Thread: How to tell if the vehicle has AYC?

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

How to tell if the vehicle has AYC?

I'm looking at purchasing a (manual) VR4 in about a months time, when I have the money saved. Just looking at getting some information so I can buy with confidence!

So far I've got:
    Check lower front suspension ball joints.
    Check rear diff doesn't make awful noises on hard corners.
    Usual belt/oil checks.
    Tappit noises aren't too bad.

I want to get a VR4 with AYC, as I love to corner. However I've read all post 1998 (facelift) manual VR4's do not have AYC... in which case would I be better going for an older manual VR4 with AYC, or is the AYC not actually a big deal (and getting a newer vehicle would be better).

Also, how can one easily tell if the vehicle is fitted with AYC? i.e. if I pop the bonnet does it have a visible pump/etc. Or extra dash light or something?

Thanks for any replies,
    Carl.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

All PFL VR-4s had AYC.

The only facelift VR-4 available out of the factory with both a manual gearbox and AYC was the Legnum VR-4 Type-S, from May 1999 onwards. No facelift manual Galants came equipped with AYC.

There are three green AYC bars at the bottom of the rev counter. If you take off the cover in the rear right corner of the boot, there is the AYC actuator fluid reservoir. Handy hints for spotting AYC!

And
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Indeed, if it is a facelift manual Legnum then it will have AYC, if it is a facelift manual Galant it will not.

Apart from the three green bars on the dash there will also be a resevoir on the right hand side of the boot and the diff will have two hydraulic lines running to it.

Or of course you could just give us a link or pics of the car and we can tell you.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

If you REALLY want a facelift manual Galant with AYC, it CAN be done.. but it's a lot of effort.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Easier to buy an auto and convert to manual than integrating all of the electrics for AYC imho

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Yep, far less work involved. It's mostly restricted to the engine bay, rather than engine bay, center console, right rear etc.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

With regards to the AYC and how well it works as that doesnt seem to have been answered above...... it simply allows a large estate/saloon corner like a much smaller car........

It works very well in my opinion but I have never driven a non- AYC Legnum so I can not compare directly....... but my Leggy with AYC corners like it's on rails.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    08-12-2015
    Country
    United States
    Car
    Carless!

Also if you are wanting a Legnum with AYC as you like to corner, a rear strut bar would be an ideal first mod.
    why fix it the right way first time - when excessive swearing can occour when it all goes wrong when you don't?

Now with 5.7 liters of V8 muscle

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Thanks everyone for your replies

I'm personally looking more at the saloon as it more suits me, and I think I might hit up a '98 with AYC. I like both pre- and post-facelift looks so fine with me.

If I were to have a few (3ish) grand spare after purchase what would you recommend, I'm currently considering after-market suspension and an EBC.

Also how are the stock sensors on the car like? i.e. does it have a water-level as well as temp, oil pressure warning etc? Cause otherwise I'll probably make some engine monitoring hardware to put in along with the computer (actual PC) I'll be putting in. My plan is to run a gps with the PC and interface my valentine one to the PC as well, make for an in-car entertainement and monitoring system.

P.S I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so have background in software and microcontrollers, hence why a project like this interests me!

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Only sensor is water temp, so you'll need a boost gauge at least. If you're setting up an in-car PC, would probably be worthwhile using that with the diagnostics output for monitoring as well.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

A facelift car can have a Brembo brake upgrade straight off an evo which is a good upgrade.

No water level sensor and only the standard red low oil light (if its on you are already screwed!).

The usual add on gauges consist of oil pressure, oil temp & boost.

EBC is useful as the turbo's run quite low boost as stock. Panel filter in stock airbox, free flowing exhaust & decat.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold