Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Manual gearbox conversion

Please excuse my ignorance on this question but can you use a complete set-up (apart) from the dash to convert a TT Vr4 Legnum using a 4wd ST-R manual gearbox Etc ?

Thanks guys, Steve.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

I would of thought you could.
    Ped box , gear selector, clutch master cylender ect same as v6.
    Not sure if str box is as strong as vr4.
    Also not 100% that transfer box will fit but a quick look at asa will answer that.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Also check the starter motor position on the bellhousing. I am pretty sure that is different on the FWD cars to the VR4 - not sure where it sits on the STR.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Also check the starter motor position on the bellhousing. I am pretty sure that is different on the FWD cars to the VR4 - not sure where it sits on the STR.
    Thanks Nick, would it be possible that the 4wd st-r starter might just be in the same place as the Vr4?

Also are the drive shafts the same thickness and same amount of splines, that`s if you have any idea of course?

Any help is better than none and your time is appreciated!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I have no idea I'm afraid. Bradc may know a bit more?

I *think* that on the FWD cars the starter is a bit higher, meaning it sits where the front turbo is on a VR4. My best guess would be that the design bods at Mitsy didn't need to re-invent the wheel, so a 4WD system will use as many common parts as sensibly possible.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    I have no idea I'm afraid. Bradc may know a bit more?

I *think* that on the FWD cars the starter is a bit higher, meaning it sits where the front turbo is on a VR4. My best guess would be that the design bods at Mitsy didn't need to re-invent the wheel, so a 4WD system will use as many common parts as sensibly possible.
    I see your point Nick, it`s that big question do I dissable two cars to find that this won`t work
    The safe way is to just buy a manual Vr4 but the difference in cost is looking weighty towards the Vr4 and I thought that the 4wd St-r could be a good alternative perhaps?
    I did think of Bradc.........

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Yes you can fit an ST-R box onto a VR-4. In fact you can even fit a VR-4 box and transfer case onto a 6A12 Mivec from an FTO!

As far as I can tell all 6A13, 6A13TT and 6A12's can have the gearboxes and stuff swapped between them with no drama. You will have to use an ST-R transfer case with the ST-R box though, the ST-R one is a bit smaller.

As for strength - the ST-R box is smaller and lighter so you'd imagine it isn't as strong. However Andy (The Vee) has been running his V6-24 (basically a 2wd manual st-r) on the original box for a very long time now with no problems. The ST-R box is identical in everyway apart from the output to the transfer case (obviously)

The clutch on an ST-R is smaller, a 220mm unit whereas a VR-4 has a 240mm. Interestingly though the ST-R clutch part number is the same as a 7G VR-4 which make quite a bit less power and torque than an 8G VR-4 (206kw and 363nm vs 177kw and 309nm) I don't know how well it would handle the increased power long term, you're probably better to ask some of the 7G guys who have increased their power output to 8G levels or higher.

The transfer case - I simply don't know! It is smaller than a VR-4 one and isn't shared with any higher output cars, so I guess it might be ok or it might not be.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason