how much it costs from my point of view of course, I didn't spend a penny.

As far as I now the AYC pump isn't really problematic on the VR-4? although Simon INSERT INTO post VALUES (on this forum) has an identical INSERT INTO post VALUES (one digit different on our number plates too :cool: ) car to me all bar the colour and his pump has been replaced aswell.
    Maybe a problem with 1999 cars? yours is a 99 aswell isn't it Banjo? good luck!

On normal circumstances I would have tried to repair it aswell, especially at the cost of £2,000+, but like I said it was done under warranty so I wasn't bothered, they were adament it wasn't repairable and I was about to argue.
    Could be like air con systems and parts of the braking system etc, once apart they are pretty much useless to the average person.
    Last edited by Brind; 18-06-2003 at 12:18 AM.

Last Online
    23-12-2004
    Country
    England

I'd like to ask the people who've had the pump problem a question When you had the problem was the red AYC light on all the time?

Mine was intermittent, but is now on nearly all the time, although sometimes I can drive for half an hour with the AYC working OK, green bars flashing, then the red light comes on. I don't want to spend £2000 unless I really have to. The dealer told me that it wasn't doing any further damage by not getting it fixed.

Last Online
    20-02-2007
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi VR4 Tipo

Yes, regarding the AYC - keep fingers crossed! However if it came to that if I couldn't repair or get repaired I think I would try to source from Japan, the U.S. or perhaps Singapore.

I seem to remember reading a little while ago when AYC was first introduced on the Evo that there was a recall but I don't know the full story, sometimes component problems on cars never get fully sorted until a complete re-design.

Sometimes RS Components or Maplin stock odd size auto bulbs.

Banjo

Last Online
    13-01-2005

Originally posted by pjjohnson
    I'd like to ask the people who've had the pump problem a question When you had the problem was the red AYC light on all the time?

Mine was intermittent, but is now on nearly all the time, although sometimes I can drive for half an hour with the AYC working OK, green bars flashing, then the red light comes on. I don't want to spend £2000 unless I really have to. The dealer told me that it wasn't doing any further damage by not getting it fixed.
    Peter

Check to see if the AYC is similar to any of the previous EVOs INSERT INTO post VALUES (eg EVO IV). Since there are far more EVOs than VR4s you might be able to get a second hand AYC for an EVO that fits your Legnum at a reasonable price.
    LEGNUM VR-4 TYPE-S
    Trigger Mauve, INVECS-II 5sp Tiptronic gearbox
    2.5L, V6, 24V, Twin Turbo, 4WD, AYC, Full Leather and Wood interior, Climate Control

Modifications
    Paddle-shift gear change mechanism,
    HKS Super Power Flow Induction,
    HKS Super Drager Exhaust,
    HKS EVC Pro Boost Controller,
    HKS Fuel Cutoff Defensor,
    HKS EIDS,
    HKS Turbo Timer
    225/40ZR18 Yoko AVS Sports Tyres
    Ralliart VR-4 floor mats, Full Privacy Glass,
    Pioneer ICE, 2x500 WATT Amplifiers, 500 WATT Sub-Woofer

See pictures of my car HERE.

Last Online
    23-12-2004
    Country
    England

Good thinking Haydar

Last Online
    13-01-2005

Peter

I’ve had a quick look on various EVO news forums and from what I can tell the AYC pump for the EVO VI can be bought for between £350-£450. I’m not sure if these are brand new prices or salvage, but this is what people are paying for them.

Owners are also reporting problems with the Solenoid that is part of the pump, which seems to be causing the most problems. Owners are buying the AYC pump, just to pull out the solenoid switch and give the AYC pump back!!!! Apparently the switch cannot be bought seperately!!!!

If the AYC pump is not working properly then this can lead to excessive ware of the rear clutches if the car is driven aggressively and utimately lead to their premature demise.

I'm convinced that at least one of the EVO pumps will fit the Legnum VR4 since so many parts are shared between cars of the same manufacturer. £2000 seems very excessive and you might want to check out American sites where parts can be even cheaper and Japan.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

£2,000 is Mitsubishi UK prices so like you said you could probably get them cheaper elsewhere if needs be.
    I also had a look around to see the prices of used/salvage pumps and they were around £400.

When my car was first started the AYC would be checked, so all lights came up then went away like they should but once on the move the red AYC warning light, not the green bars would light and stay on until I turned off the ignition, once started again it would be fine then once on the move the warning light would come on again and stay on, so mine was not intermittant.
    It would never go off once it came on in other words.

My pump or whatever packed up in a very short space of time!
    There was no, it's okay but now it's not okay, it was a case of 'dead'.
    I had a weird sound coming from the front right drivers side wheel area, that stopped once the pump was changed, so maybe that had something to do with the AYC?
    No noises coming from anywhere else.

Last Online
    13-01-2005

Originally posted by Brind
    £2,000 is Mitsubishi UK prices so like you said you could probably get them cheaper elsewhere if needs be.
    I also had a look around to see the prices of used/salvage pumps and they were around £400.

I had a weird sound coming from the front right drivers side wheel area, that stopped once the pump was changed, so maybe that had something to do with the AYC?
    No noises coming from anywhere else.
    I thought the AYC only affected the rear wheels?

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

All of them as far as I know?
    It takes readings from sensors on all wheels anyway.

Last Online
    23-12-2004
    Country
    England

I've checked with Xtreme and they say the pump isn't the same as the EVO pumps.

Good news is I've found a place INSERT INTO post VALUES (not a dealer but a rally car preparer) fairly close to me that will replace the pump with a new one for about £1000, but the better news is that they seem know all about the AYC system and will do a proper investigation. They say the pump will be very similar to EVO pumps, just different 'packaging' and they will have an old pump available that they can cannibalise. If its a simple fixable problem they will fix it simply, and cheaply. Hopefully going in next week.

Last Online
    20-02-2007
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi VR4 Tipo

Sounds like good news pjjohnson, all your research will I'm sure prove beneficial for us all.