Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Performance upgrades

ok please may you guys give me you 2c input on the following items im wanting and wht you recomend please..

this is all for the VR4 Project

and where i can go may,and if new or used is ok.

i want to get some custom Manifolds with W/G outlets plummbed back.short or long length M/Folds?? S/S or Mild Steel ok?

ECU: Link,Gizzmo,Autronic? etc?/ and cheapest possible,new or used,hardwire or plug n play?

Guages??

im welding up my own S/S FMIC kit and a custom Exhaust

now for the either 2.4 Viento Upgrade mods or the 6a13 FWD setup mods...

if Viento,what could i do to tweak it? manifolds,extractors,etc

i will weld up a 3" System for it aswell

same for the 6a13 if i use that..manifolds,extractors,etc

please give me your views guys..

not i want low down performance from all my vehicles

thanx guys

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Any ECU will cost you at least $3k by the time it is installed and tuned. I would suggest that instead of doing that you should concentrate on things that YOU can make yourself as you will be able to make money from that. IE selling a manifold and downpipe setup for a VR-4 that bolts up to where the stock cat starts. That way someone doesn't have to buy a new exhaust.

And do the same thing for the ST-R and 2.4 GDI's. You can make money from that.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

as mentioned in my Qcutoms thread i aim and am aiming on doing this,im going to make sure i cover just about evrything for the Gen 8 models aswell as other models but specializing in these models only...,do you think the market wil lbe bigger on the mild steel setup or stainless? and then the cannons and resignators,i need to know wich are the best for performance etc.. same with the manifolds and extractors

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I'd go with stainless as it won't rust. I agree with you staying with the 2.4 GDI, ST-R and VR-4 models. The 1.8's are too low end and cheap now, the 2.0 v6's are rare as hell, the 2.0 4g94's are both rare and poor performers compared to the 1.8 gdi and 2.5 v6.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

yea i hope theyll keep round for a long while yet ae man,,,

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Probably better to start off mucking around with the stock ECU, isn't it?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by mattnz
    Probably better to start off mucking around with the stock ECU, isn't it?
    There isn't much that one can do with this in New Zealand as there are no tuners (to my knowledge) that have the skills and experience to flash and tune the MH7202 ECU.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Then we should encourage someone to learn

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

I can walk you through making a loom adaptor / wiring for the Link if you want. I have wired in the G4 extreme, but i think you could make the storm work just as well.. The stock ecu has individual channels for the injectors, but if you run wasted spark like these, then you could make it work.

I have been super slack, and very poor this year so far, but hopefully i will have a base map for the link that will be good enough to drive it around under light boost after my holidays in January.

Either that or have a look at the Vipec that Ben is doing in the UK, they are a 'very similar' unit to the link, and they have a map set up already.

Or if someone wants to learn about the reflashing, there is a VERY good guide to how the stock ecu does its thing on OZVR4. Im working through it at the moment, and its very thorough.

My manifolds are 40mm ID steel, which was the cheaper option, a bit heavier than stainless, and easier to work with welding wise (not a problem for you obviously tho) I went with the steel cause in my case i was going to need heat treating in some places, and once ceramic coated the look was going to change anyway.

As for the length i think it will be dictated by the turbos you choose.. if you can find a way to get TD04s on there easily, bolt on style, i think youd have a niche market for your manifolds and it wouldnt matter what they look like.. If you have to cut anything to fit them then they would be harder to sell if that is part of your plan.

2/1/06 Rangikapiti Pa - Mangonui, Northland

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

As above: if you can produce a TD04 bolt on kit for non-ridiculous money (e.g. $NZ3000 all in for a pair of manifolds, all the turbo fittings (oil and water) and downpipes and optionally some induction piping, then people can sort their own ECU tribulations out.

I think it would be a very popular kit.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

im interested.. keep talking!!!!! il lneed as much info on this aswell and sadly i WILL need someone to work with me on the tech side of things,ill do all the physicl and hands on work myself,ill need to get 2 old turbos,rooted 1's that is to use as dummies and work off that.. im all for a bolt on type system without any major modding,but may need small modding like, fans, and so forth if you know what i mean.

maby i will start up a thread on the production of a TDo4 Conversion with minimal work required for the public,and there in we can all discuss how we attack the plan?? but strictly i think we need to erase replies that are not of any help to the design and making of the conversion kit.
    basically calling all you Wizards and Gurus to give your inputs as you all know alot.

i dont mind stalling my VR4 Buildup while we perfect this system as i could use the cash from 1 sale to purchase a much loved Link Storm lol....

i think its time we do this ........the much talked,debated,discussed subject iv ever known on CVR4.

Last Online
    07-06-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

sounds like it would be cheaper for you to just bring your car over here, tune it then take it back. lol

looking at about 600gbp for an emanage blue fitted and mapped

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

i dont live and work in GB anymore lol.. the Storm is 1800NZ if i remember correctly so thats bout the same as youd pay right?
    ~Q~