Car
    98 S1 Legnum Ty

Name
    Dylan
    Last Online
    07-09-2022
    Country
    Other

You will need everything on that list apart from the last two items, which are four metal rings MD760146 & MD760147. Mitsubishi calls them seals and recommends replacing them but looking at mine I couldn't see any noticeable wear. But they are cheap and really don't take more that a few seconds to replace, so unless you are totally skint I can't see why you wouldn't replace them.

The asterisks next to the other rubber o-rings is to bring to your attention that these can be hard to come by in genuine parts and that you may need to order a few weeks in advance in case they have to be back ordered. Aftermarket alternatives are listed that you can source yourself by ringing around a few bearing or oil seal shops etc.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

wow that is a massive thread full of great info.

i would love to see the full write up of the job but from what i can see you have covered just about all angles in the thread.

this is something i would consider doing as i have a spare gear box in the shed and it seems it would be an ideal thing to do an auto box while off the car. at least then i will know i have a tip top box to go back on the car when i need to replace it in the future (not too soon i hope).

Have some rep to be going on with

Bye for Now!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    08-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mini Cooper S

This is really interesting to me as a 3cm piece of wavespring dropped out of the sump with my last atf change so I know that mine isn't in mint condition (although 12k miles later the Cars driving fine). Wish this procedure was known before I had my atf and torque converter seal done.

Rep to Mr.Prawn for his research and documentary graft.

Name
    Dylan
    Last Online
    07-09-2022
    Country
    Other

It will be an easier job if the auto box is off the car, but there is no reason at all why it can't be done in the car. That's the whole reason this is of interest - no need to take the box out.

But if you are taking the box out then you may like to do some other work too, like replacing the internal filter from the torque converter side.

Leaving the box in the car, in order to gain full access to the valve body side the left hand intercooler piping and radiator needs to come out. I have just procured a second hand box with the intent of taking some photos of the valve body removal procedure, which I am currently missing from my draft guide.

Name
    TREVOR
    Last Online
    25-03-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    bmw

i will be doing this also great write up it will save alot of autoboxs from breaking have some rep

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    20-01-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 VR4 Estate

Nicely done Mr. Prawn! I had a couple of bits of wave spring come out with a previous ATF change so would be very interested in this

While we're on the subject of AT servicing, where in the UK have people taken their AT boxes to be rebuilt/reconditioned?

Name
    Dylan
    Last Online
    07-09-2022
    Country
    Other

If you have already noticed pieces coming out you should put this job on your urgent list. Once bits have broken off, the remaining wave spring can move about loosely and the ends can poke out through various gaps around the recess it's retained in jamming up and damaging other components or snapping off and going through the pump destroying the box.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I have never done this procedure, although I am more than willing to try! It makes a lot of sense - I have heard of several boxes with bits of wave spring appearing from the sump when the fluid was drained. I guess those are the lucky ones where the box didn't destroy itself when the spring started to disintegrate. I have to agree with the advice give though, if you have seen bits of wave spring leave your box and it is still working, don't delay getting the job done - the rest is still in there somewhere!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

This is brilliant news. I daresay that a lot of the 'unexplained' Autobox failures have been because of this.

One comment I would make though - I presume if one has had bits of mangled wave spring drop out at ATF change time, it would be wise to replace the gearbox filter too? What I'm thinking is bits of old, broken wave spring could still be floating around the filter - if one worked loose and got spat around the internals, it could still be game over.

The only downside is that alters the job from in situ to gearbox out, doesn't it.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Good advice, K.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

Sounds like a time to have a look at the box I've got sat out side just need the time and better weather to get my garage sorted.

Name
    TREVOR
    Last Online
    25-03-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    bmw

were abouts is the internal filter located then

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

You need to take the bell housing of to get at it, and you can only do that with box out.

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Right, time to ditch the performance plans, and start saving for this plus a tc seal considering the mileage of my car

Name
    Dylan
    Last Online
    07-09-2022
    Country
    Other

That's right, to change the filter you need to take the gearbox out because it can only be replaced from the torque converter (engine) side. If you don't want to take the box out now, then the perfect time to replace the filter is when your torque converter seal is being replaced.

However, if you have a strong magnetic pickup tool (pref. neodymium) then you can poke around the filter to look for any pieces that may be lodged in the plastic body or the element underneath. Those neodymium magnets pretty forcefully snap to anything within a few centimetre radius and you will know if it finds anything, even inside the filter.

It has been reported that the wave spring pieces can make their way around the edge of the filter element due to manufacturing fault. Whether this affected all of our cars or only some.. who knows.

While looking around with the magnet for pieces that hadn't flowed out when the ATF was drained I found another piece sitting in the bottom of the box. It's really worth your while to have a good look while you have it all apart.

Name
    TREVOR
    Last Online
    25-03-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    bmw

tried to order the bits today from mitsi and they could`nt find the part no`s an there database they said the wave spring part no wasnt even for a mitsubishi

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS
    My Garage
    Visit

ha ha ha Which Mitsubishi dealer was that?

Chris Variava rang me today to ask me to wait whilst they wait from price confirmation from Japan and that they hadnt forgotten me!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Dylan
    Last Online
    07-09-2022
    Country
    Other

I've confirmed those part numbers in person at a Mitsubishi dealer in Japan where I purchased them from and in an email quote from Ralliart NZ. For a few of the parts I also got a local quote from a dealer here in Australia. Wave Spring is definitely the one for us. Perhaps your dealer is just a lazy idiot, so best find another one that is actually helpful & enthusiastic.. they do exist!

Name
    TREVOR
    Last Online
    25-03-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    bmw

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    ha ha ha Which Mitsubishi dealer was that?

Chris Variava rang me today to ask me to wait whilst they wait from price confirmation from Japan and that they hadnt forgotten me!
    donnelly group in londonderry main mitsi dealer in n.ireland, havent a clue what i was on about see what tomorrow brings ,sent an email to the parts guy tonight of the info on this post

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast