Richard
    Last Online
    08-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mini Cooper S

PFL 7201 ecu successfully read and flashed

As per the subject having removed the eprom chip from a pfl ecu I've managed to read the data off it (see attached file) I've also sucessfully tested writing to another eprom...

I've not really looked at the rom in detail yet as I only just removed it 15 mins ago but I think it follows the same format as others I've seen.

Next step for me is to solder a socket onto the ECU I currently have in bits and see if it still works with the original map before applying a new map if I'm really lucky i may manage this over the weekend.

can a ecu mapping expert give me a second opinion on the attached rom - is it the same format as the 7202 roms?

assuming that it is has anyone got a good generic map (more boost please) for an unmodded VR4?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Was the ECU only flashable by removing the chip, or was it just easier that way? I suspect a few people might not be too keen to take a soldering iron to their ECU, and if it can be flashed without the chip being taken off the board, that would be great

But definitely good news for us PFL owners have some rep!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    08-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mini Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by wintertidenz
    Was the ECU only flashable by removing the chip, or was it just easier that way? I suspect a few people might not be too keen to take a soldering iron to their ECU, and if it can be flashed without the chip being taken off the board, that would be great

But definitely good news for us PFL owners have some rep!
    I aquired a spare before i did it and it is fair to say it's not something for the feint of heart - I just hope I didn't cook the ecu mainboard in the process of removing it as i have yet to check it still works.

It probably is possible to do it without removal unfortunately the question of how hasn't been answered.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Great work! This will probably end up being a service that some of us can do for others, unless a solderless method can be found.

REP!

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hope this all goes well, well done, does this mean it may be poss with evoscan cable??
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Well, that's not a total loss, there's nothing stopping you making a "daughterboard" that you can adjust / reflash whenever you want (but I think I remember reading that the changes are only read once per start-up or power-up and then kept in RAM)
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Hope this all goes well, well done, does this mean it may be poss with evoscan cable??
    Nope, not yet. This is more physically desoldering the storage chip of the ECU, programming it in a dedicated programming device, and then resoldering it into the ECU.

I hope one day it's just as simple as an OpenECU cable.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    08-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mini Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie
    the changes are only read once per start-up or power-up and then kept in RAM)
    Ugh hope your wrong on that as I was planning to try switchable maps next and having to disconnect the battery every time you switch the map would be a bit rubbish.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by kinkyafro
    Ugh hope your wrong on that as I was planning to try switchable maps next and having to disconnect the battery every time you switch the map would be a bit rubbish.
    If you're going to have switchable maps, you'll probably have a switch of some sort, and I would also think that switching maps while the engine is running is a no no. So why not wire it up so that when the engine is off, you switch maps and it also resets the ecu.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I will have a chat with you at the weekend Rich about some idea on how you can do this without de-soldering the chip

But Mucho rep from me for doing this

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Wonder if it is possible to pull the code within the actual processor and modify it so that switchable maps are possible?

There could also be a routine in there that prevents any changes to a particular area of the EPROM, which is why EvoScan and ECUFlash don't work... guess the only way to really tell is to check out how the other ECU's have been flashed and what they did to allow writing to memory.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

I'm sure I mentioned this in the other thread, but a daughter board with an inverted plcc socket on the bottom would do the trick. They used to do it in the Amiga days for various expansion options. I've attached two images showing what I mean. The first shows the daughter board installed, the second is a bit small, but shows the bottom of the daughter board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Edmund
    Last Online
    18-03-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    91 Galant

This is similar to what the older evo and the DSM guys do. Desolder the main EPROM chip, put in a ZIF socket and burn new chips for the ecu, or use an emulator to do live mapping etc.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    08-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mini Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by aboo
    Anymore news on this?
    Yeah it seems that the rom I pulled is not yet understood - there are definitely tables present but they need to have there location, size and purposes identified. I just posted on geekmapped to see if any of the ecu gurus there can make sense of it.

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Have you managed to solder a socket on and put the ROM back in for testing the ECU yet?

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    08-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mini Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by wintertidenz
    Have you managed to solder a socket on and put the ROM back in for testing the ECU yet?
    Yep although I won't be testing it for a few weeks (no reason to rush as I don't have a modified rom to put on it).

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

You could always just modify a couple of null bits at the end and see if they write okay?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi There,
    i would have thought you would want to see if the fitting of the chip back in to the socket and removing of it casued any problems before you go modifiying the rom.
    get to a safe stable point where you can put a peg in the ground, in terms of design robustness. so you are confident you can pull the chip programe it and put it back in without worrying about the design falling apart. the last thing you would want is to do a load of testing, only to find out you have a intermitant dry solder joint some where thhat has bee screwing up your results and have to repeat everything again as no longer have reliable results.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

What is the part number of the ROM chip please? I am an electronics/software engineer.

Name
    Paddy
    Last Online
    29-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

It's an atmel device - it's mentioned earlier in this therad I think - or another thread on flashing. theres only 2 or 3 of them about.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast