Thread: Sucking knowledge like a vampire...

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Sucking knowledge like a vampire...

Did the walbro fuel pump upgrade today as the first part of my tinkering spree, didn't notice a difference but more leeway for later. Thought I'd ask a few questions while I was at it,

1) Evo owners bitch a whole lot about VTA blow off valves reducing fuel economy and power, why do we not?

2) Things I'm looking at getting sound ok? Wideband o2, openport 2.0 cable and evoscan, and bigger FMIC. Then looking at seeing if I can tinker with the ECU using above cable a little.

If it helps I have David's old VR4, debbie. There's more questions to come, just got to think of them

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

1) We are not at the cutting edge of development. And Evo owners always want too much! But there have occasionally been mentions of the effect on fuel economy (although not power) for the VR-4. I suspect it's the way that the VR-4 generates power compared to the Evo, i.e. lower rpm-spooling turbos lovely V6 smoothness, etc.

2) All sounds fine. I guess you'll need ECUFlash to tinker with the ECU? Someone else can confirm that, I'm sure. Just be careful!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Hence why I'm buying an o2 first Yeah, I doubt I have the competency to touch timing tables so probably just fluff around with the afr's and boost cut.

Probably could cut that first sentence on #1 off early after the word "lot"

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

VTA does affect fuel economy, and also will result in less "smoothness". As Nev says, the effects are a lot harder to notice on the VR4 - the fuel economy is already pathetic, and the smoothness of the engine makes up for a lot.

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Another question, why is it whenever I'm reading posts I always run accross the term "INSERT INTO post VALUES", did you guys used to run a lookup script or something

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Patryn999
    Another question, why is it whenever I'm reading posts I always run accross the term "INSERT INTO post VALUES", did you guys used to run a lookup script or something
    You are certainly looking at a number of old posts! These came into being in around 2005, I think, after a database crash. I am prepared to stand corrected though!

They tend to get removed as and when they're spotted, or brought to mods' attention.

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Yeah, I have been sifting around the posts finding out information. Research is always a good thing before you go dickering around with stuff

Haha, stoked. Took my ECU out today, opened it up and its a 1997 PFL, with 7202F micro on it. Yay.

Now need to buy a 2.0 openport cable to start my adventure.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Just don't blow anything up!

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Haha, I've already had to repair the ECU in the levin, as well as the Body-Control-Module in my mates calais... so I might err on the side of caution. I may be owed some mechanical help for that but probably not replace-the-engine magnitude of work

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

If anyone is still reading this, I'm curious as to why we require a FMIC upgrade? The thing is pretty large as it is, so poor flow? or do our turbo's just generate too much heat as they're near their limit?

Cheers

Name
    Dale
    Last Online
    15-09-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mazda6,EG Civic

They don't "require" an upgrade anymore than does the BOVs, brakes, etc, etc blah blah blah.

You didn't NEED to upgrade your Fuel pump but you did and it's for much the same reasons I would think. At some point that FMIC will become a weak point in the overall mods plan.
    I'm not arguing...I'm just offering an endless series of contrary points of view.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

It's because of the size of the turbos - as you run them closer and closer to their limits, they get hotter and hotter, which means more fuel and/or less timing. Keeping the temps down just allows you to get the same load at lower temps, which means reduced chance of detonation, which means less need to fill the bores with fuel every cycle

Name
    Scottie
    Last Online
    09-02-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1996 VR4 Legnum

along with the whole VTA blow off valve topic whats the best one to relpace the stock with i mean VTA isnt necessary to me i wouldnt mind a bit of a psst though what do people recomend

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I believe that the GFB Stealth FX dump valve allows you to adjust between full VTA and full recirc, thus allowing you to select a suitable size of pssssht in between!

is your friend. Or Wodj...

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Personally, I'd buy any recirc (forge or HKS SQV with a recirc kit) with a decent strength spring. You can buy a metal bung and insert it into the return pipe from the DV, and drill holes in it, which make the PSSSHT noise back into the inlet. It sounds cooler IMO.