Thread: Fresh imports

Last Online
    03-04-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lancia Delta HF

Fresh imports

I'm being a bit picky about the type of car I want. It has to be a pre facelift? (the one with 4 fog lights) Galant, in black with little or no mods. I would prefer manual but would settle for auto.
    So with that in mind, I was looking at getting one imported. There seems to be quite a few importers, but who would you suggest? I'm thinking of going to Newera as they seem to have sold quite a few VR4's, but they are a bit expensive compared to say ebony and ivory. Is it a case of you get waht you pay for or are they just expensive?

Cheers

Paul

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    04-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

New Era have a good rep... just ask Nev

From the sound of it, you want a FACELIFT. They are the ones with the four foglights (though one set of 'fogs' are actually not fogs, but fancy dancy turn lights).

Have a chat with New Era, and I'm sure they can source a black FL Galant with a manual 'box.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Newera cars are generally worth paying the premium for.

I think they are more reasonably priced now, but still probably the most expensive. Their service is brilliant, too.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Not everyone has had the same ' brilliant' experience with NewEra so be cautious...

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

If you really want a facelift Galant then just remember you can't get a facelift galant with the manual gearbox and AYC. You'll have to settle for an open diff at the rear and manual gearbox, AYC + Galant + Auto, or the best option of all, a Legnum manual with AYC
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    08-12-2015
    Country
    United States
    Car
    Carless!

I got mine from Newera, although it was already their stock so I didn't have to wait for them to find one. It was grade 4 Jap auction, although I'm now having to get the gearbox sorted as it doesn't change smoothly. But you do get a full comprehensive 1 year warranty so it will be covered in full from any VAT registered garage in the UK. besides clutch/flywheel if needed. But they are always consumables on any warranty.

But besides the gearbox - the car is very sound, although modded it's been done to a high standard.
    why fix it the right way first time - when excessive swearing can occour when it all goes wrong when you don't?

Now with 5.7 liters of V8 muscle

Last Online
    03-04-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lancia Delta HF

Cheers guys, after having a look around have decided that newera is the way to go. Had a trip down to E&I this morning a had a play in one of theirs, (insert big cheesy grin!) And after reading what Brad has wrote will be going with the auto option, just so I can have the green flashin lights on the dash! lol

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    08-12-2015
    Country
    United States
    Car
    Carless!

Quote Originally Posted by pwake
    Cheers guys, after having a look around have decided that newera is the way to go. Had a trip down to E&I this morning a had a play in one of theirs, (insert big cheesy grin!) And after reading what Brad has wrote will be going with the auto option, just so I can have the green flashin lights on the dash! lol
    You could of course take a fl auto and get a manual conversion done - not sure how hard it is, but I know people on here have done it. That way you get everything you want.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Most people find the auto IS everything they want, though

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Indeed, a conversion is fairly straight forward.

Name
    ralf
    Last Online
    10-11-2013
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    evo

so only the auto+manual fl legnum had ayc?? and not the manual galant?

well then, geuss its time to look for a manual legnum instead of a galant ...

i can see it now.. me driving like a loon ,with supplies from the hardware store in the boot!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

I have just imported a 96 VR4-S from Japan. Easy process but long winded. Just passed its MOT and waiting for DVLA to issue it a number. Its black with auto box and in very good condition with 50K on the clock. All original. I found it via Tradecarview. The seller was a member of JUMVEA but still a bit of a risk I guess as apart from photos the first time I saw it was when it was delivered!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Raph, some auto facelift legnums did not have AYC, but ALL manual facelift legnums had AYC, and all manual facelift galants did NOT have AYC.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    09-06-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4/tdi passat

also, be aware that if you go to Browns (uk agent for newera) rather than direct to newera itself you will not get a 12 month warranty but a 3 month 'gold' warranty. Browns have been good to deal with but the limitations of the warranty only became apparent to me after the car arrived. My mates FTO came from Browns but through Newera and his warranty is much more comprehensive.