Thread: What oil & what qty of oil

Last Online
    02-03-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

What oil & what qty of oil

Should be used in my 2.5 v6 galant (98).
    Also what oil for the auto box ?
    Best filters?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There is no perfect answer to that. Search the site (you might have to be clever with your search parameters) because I'm sure there is a lot of info already on here.

Personally, I would not put less than semi-synthetic in a V6 and I would rather put in fully. I would use 5W40 in the engine. The gearbox needs to be Mitsubishi SPIII compatible. Hyundai ATF meets the requirement IIRC and is about the cheapest fluid out there that does. Take some containers into your local Hyundai dealer. The best fluid available is IMO Amsoil ATF. It's not cheap, but IMO it is good value. Full membership on this site gets you a 15% discount from the UK importer which helps a bit! Mitsubishi OE filters are apparently very good, but they aren't cheap either. Amsoil can supply a good filter, or talk to your local motor factors.

Your car should need less than but close to 5 litres for the engine and probably over 10 litres for the auto box.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

4.3L of engine oil

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Yep I think you get a bit of change left from a 5 litre container in the engine, I use amsoil 5W30 fully synthetic and it's nice stuff. While you're getting oil from amsoil you might as well pick up one of their filters which are also supposed to be good.
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

Don't know about being supposed to; they filter at 98.7% efficiency at 15 microns.
    If any other filter can get within 25% of that I would be interested and surprised.
    One of the few good things to result from the Iraq war!
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

I switched to 0W-30 (fully synthetic) from a 10W-40 (semi-synthetic) last November.

I noticed an immediate improvement in smoothness, engine revs better, starts easier and tappets less noisy.

Due to a lot of very short trips, I am having another oil & filter change today - again 0W-30 (Amsoil). Mileage is now just under 150,000.

An extract from a very useful (to me, anyway) article by Dr. A E Haas :

"We left off discussing that a 0W-30 weight oil is not thinner than a 10W-30 oil. They both have the same thickness at operating temperature. The 0W-30 simply does not get as thick on cooling as the 10W-30. Both are still way to thick to lubricate an engine at startup."

Full (very long) article here :

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...=haas_articles

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I put the 0w30 Amsoil SSO in the Saab just after Christmas along with an Amsoil filter as part of a service. I'm now easily getting 60-70 miles more per tank, the car seems to get up to temperature quicker and feels alot smoother too.

I don't know what oil was in the car previously and as I made so many changes at the same time I can't specifically say it's the Amsoil that has made the difference, but I do have piece of mind that the oil the car has now is doing a very good job of protecting the important parts.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Last Online
    25-03-2010
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    Galant 2.5 MT

I'm using this site -> LINK to choose the right type and capacity of lubricants

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

It is a good site but not 100%, I don't think any site like this can be perfect. Edge 0w-30 is a good oil and more than suitable for the VR4. Not as good as SSO but availability may well be a consideration. It has taken many years to get VR4 owners to use the thinner top quality oils, many now notice the benefits in easier starting , faster warm ups , better economy and smoother running.
    Not sure about the others but Amsoil also keeps the internal so very clean too. Given it also lasts longer the best is actually cheaper than the rest. Never mind the extra MPG. Just don't be drawn into the 5w-40 oils being pushed on some threads. Their only advantage in practice is that they will better mask a mechanical defect; then again a 15w-50 would do even better in this respect.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    06-11-2023
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Galant vr4 1997

Not prepared to pay $23 per litre in Australia for Amsoil...
    Have used Penrite, Nulon and now sticking to Mobil 1 10/30 and a K&N 1010 filter.
    5 US sealed quarts, I K&N filter delivered to the door for $95 dollars.

Found Harold on Ebay and can highly recommend him for Aussies!

http://www.performancelub.com/

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

This thread is for 2.5 V6 NA not VR4 so what you choose is not as relevant - but price is not really an issue - AMSOIL may cost more, but lasts longer, definitely beter value for money if you use it for the long period that it is effectivea nd maybe best oil for all our cars...