Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

Brake disc change

im looking into changing my breaks sometime soon. but im looking for a guide on how to replace them. before i get flamed, i have done a search in the "Resources" section. and i have found one guide (HERE). but it's not for a vr4. you might say just use it, but the heading of the .pdf file is "How to change Mitsi Brakes
    2.5L V6 Galant (not VR4)"...and as it it states, it's not for a vr4. how much of a difference is there and could i use this guide to fit some new disc's etc?

i want to change them soon. as my real passenger disc has just started to bind a bit. i know i could simply grease the pins, but as im at it, i might as well change the things. they're around 50% worn as it is. plus i need to re-paint the callipers and the surrounds. as the previous owner done a really bad job at it.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

no difference. i used this guide http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18884 when i did mine ..spot on..

and here...http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18885
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Do your best to avoid snapping the damn caliper bolts! As I found out to my detriment
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

Quote Originally Posted by ANTHONY
    no difference. i used this guide http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18884 when i did mine ..spot on..

and here...http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18885
    thanks for the confirmation anthony. i will be using the guides to help me fit em.

been looking around for some good road disc and pads and im on a minimal budget. i've found a few (thanks to some links from other people on here) but im still undecided on what to get or if i have the correct ones.

i was thinking on going with the following set up:-
    front
    discs with Pads

rear
    discs and pads set

what do you all think? should i go for it or not? remember im on a very thin budget. or can you all recommend a different set up?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Don't by those front discs - they are the wrong fitment. You need these:

http://www.potn.co.uk/ebc-brakes-mit...4_p1139331.htm

Which puts the price up a bit.

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Lo There,

Those discs are 4 stud jobbies not for the VR. Wodj had link to some brake packages which were great value for money, maybe he can post that up..

Cheers

EDIT: Just got there too late :-)

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by pezza
    Wodj had link to some brake packages which were great value for money, maybe he can post that up..
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISHI-EVO...item230433a599

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Thats the one...

Great proce esp with the braided hoses...

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

thanks guys. i thought that the price was too good to be true...there had to be a catch in there somewhere.

thanks wodjno for that link. and OMG. what a price for what your getting. will they fit onto my 97 PFL? as they are for the evo 4. there will be no problem fitting around the alloys. as i've got evo 9 alloys fitted to the car. i was just wondering about the callipers etc

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit9
    thanks guys. i thought that the price was too good to be true...there had to be a catch in there somewhere.

thanks wodjno for that link. and OMG. what a price for what your getting. will they fit onto my 97 PFL? as they are for the evo 4. there will be no problem fitting around the alloys. as i've got evo 9 alloys fitted to the car. i was just wondering about the callipers etc
    No worries..

Early EVO 4 brakes are identical to VR4's

294mm fronts and 284mm rears Just the Jobby.. nd yes they are a good price for an all round set-up

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

I ran the CRN 40 grooved all round on mine coupled with carbotechs. i loved the stopping power plus its a comfotable price to pay for peace of mind of new discs all round!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

my wife is going to kill me

thanks again wodjno for that link. i've gone and bought the set. hopefully i'll get them fitted before i go to wales next weekend.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit9
    my wife is going to kill me

thanks again wodjno for that link. i've gone and bought the set. hopefully i'll get them fitted before i go to wales next weekend.
    Feck

I shudda contacted that Ebay member and asked for a percentage of the sales i generate

Thats 2 sales i've given him this week

Cheers

Wodj

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

Quote Originally Posted by Wodjno
    Feck

I shudda contacted that Ebay member and asked for a percentage of the sales i generate

Thats 2 sales i've given him this week

Cheers

Wodj
    you should mate....you never know, they might just give you something for the business that you've passed their way.

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

sorry for the double post...but i have a question to ask.

i was just about to buy some "RED RUBBER GREASE" from opie oils and i thought i'll have a look for some brake fluid whilst i was at it. i found this "HERE". would anyone recommend this or would i be better off getting some "Super Blue Brake fluid"

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

I've just fitted a set of the crn discs to mine, and so far they seem ok, they just need bedding in properly now

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

***UPDATE***
    ok, so it is time to fit the new disc's, pads and hoses. and immediately spotted a problem.

problem #1: i jacked the car up on the ramp and had a good look on the hoses. and without taking them off, you can see that they are the wrong type for the vr4. ok, i do know that i bought the evo 4 package, but the connections on the rear are different. so fitting the hose is out of the question.

problem #2: following the above linked guides, in "step 2" it quotes "so arm yourself with a 14mm socket or spanner and crack off the bottom calliper bolt so that you can get at the pads". first of all, its a 17mm head bolt not a 14mm. with the bottom bolt finally out, there is no way that the callipers can get removed. so i decided to loosen the top bolt. now this is where i have it a brick wall. the bolt is well and truly stuck in there. i have put two different types of release oil on there and it's still stuck on tight. the closed head spanner that i used, has now rounded off the bolt head. so i cant use the spanner no more. so i resorted to my ratchet and socket. in the end, i had put a scaffolding pole on it, to extend the ratchet. after a few bumps on the pole (making sure that i dont shear the bold) the ratchet broke. i am now stuck. the only thing i could do is to put everything back together. as i needed the car to pick up the daughter from school.

im going to get a right angle ratchet bar in the next few days and try again somehow. as the ramp is booked out now until next week

but can anyone suggest a way around my problems???

it was suggested at work, to heat up the area surrounding the bolt. but i rather not do that. as there could be a good chance of melting or damaging the break hose or something ells.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

evo lines dont suit the vr4, front might but only if there long enough,
    rears wont as its a diff fitting

when you change the pads you dont take the caliper off,
    you remove the 14mm guide bolt at the bottom outer edge and flip the caliper upwards

you only take off the 17mm bolt that holds the caliper on to change disks

1/2inch power/breaker bar with a 6 sided socket, and soak the bolt in crc for a while,
    or give the head of the bolt a smack with a hammer (being careful not to **** it up) sometimes helps
    Last edited by Gly; 22-06-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

both caliper bolts are def 14mm.

Are you sure your not taking off the carriers that are screwed to the hubs? they are 17mm

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

As soon as I had the car up on the ramp, I noticed that the hoses wouldn’t fit…oh well…will be selling them soon.

Ok, so here’s a question for everybody, im going to be changing the discs and the pads. So instead of trying to raise the calliper (by removing the bottom 14mm (17mm on my car) bolt) to change the pads, would it be easier for me to take the whole calliper housing (not sure if that the correct name for it) off, then change the pads that way? As I have to take them off anyhow to replace the discs.

As ive mentioned above, I don’t have two 14mm and two 17mm bolts just for the callipers. All four bolts are 17mm. by the way, I have only tried to change the pads and disc on the drivers side wheel. I’ve not had a look at the others. So im only going by that one side.

I’ve already got a six sided 17mm socket, I just need to get hold of a bar that will fit the socket. As I bust the ratchet drive trying to get this blood bolt loose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast