Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Given that the product demo for stability control was "maintaining control in snow/ice" I have a feeling it's probably worth keeping - certainly it's yet to interfere with my car control.

Although, no doubt Mitsi were using mud & snow tyres, at least!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

LOL Don't trouble me with your "details"

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    7 x VR-4 & EA6W

Quote Originally Posted by raph
    And to the guy whos car stepped sideways braking wit6hout ab downhill...

yes your fronts braked more..but you unlaoded the back in the progress.. causing them to lock up..thus making the rear overtake the front.

And the tires with less grip lock up first anyway.. meaning if the tyres in the back are more worn,theyll lock up first .
    Got VR4 with non working ABS. The friend of mine was looking at the wheels from the side, while I applied brakes on snow/ice yesterday, and all the wheels seems to lock simultaneously. Rear locks at the the same time as the front and started to go uncontrollable sideways as soon as front locks (quite soon)

But then I thought: isn't it because of 4WD? Rears will always lock at the same time on 4WD and make the car go sideways!

So how do you ppl even consider running without ABS on our cars?!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GalantOnly
    Rears will always lock at the same time on 4WD and make the car go sideways!
    Not if your diffs are working properly!

And the Rally Cars don't run anti-lock brakes in the snow.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    7 x VR-4 & EA6W

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Not if your diffs are working properly!

And the Rally Cars don't run anti-lock brakes in the snow.
    That's might be a reason...

Last edited by GalantOnly; 01-02-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Name
    Fredrik
    Last Online
    20-10-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum Type-S

So you can use winder tyres in England if you want or?
    And most people don't or?

I'm using studded winter tyres on both of my cars that's kinda standard here.

Cant you just get non studded winter tyres they do kinda suck on ice but pretty grippy on snow.

I'm not really having any problem with the ABS at least not the tyres im using.

And thats on plenty of snow and ice at -10c seems the winter is here to stay

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There are no tyre laws in the UK regarding type of tyre on your car. It needs to be department of transport approved, I think? And speed rated for your car. But most people in the UK don't know what a winter tyre is!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Here you go guys, just read this. Made me think too and i agree with an earlier post from Nick Mann stating 99.9% of the time ABS is best left on.....

until that 0.01% of your life when you go to an Ice track day in Norway!

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/2/inde...id=80&Itemid=1
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Jay
    Last Online
    07-06-2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

I have found that 99% of the time when going down hills in my VR-4 your better off avoiding the brakes all together and just selecting a low gear (1st if needs be)

A lot of people dont understand how the tyres work and that if you using 80% of your tyres available grip to try and stop you only have 20% left to steer with.

If all else fails, take your feet of everything and just steer

JR
    Last edited by nuster100; 21-12-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Yep - low gear and feet off everything is good advice for any vehicle in slippery conditions. In an auto VR4 though, you'll need to use tip to select the right gear.

Name
    Julian
    Last Online
    30-04-2013
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    FL Legnum vr4

just thought i would but my few pence in.

last year i was driving 325i estate with traction control, abs and rwd in Germany, it was fantastic never lost control or had problems stopping, but then i bought dedicated winter tyres because that's the law over there, its all about your driving, you need to plan ahead on the road and slow down generally, stopping takes longer and you cant go into corners as fast no matter what car you drive! yes I turned the traction control off because it was a pain in the proverbial's, but the abs wasn't so bad if you didn't slam the brakes on.

I now drive a legnum (see below) I've had it on near enough sheet ice the other day and it wasn't overly bad, that's running on m+s tyres again traction control off so i can control the slide if i have to, but then i didn't expect it to handle like its on rails, who would?

winter tyres in uk are perfectly legal, however they arent allowed to be studded because there isnt enough snow on the roads for long enough (they just chew the tarmac), snow chains are brilliant if you're struggling but by law they have to be removed when no longer required, ie. when the plough or gritter have been round. if you dont you can be liable for the costs of road repairs if caught!!

moral of the story here i think is yes we drive 4wd cars, yes they have a lot of technology on them to make them fast as hell in straight lines and round corners on a dry or maybe wet road. but in the ice everyone is equal even that chav in the nova. so long as you drive sensible you should be OK most of the time, but sometimes accidents are unavoidable, but if you've tampered with your car ie, removed the abs, even temporarily then your car is deemed not roadworthy at that point in time, yes an MOT is only a snapshot and valid only briefly, but don't forget vosa can do snap inspections any time any where, and as mechanic I'm supposed to know better.

sorry its a bit of rant but nothing annoys me more than people driving beyond they're limits, in cars that aren't roadworthy, either by law, or by common-sense (its there, it does a job. car designers look at every eventuality they know more than we do about their systems, if it was dangerous it wouldn't be there, or it has a fail safe built in)
    1st 1998 PFL LEGNUM VR4
    2nd 1999 RALLIART FL LEGNUM VR4 EVO 8 BREMBO'S AND EVO 9 ENKEI ALLOYS 26/02/11
    PLX WIDEBAND AFR CONTROLLER & GAUGE 05/03/11
    CARBON WRAPPED CENTRE CONSOLE 05/0311
    FORGE SPLIT-R DUMP VALVE 05/03/11
    SWOOSH BOOST/VAC GAUGE 05/03/11
    JDM HEADLIGHTS MODIFIED TO LHD 05/03/11
    FUJITSUBO JAZMA SS EXHAUST FITTED 07/03/11
    D2 RACING COILOVERS FITTED 12/03/11
    EBC REDSTUFF PADS FRONT AND REAR 19/03/11
    MOCOL 10 ROW OIL COOLER FOR THE G/BOX 26/03/11
    OIL CATCH CAN 10/04/11
    2.5" -3" HOME MADE DOWNPIPES AND DE-CAT 28/04/11
    AYC LIGHT BARS ADDED TO CLOCK 14/05/11
    SWAPPED 45,000MILE ENGINE FROM LEGNUM 1 TO LEGNUM 2 13/06/2011
    MAGNECOR 8MM LEADS AND DENZO IRIDIUM PLUGS GAPPED TO 0.8MM 13/06/2011
    255LPH FUEL PUMP (HOT-WIRED) SARD FPR 27/01/2012
    SO FAR....

Name
    dale
    Last Online
    15-08-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    legnumvr4

Not sure if its my driving or a legnum just being a legnum? Or is something wrong? Wife & kid won't get in car when it's snowing or Icy - It's just all over the lpace. Wee skittery cars overtake me, I have no control HELP Is it just me?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    13-09-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thumbs up Winter tyres

For some reason the legnum is extremely difficult in snow and ice and I,ve seen many ,many standard cars operate much better ,in fact I,ve driven loads before , but the legnum is really bad .
    The only solutions are winter tyres ,been living in Sweden for the last eight months and last winter took my galant there on roads with 6" ice ,and snow everywhere , 60mph no problem .
    The only problem is getting them in the UK ,rare and very expensivebest look on Ebay for secondhand ,thats what I did as long as they have a good amount of tread left
    All the best
    3 Diamonds [/FONT][/COLOR] on my car ! Thunder, Speed and Lightning ! [/[/B]

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've always found my VR-4's to be well above average in the snow. But I tend to have deep tread on my road tyres as the tyres with low tread get demoted to track day jobbies!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I drove up and down the country last year in the snow in my VR-4 and have to say that, even with Falken FK-452 summer tyres, it handled everything I threw at it with ease.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

I have driven the Leggie in good snow coverage with both all season and winter tyres, I would say that the winters were marginally better, but it handled well on both. Controlable even if the back did step out, the worst experience I had was with a patch of deisel on the road, still managed to correct it eventually........

The right pressure in the tyres, maybe a touch less to give a little more surface area and traction and good tread is a good start, being respectful of the road conditions and you should be home dry and safe hopefully........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345